Reproductive factors associated with breast cancer risk in northern Iran
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Breast cancer is a common malignancy for women in most parts of the world and the incidence in Iranian women is growing. The patients are relatively younger than their western counterparts. The aim of study was to investigate the roles of reproductive factors for breast cancer in Babol. In a case–control study in Babol, we recruited a total of 100 new patients with histologically confirmed breast cancer and 200 age-matched controls selected from outpatient clinics. Demographic and reproductive factors were ascertained by in-person interview using a constructed questionnaire. Several potential confounding factors were adjusted using multiple logistic model. The adjusted odds ratio showed that having higher age at first pregnancy and abortion were associated with increased breast cancer risk (the adjusted OR = 4.1, 95% CI: 1.3–13.2 and 2.93, 95% CI: 1.64–5.24, respectively). By increasing parity, the risk had reduced significantly; among women with parity ≥5, the adjusted OR was 0.09 (95% CI 0.01–0.7) compared with nulliparous women, and also for each additional parity, the risk reduced by 50% (OR = 0.50, 95% CI: 0.34–0.71). The duration of breast feeding was inversely associated with breast cancer risk, while after additional adjustment for parity, no longer the protective effect of breast feeding was observed. Nulliparity, late age at first birth and abortion were the most important reproductive factors associated with breast cancer risk; therefore, it is recommended to women with these risk factors to perform breast cancer screening tests earlier.
- Parkin DM, Bary FL, Devesa SS. Cancer burden in the year 2000. The global picture. Eur J Can. 2001;37:s4–66. CrossRef
- Yavari P, Mosazadeh M, Sadrolhafezi B, Khodabekhshi R, Madani H. The effect of factors related to reproductive on the risk of breast cancer: a case control study. Iranian Epidemiol J. 2005;1(2):11–9.
- Hajian-Tilaki K, Firouzjaii, AR, Taghi Kia M. An epidemiology study on the age pattern of different cancers in Babol (Iran) 2001. Res J Med Shahid Beheshti Uni. 2003; 27(3):239–245.
- Pisani P. Breast cancer: geographic variation and risk factors. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 1992;11(5–6):36–47.
- Ravichandran K, Al-Zahrani AS. Association of reproductive factors with the incidence of breast cancer in Gulf Cooperation Council countries. East Mediterr Health J. 2009;15(3):612–21.
- Huo D, Adebamowo CA, Oguundiran TO, Akang EE, Campbell O, Adenipekum A, et al. Parity and breast feeding are protective against breast cancer in Nigerian women. BJ Cancer. 2008;98(5):992–6. CrossRef
- Beaber EF, Holt VL, Malone KE, Porter PL, Daling JR, Li CI. Reproductive factors, age at maximum height, and risk of three histopathologic types of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker Prev. 2008;17(12):3427–34. CrossRef
- Pourthoseingholi MA, Mehrabi Y, Alavi-Majd H, Yavari P, Safaee A. Association between risk of breast cancer and fertility factors: a latent variable approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2008;9(2):309–12.
- Gajalakshmi V, Mathew A, Brennan P, Rajan B, Kanimozhi VC, Mathews A, et al. Breast feeding and breast cancer risk in India: a multicenter case control study. In J Cancer. 2009;125(3):662–5.
- Kruk J. Association of life style and other risk factors with breast cancer according to menopausal status: a case-control study in the Region of western Pomerania (Poland). Asia Pac J Cancer. 2007;8(4):513–24.
- Speroff L, Fritz MA. Clioncal gynecology and infertility. 7 edn. LW &W com; 2005 pp 589–599.
- Shantakumar S, Terry MB, Britton JA, Millikan RC, Moorman PC. Reproductive factors and breast cancer risk among older women. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007;102(3):365–74. CrossRef
- Iwasaki M, Otani T, Inone M, Sasazaki S, Tiugane S. Role and impact of menstrual and reproductive factors on breast cancer in Japan. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2007;16(2):116–23. CrossRef
- Tamakoshi K, Yatasuya H, Wakaik K, Susuki S, Nishio K, Lin Y, et al. Impact cancer risk in Japan: results of the JACC study cancer. Med Sci. 2006;96(1):57–62.
- Oritz Mendoza CM, Galvan Martinez EA. Reproductive risk factors for breast cancer in patients attended at a second level urban hospital. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2007;76(1):11s–6s.
- Ma H, Bernstein L, Pike MC, Ursine G. Reproductive factors and breast cancer risk according to joint estrogen and progesterone receptor status: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Breast Cancer Res. 2006;8(4):43. CrossRef
- McPherson K, Steel CM, Dixon JM. ABC of breast disease. Breast cancer-epidemiology, risk factors, and genetics. Br Med J. 2000;321(7):62–8. CrossRef
- Lambe M, Hjieh C, Trichopnlos D, Ekbom A, Pavia M, Adami HO. Transient increase in the risk of breast cancer after given birth. New Engl J Med. 1996;331:5. CrossRef
- Andrieu N, Cottgar DE, Easten DF, Rookus M, Brohet R, Antoniou AC, et al. Pregnancies, breastfeeding and cancer risk in the International BRCA1/2 Carrier Cohort Study (IBCCS). J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98(8):535–55. CrossRef
- Sweeney C, Baumgartner KB, Byers T, Herrick JS, Slattery ML. Reproductive history in relation to breast cancer risk among. Hispanic white women. Cancer Causes Control. 2008;1(4):391–401. CrossRef
- Musey VC, Collins DC, Musey PI, Martino-saltzman D, Preedy JR. Long–term effects of a first pregnancy on the secretion of prolactin. New Engl J Med. 1987;316(5):229–34. CrossRef
- London SJ, Coldtiz GA, Stampfer MG, Willett WC, Rosner BA, Corsano K, et al. Lactation and risk of breast cancer in a cohort of US women. Am J Epidemiol. 1990;132(1):17–26.
- Kvale G, Heuch I. Lactation and risks is there a relation specific to breast cancer. J Epidemol Community Health. 1988;42(1):30–7. CrossRef
- Oran B, Celik I, Erman M, Baltali E, Zengin N. Analysis of menstrual, reproductive, and life–style factors for breast cancer risk in Turkish women: a case–control study. Med Oncol. 2004;21(1):31–40. CrossRef
- Stuebe M, Willett WC, Michels KB. Lactation and incidence of premenopausal breast cancer. A Longitudinal Study. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(1s):1364–71. CrossRef
- Newcomb PA, Storer BE, Greenberg ER, Clapp RW, Willet WC, Stampfer MJ. Lactation and a reduced risk of premenopausal breast cancer. New Engl J Med. 1994;33(2):81–7. CrossRef
- Newcomb PA, Egan KM, Titus-Ernstoff L, Trenlham-Dietz A, Greenberg ER, Willett WC, et al. Lactation in relation to postmenopausal breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 1999;150(2):174–82.
- Reproductive factors associated with breast cancer risk in northern Iran
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 441-446
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Age at first pregnancy
- Industry Sectors