Disseminated Carcinoma Diagnosed by Bone Marrow Biopsy in Patients with Microangiopathic Hemolytic Anemia and Thrombocytopenia: A Report of Two Cases with Gastric Cancer and a Review of the Literature
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Malignancy is often associated with hematological disorders, but rarely is the diagnosis of malignancy secondary to the diagnosis of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia.
We report hereby two patients with metastatic gastric carcinoma presenting with microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia. Despite chemotherapy and repeated plasmapheresis in one patient, both patients succumbed shortly after the diagnosis of cancer was made.
A review of the literature regarding microangiopathic hemolytic anemia in cancer patients is discussed. In patients suffering from microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia, malignancy should be considered as a possible cause. Early diagnosis of malignancy may be critical for determining the patient’s prognosis and potentially avoiding unnecessary overtreatment.
- George JN. How I treat patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome. Blood. 2000;96:1223–9.
- George JN. Clinical practice. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:1927–35. CrossRef
- Ruggenenti P, Remuzzi G. Thrombotic microangiopathies. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 1991;11:243–65. CrossRef
- Francis KK, Kalyanam N, Terrell DR, Vesely SK, George JN. Disseminated malignancy misdiagnosed as thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a report of 10 patients and a systematic review of published cases. Oncologist. 2007;12:11–9. CrossRef
- Spoormans I, Altintas S, Van den Brande J, Luijks A, Vermorken JB. Purpura in a patient with disseminated breast cancer: a rapidly progressive cancer-related thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Oncol. 2008;19:1204–7. CrossRef
- Moake JL, Byrnes JJ, Troll JH, Rudy CK, Weinstein MJ, Colannino NM, et al. Abnormal VIII: von Willebrand factor patterns in the plasma of patients with the hemolytic–uremic syndrome. Blood. 1984;64:592–8.
- Levy GG, Nichols WC, Lian EC, Foroud T, McClintick JN, McGee BM, et al. Mutations in a member of the ADAMTS gene family cause thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nature. 2001;413:488–94. CrossRef
- Hosler GA, Cusumano AM, Hutchins GM. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome are distinct pathologic entities. A review of 56 autopsy cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:834–9.
- Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M, Remuzzi G, Kyrle PA, Brenner B, et al. von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thromboticthrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic–uremic syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1578–84. CrossRef
- Furlan M, Robles R, Solenthaler M, Lammle B. Acquired deficiency of von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in a patient with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood. 1998;91:2839–46.
- Tsai HM, Lian EC. Antibodies to von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1585–94. CrossRef
- Zakarija A, Bennett C. Drug-induced thrombotic microangiopathy. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2005;31:681–90. CrossRef
- Zupancic M, Shah PC, Shah-Khan F. Gemcitabine-associated thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Lancet Oncol. 2007;8:634–41. CrossRef
- KremerHovinga JA, Vesely SK, Terrell DR, Lammle B, George JN. Survival and relapse in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood. 2010;115:1500–11. CrossRef
- Aksoy M, Erdem S, Tahsinglu M, Dincol G, Debbag F. Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia due to adenocarcinoma of the stomach. New Istanbul Contrib Clin Sci. 1975;11:103–7.
- Podzamczer D, Carreras L, Condom E, Baucells JM, Vidaller A. Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia associated with pulmonary adenocarcinoma. JAMA. 1985;254:2554–5. CrossRef
- Eugene M, Deray G, Cacoub P, Achour A, Baumelou A. Hemolytic uremic syndrome and prostatic adenocarcinoma. Clin Nephrol. 1987;27:46.
- Sill H, Hofler G, Kaufmann P, Horina J, Spuller E, Kleinert R, et al. Angiotropic large cell lymphoma presenting as thrombotic microangiopathy (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura). Cancer. 1995;75:1167–9. CrossRef
- Kouides PA, Phatak PD, Cramer SF. Fatal thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura (TTP) presenting concurrently with metastatic multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN) type I. Hematopathol Mol Hematol. 1996;10:161–70.
- Gonzalez N, Rios E, Martin-Noya A, Rodríguez JM. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and bone marrow necrosis as a complication of gastric neoplasm. Haematologia. 2002;87:ECR01.
- Pirrotta MT, Bucalossi A, Forconi F, Bocchia M, Mazzotta S, Sammassimo S, et al. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura secondary to an occult adenocarcinoma. Oncologist. 2005;10:299–300. CrossRef
- Murgo AJ. Thrombotic microangiopathy in the cancer patients including those induced by chemotherapeutic agents. Semin Hematol. 1987;24:161–77.
- Lesesne JB, Rothschild N, Erickson B, Korec S, Sisk R, Keller J, et al. Cancer-Associated hemolytic–uremic syndrome: analysis of 85 cases from a national registry. J Clin Oncol. 1989;7:781–9.
- Levandovsky M, Harvey D, Lara P, Wun T. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP–HUS): a 24-year clinical experience with 178 patients. J Hematol Oncol. 2008;1:23. CrossRef
- Bell WR, Braine HG, Ness PM, Kickler TS. Improved survival in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clinical experience in 108 patients. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:398–403. CrossRef
- Kwaan HC, Soff GA. Management of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome. Semin Hematol. 1997;34:159–66.
- Lara Jr PN, Coe TL, Zhou H, Fernando L, Holland PV, Wun T. Improved survival with plasma exchange in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome. Am J Med. 1999;107:573–9. CrossRef
- Rock GA, Shumak KH, Buskard NA, Blanchette VS, Kelton JG, Nair RC, et al. Comparison of plasma exchange with plasma infusion in the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Canadian Apheresis Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:393–7. CrossRef
- Vesely SK, George JN, Rath W. Long term clinical outcome of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP–HUS) among different patient groups. Blood. 1999;94:15a.
- Vasko R, Koziolek M, Fuzesi L, Konig F, Strutz F, Muller GA. Fulminant plasmapheresis–refractory microangiopathy associated with advanced gastric cancer. Ther Apher Dial. 2010;14:222–5. CrossRef
- Disseminated Carcinoma Diagnosed by Bone Marrow Biopsy in Patients with Microangiopathic Hemolytic Anemia and Thrombocytopenia: A Report of Two Cases with Gastric Cancer and a Review of the Literature
Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer
Volume 42, Issue 3 , pp 123-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Oncology, Rambam Health Care Campus and Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, POB 9602, Haifa, 31096, Israel
- 2. Department of Hematology, Rambam Health Care Campus and Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel