PDGFRβ expression in tumor stroma of pancreatic adenocarcinoma as a reliable prognostic marker
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pancreatic adenocarcinoma is a lethal disease that often develops a desmoplastic reaction in tumor stroma. In general, desmoplasia is thought to promote tumor growth. However, its molecular pathology and prognostic potential have not been fully investigated. Here, we investigate 26 cases of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and examine the clinicopathological association between survival and expression levels of several molecular markers for stromal cells. These include alpha-smooth muscle actin (SMA) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) receptor β (PDGFRβ). Both are markers of activated fibroblasts or pancreatic stellate cells (PSCs) that play an important role in desmoplasia. The staining patterns of both molecular markers were not uniform, so we categorized them into 3 grades (high, middle, and low) according to intensity. Interestingly, Kaplan–Meier analysis revealed that higher expression of PDGFRβ matched shorter prognosis (p = 0.0287, log-rank test) as well as lymphatic invasion and lymph node metastasis, whereas SMA did not (p = 0.6122). Our results suggest the prognostic potential of cancer stroma via PDGF-B signaling. Regulation of PDGF-B-associated signaling crosstalk between cancer cells and stroma cells, therefore, may indicate a possible therapeutic target for desmoplastic malignant tumors such as pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Burris HA, Moore MJ, Andersen J, et al. Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 1997;15:2403–13.
- Katz MHG, Hwang R, Fleming JB, et al. Tumor-node-metastasis staging of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008;58:111–25. CrossRef
- Smith RA, Tang J, Tudur-Smith C, et al. Meta-analysis of immunohistochemical prognostic markers in resected pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer. 2011;104:1440–51. CrossRef
- Singh P, Srinivasan R, Wig JD. Major molecular markers in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and their roles in screening, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. Pancreas. 2011;40:644–52. CrossRef
- Mitsunaga S, Hasebe T, Iwasaki M, et al. Important prognostic histological parameters for patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the pancreas. Cancer Sci. 2005;96:858–65. CrossRef
- Farrow B, Albo D, Berger DH. The role of the tumor microenvironment in the progression of pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res. 2008;149:319–28. CrossRef
- Erkan M, Reiser-Erkan C, Michalski CW, et al. Tumor microenvironment and progression of pancreatic cancer. Exp Oncol. 2010;32:128–31.
- Kalluri R, Zeisberg M. Fibroblasts in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer. 2006;6:392–401. CrossRef
- Watsky MA, Weber KT, Sun Y, et al. New insights into the mechanism of fibroblast to myofibroblast transformation and associated pathologies. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2010;282:165–92. CrossRef
- Tang WW, Ulich TR, Lacey DL, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor-BB induces renal tubulointerstitial myofibroblast formation and tubulointerstitial fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 1996;148:1169–80.
- Kaur H, Chaurasia SS, de Medeiros FW, et al. Corneal stroma PDGF blockade and myofibroblast development. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:960–5. CrossRef
- Paulsson J, Sjöblom T, Micke P, et al. Prognostic significance of stromal platelet-derived growth factor beta-receptor expression in human breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2009;175:334–41. CrossRef
- Betsholtz C. Insight into the physiological functions of PDGF through genetic studies in mice. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2004;15:215–28. CrossRef
- Ostman A, Heldin C-H. PDGF receptors as targets in tumor treatment. Adv Cancer Res. 2007;97:247–74. CrossRef
- Apperley JF, Gardembas M, Melo JV, et al. Response to imatinib mesylate in patients with chronic myeloproliferative diseases with rearrangements of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:481–7. CrossRef
- Japan Panceas Society. Classification of pancreatic carcinoma. 3rd ed. Tokyo: Kanehara Co.; 2011.
- Edge SB. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer; 2009.
- Omary MB, Lugea A, Lowe AW, et al. The pancreatic stellate cell: a star on the rise in pancreatic diseases. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:50–9. CrossRef
- Erkan M, Michalski CW, Rieder S, et al. The activated stroma index is a novel and independent prognostic marker in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:1155–61. CrossRef
- Apte MV, Haber PS, Applegate TL, et al. Periacinar stellate shaped cells in rat pancreas: identification, isolation, and culture. Gut. 1998;43:128–33. CrossRef
- Masamune A, Watanabe T, Kikuta K, et al. Roles of pancreatic stellate cells in pancreatic inflammation and fibrosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7:S48–54. CrossRef
- Apte MV, Park S, Phillips PA, et al. Desmoplastic reaction in pancreatic cancer: role of pancreatic stellate cells. Pancreas. 2004;29:179–87. CrossRef
- Bachem MG, Schünemann M, Ramadani M, et al. Pancreatic carcinoma cells induce fibrosis by stimulating proliferation and matrix synthesis of stellate cells. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:907–21. CrossRef
- Hwang RF, Moore T, Arumugam T, et al. Cancer-associated stromal fibroblasts promote pancreatic tumor progression. Cancer Res. 2008;68:918–26. CrossRef
- Vonlaufen A, Joshi S, Qu C, et al. Pancreatic stellate cells: partners in crime with pancreatic cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2008;68:2085–93. CrossRef
- Hägglöf C, Hammarsten P, Josefsson A, et al. Stromal PDGFRbeta expression in prostate tumors and non-malignant prostate tissue predicts prostate cancer survival. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10747. CrossRef
- Forsberg K, Valyi-Nagy I, Heldin CH, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) in oncogenesis: development of a vascular connective tissue stroma in xenotransplanted human melanoma producing PDGF-BB. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1993;90:393–7. CrossRef
- Shao ZM, Nguyen M, Barsky SH. Human breast carcinoma desmoplasia is PDGF initiated. Oncogene. 2000;19:4337–45. CrossRef
- Zeisberg M, Strutz F, Müller GA. Role of fibroblast activation in inducing interstitial fibrosis. J Nephrol. 2000;13:S111–20.
- Bronzert DA, Pantazis P, Antoniades HN, et al. Synthesis and secretion of platelet-derived growth factor by human breast cancer cell lines. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1987;84:5763–7. CrossRef
- PDGFRβ expression in tumor stroma of pancreatic adenocarcinoma as a reliable prognostic marker
Volume 29, Issue 4 , pp 2824-2830
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- Tumor stroma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Translational Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido University, Kita 15, Nishi 7, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-8638, Japan
- 2. Medical Scientist Training Program, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-0033, Japan
- 3. Division of Gastroenterological and General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Asahikawa Medical College, 1-1 Midori-ga-oka Higashi 2-jo 1-chome, Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaido, 078-8510, Japan