Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid: case report and review of the literature
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Here we report a rare case of primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland. A 32-year-old Chinese man was admitted to our hospital because of marked goiter and subcutaneous nodules. Computed tomography (CT) scan of the neck disclosed diffuse enlargement of the thyroid gland. A diagnosis of peripheral T-cell lymphoma was made according to cytopathological findings of fine-needle aspiration (FNA) of the thyroid gland and skin biopsy. Immunohistochemistry stain showed that the tumor was positive for CD3 and negative for CD20. Clonal T-cell receptor (TCR-γ) gene rearrangements were demonstrated by polymerase chain reaction. After six cycles of combination chemotherapy (bleomycin, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone), the thyroid retracted to normal size gradually.
- Ansell SM, Grant CS, Habermann TM. Primary thyroid lymphoma. Semin Oncol. 1999;26:316–23.
- Thieblemont C, Mayer A, Dumontet C, Barbier Y, Callet-Bauchu E, Felman P, Berger F, Ducottet X, Martin C, Salles G, Orgiazzi J, Coiffier B. Primary thyroid lymphoma is a heterogeneous disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:105–11. CrossRef
- Abdul-Rahman ZH, Gogas HJ, Tooze JA, Anderson B, Mansi J, Sacks NP, Finlayson CJ. T-cell lymphoma in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Histopathology. 1996;29:455–9. CrossRef
- Coltrera MD. Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid. Head Neck. 1999;21:160–3. CrossRef
- Forconi F, Bocchia M, Marconcini S, Bigazzi C, Milani M, Fraternali-Orcioni G, Lauria F. CD30 positive (non-anaplastic) peripheral T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland. Haematologica. 1999;84:946–8.
- Haciyanli M, Erkan N, Yorukoglu K, Sagol O, Harmancioglu O. Primary non-Hodgkin’s T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland complicating Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: case report. Thyroid. 2000;10:717–20. CrossRef
- Mizukami Y, Michigishi T, Nonomura A, Nakamura S, Hashimoto T, Katsuda S, Otake S, Matsubara F. Primary lymphoma of the thyroid: a clinical, histological and immunohistochemical study of 20 cases. Histopathology. 1990;17:201–9. CrossRef
- Raftopoulos I, Vanuno D, Kouraklis G. Two unusual sites of colon cancer metastases and a rare thyroid lymphoma. Case 3. Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid arising in a background of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:3576–80.
- Yamaguchi M, Ohno T, Kita K. gamma/delta T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland. New Engl J Med. 1997;336:1391–2. CrossRef
- Motoi N, Ozawa Y. Malignant T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland associated with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Pathol Int. 2005;55:425–30. CrossRef
- Colović M, Matić S, Kryeziu E, Tomin D, Colović N, Atkinson HD. Outcomes of primary thyroid non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: a series of nine consecutive cases. Med Oncol. 2007;24:203–8. CrossRef
- Koida S, Tsukasaki K, Tsuchiya T, Harasawa H, Fukushima T, Yamada Y, Ohshima K, Kamihira S, Kikuchi M, Tomonaga M. Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland with chemokine receptors of Th1 phenotype complicating autoimmune thyroiditis. Haematologica. 2007;92:e37–40. CrossRef
- Okamoto A, Namura K, Uchiyama H, Kajita Y, Inaba T, Nakamura S, Shimazake C. Cytotoxic T-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the thyroid gland. Am J Hematol. 2005;80:77–8. CrossRef
- Mizukami Y, Matsubara F, Hashimoto T, Terahata S, Ikuta N, Nakamura S, Ooi A. Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid. Acta Pathol Jpn. 1987;37:1987–95.
- Freeman HJ. T cell lymphoma of the thyroid gland in celiac disease. Can J Gastroenterol. 2000;14:635–6.
- Peng H, Du M, Diss TC, Isaacson PG, Pan L. Genetic evidence for a clonal link between low and high-grade components in gastric MALT B-cell lymphoma. Histopathology. 1997;30:425–9. CrossRef
- Cha C, Chen H, Westra WH, Udelsman R. Primary thyroid lymphoma: can the diagnosis be made solely by fine-needle aspiration? Ann Surg Oncol. 2002;9:298–320. CrossRef
- Shimoyama M, Oyama A, Tajima K, Tobinai K, Minato K, Takenaka T, Konda C, Takeyama K, Kohno A, Narabayashi M, et al. Differences in clinicopathological characteristics and major prognostic factors between B-lymphoma and peripheral T-lymphoma excluding adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 1993;10:335–42. CrossRef
- Primary T-cell lymphoma of the thyroid: case report and review of the literature
Volume 25, Issue 4 , pp 462-466
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press Inc
- Additional Links
- Thyroid lymphoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Shuai Fu Yuan 1#, DongCheng District, Beijing, 100730, P.R. China
- 2. Department of Hematology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Shuai Fu Yuan 1#, DongCheng District, Beijing, 100730, P.R. China