Bortezomib-based chemotherapy for light chain deposition disease presenting as acute renal failure
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We report a case of kappa light chain deposition disease (LCDD) associated with multiple myeloma in a patient presenting with acute renal failure, 2+ proteinuria and hypercalcemia. Serum protein electrophoresis showed an M-spike at 0.1 g/dL. 24-h urine protein electrophoresis showed Bence-Jones proteinuria of 3.8 g. Serum-free light chain assay found excess kappa chains at 3080 mg/L, with normal lambda and an elevated kappa:lambda ratio of 124.7. A kidney biopsy revealed kappa light chain nephropathy with PAS-negative tubular casts in the cortex and outer medulla. Bone marrow biopsy showed 15% kappa-restricted plasma cells. Serum beta-2 microglobulin level was elevated at 7.94 mg/dL. The patient received a 3-day course of plasmapheresis followed by eight cycles of bortezomib (Velcade®), liposomal doxorubicin, and dexamethasone (VDD) and did not require hemodialysis. As partial response was not achieved, treatment was continued with three cycles of bortezomib, cyclophosphamide, dexamethasone, and thalidomide, followed by thalidomide maintenance at 100 mg daily. Thirty-two months after the diagnosis, the patient’s renal function was improved and he achieved a partial response. This case underlines the feasibility and effectiveness of bortezomib-based chemotherapy in the treatment of LCDD with severe renal dysfunction.
- Randall RE, Williamson WC Jr, Mullinax F, Tung MY, Still WJ. Manifestations of systemic light chain deposition. Am J Med. 1976;69:703–10.
- Seymour AE, Thompson AJ, Smith PS, Woodroffe AJ, Clarkson AR. Kappa light chain glomerulosclerosis in multiple myeloma. Am J Pathol. 1980;101:557–80.
- Pozzi C, et al. Light chain deposition disease with renal involvement: clinical characteristics and prognostic factors. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:1154–63. CrossRef
- Ronco PM, Alyanakian MA, Mougenot B, Aucouturier P. Light chain deposition disease: a model of glomerulosclerosis defined at the molecular level. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:1558–65.
- Gokden N, Barlogie B, Liapis H. Morphologic heterogeneity of renal light-chain deposition disease. Ultrastruct Pathol. 2008;32(1):17–24. CrossRef
- Solomon A. Bence-Jones proteins and light chains of immunoglobulins. N Engl J Med. 1976;294:91–8. CrossRef
- Strober W, Waldmann TA. The role of the kidney in the metabolism of plasma proteins. Nephron. 1974;13:35–66. CrossRef
- Melmed GM, Fenves AZ, Stone MJ. Urinary findings in renal light chain-derived amyloidosis and light chain deposition disease. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma. 2009;9(3):234–8. CrossRef
- Ronco P, Plaisier E, Mougenot B, Aucouturier P. Immunoglobulin light (heavy)-chain deposition disease: from molecular medicine to pathophysiology-driven therapy. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;1:1342–50. CrossRef
- Zhu L, Herrera GA, Murphy-Ullrich JE, Huang ZQ, Sanders PW. Pathogenesis of glomerulosclerosis in light chain deposition disease. role for transforming growth factor-beta. Am J Pathol. 1995;147:375–85.
- Hootkins R, Fenvez AZ, Stephens MK. Acute renal failure secondary to oral ciprofloxacin therapy: a presentation of three cases and a review of the literature. Clin Nephrol. 1989;32:75–8.
- Stratta P, Lazzarich E, Canavese C, Bozzolo C, Monga G. Ciprofloxacin crystal nephropathy. Am J Kidney Dis. 2007;50:330–5. CrossRef
- Heilman RL, Velosa JA, Holley KE, Offord KP, Kyle RA. Long-term follow-up and response to chemotherapy in patients with light-chain deposition disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 1992;20:34–41.
- Royer B. High dose chemotherapy in light chain or light and heavy chain deposition disease. Kidney Int. 2004;65:642–8. CrossRef
- Lorenz EC. Long-term outcome of autologous stem cell transplantation in light chain deposition disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23:2052–7. CrossRef
- Chanan-Khan AA, Kaufman JL, Mehta J, et al. Activity and safety of bortezomib in multiple myeloma patients with advanced renal failure: a multicenter retrospective study. Blood. 2007;109:2604–6. CrossRef
- Hideshima T. NF-kappa B as a therapeutic target in multiple myeloma. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:16639–47. CrossRef
- Gilmore TD. Multiple myeloma: lusting for NF-kappaB. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:95–7. CrossRef
- Bortezomib-based chemotherapy for light chain deposition disease presenting as acute renal failure
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 1197-1201
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Light chain deposition disease
- Renal failure
- Industry Sectors