Positive expression of ERCC1 predicts a poorer platinum-based treatment outcome in Chinese patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The goal of this study is to determine role of excision repair cross-complementing group 1 gene (ERCC1) and ribonucleotide reductase subunit M1 (RRM1) expression in predicting response and survival in Chinese patients with advanced stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded biopsy tissues were retrospectively obtained from 124 advanced NSCLC patients. Protein expression levels of ERCC1 and RRM1 were determined by immunohistochemistry (IHC). Associations between expression of ERCC1 and RRM1 and clinic-pathologic parameters were analyzed. The study shows that ERCC1 and RRM1 expression was detected in 43 (35%) and 50 (40%) of the 124 tumor samples, respectively. Expression of ERCC1 and RRM1 was negatively associated with tumor response. Fifty-four percent patients whose tumors did not express ERCC1 had partial response (PR) compared to 33% whose tumors expressed the protein (P = 0.022). Similarly, 54% patients whose tumor did not express RRM1 had PR compared to 36% whose tumors expression the protein (P = 0.042). Further, patients whose tumors lacked of ERCC1 but not RRM1 expression had a longer median survival time than those tumors expressed ERCC1 (13.4 months versus 9.1 months; P = 0.006), which is independent of other prognostic factors (P = 0.0066). In conclusion, tumor ERCC1 expression is associated with tumor response and patients’ survival in Chinese advanced NSCLC patients treated with platinum-based regimen and may serve as a biomarker in predicting tumor response and clinical outcome in the patient population.
- Parkin DM, Yang L, Li LD, Chen YD. Mortality time trends and the incidence and mortality estimation and projection for lung cancer in China. Chin J Lung Cancer. 2005;4:274–8.
- Park K. Second-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: past, present, and hope for the future. Cancer Res Treat. 2003;35:279–80.
- Scagliotti GV, De Marinis F, Rinaldi M, et al. Phase III randomized trial comparing three-platinum-based doublets in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:4285–91. doi:10.1200/JCO.2002.02.068. CrossRef
- Joan HS, David H, Chandra PB, et al. Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2002;346:92–8. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa011954. CrossRef
- Rosell R, Cecere F, et al. Predicting the outcome of chemotherapy for lung cancer. Curr Opin Pharm. 2006;6:323–31. doi:10.1016/j.coph.2006.01.011. CrossRef
- Crino` L, Foglietta J, Hamzaj A. Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2(Suppl 1):24–6. CrossRef
- Silvia N, Marina L, et al. Toward Therapies tailored to patient characteristics. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2(Suppl 1):38–41. doi:10.1097/01.JTO.0000268642.40826.98.
- Rosell R, Cuello M, et al. Treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer and pharmacogenomics: where we are and where we are going. Curr Opin Oncol. 2006;18:135–43. doi:10.1097/01.cco.0000208786.91947.eb. CrossRef
- Singhal S, Miller D, et al. Gene expression profiling of non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2008;60:313–24. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.03.007. CrossRef
- Shimizu J, et al. mRNA expression of RRM1, ERCC1 and ERCC2 is not associated with chemosensitivity to cisplatin, carboplatin and gemcitabine in human lung cancer cell lines. Respirology. 2008;13:510–7. doi:10.1111/j.1440-1843.2008.01302.x. CrossRef
- Wouter L, Nicolaas GJ, Jan HJ. Molecular mechanism of nucleotide excision repair. Genes Dev. 1999;13:768–85. doi:10.1101/gad.13.7.768. CrossRef
- Laura JN, Nikhil B, Richard DW. ERCC1 and non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:2538–41. doi:10.1056/NEJMc070742. CrossRef
- Bepler G, Gautam A, McIntyre LM, et al. Prognostic significance of molecular genetic aberrations on chromosome segment 11p15.5 in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:1353–60. doi:10.1200/JCO.20.5.1353. CrossRef
- Bepler G, Zheng Z, et al. Ribonucleotide reductase M1 gene promoter activity, polymorphisms, population frequencies, and clinical relevance. Lung Cancer. 2005;47:183–92. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.07.043. CrossRef
- Simon GR, et al. Nuclear excision repair-based personalized therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: from hypothesis to reality. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2007;39:1318–28. doi:10.1016/j.biocel.2007.05.006. CrossRef
- Olaussen KA, Dunant A, Fouret P, et al. DNA repair by ERCC1 in non–small-cell lung cancer and cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:983–91. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa060570. CrossRef
- Zheng Z, Chen T, Li X, et al. DNA synthesis and repair genes RRM1 and ERCC1 in lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:800–8. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa065411. CrossRef
- Ceppi P, Volante M, Novello S, et al. ERCC1 and RRM1 gene expressions but not EGFR are predictive of shorter survival in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with cisplatin and gemcitabine. Ann Oncol. 2006;17:1818–25. doi:10.1093/annonc/mdl300. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. Histological typing of lung tumors.In: International histological classification of tumors. Vol. 1, 2nd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1981.
- Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, et al. Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer. 1981;47:207–14. doi:10.1002/1097-0142(19810101)47:1<207::AID-CNCR2820470134>3.0.CO;2-6. CrossRef
- Lord RV, Brabender J, Gandara D, et al. Low ERCC1 expression correlates with prolonged survival after cisplatin plus gemcitabine chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2002;8:2286–91.
- Georage S, Anupama S, Xueli L, et al. Feasibility and efficacy of molecular analysis-directed individualized therapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;25:2741–6.
- Rosell R, Danenberg KD, Alberola V, et al. Ribonucleotide reductase messenger RNA expression and survival in gemcitabine/cisplatin-treated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:1318–25. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-03-0156. CrossRef
- Davidson JD, Ma L, Flagella M, et al. An increase in the expression of ribonucleotide reductase large subunit 1 is associated with gemcitabine resistance in non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Cancer Res. 2004;64:3761–6. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-03-3363. CrossRef
- Bepler G, Sharma S, Cantor A, et al. RRM1 and PTEN as prognostic parameters for overall and disease-free survival in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:1878–85. doi:10.1200/JCO.2004.12.002. CrossRef
- Positive expression of ERCC1 predicts a poorer platinum-based treatment outcome in Chinese patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 484-490
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Platinum-based chemotherapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Thoracic Medical Oncology, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Institute, Beijing, 100036, China
- 2. The Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Institute, Beijing, China