Complement regulation of T cell immunity
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Results of studies published since 2002 reveal that T cells and antigen-presenting cells (APCs) produce complement proteins. The immune cell–derived, alternative pathway complement components activate spontaneously, yielding local, but not systemic, production of C3a and C5a. These anaphylatoxins bind to their respective G-protein-coupled receptors, C3aR and C5aR, expressed on both partners. The resultant complement-induced T cell activation and APC activation drive T cell differentiation, expansion and survival. Complement deficiency or blockade attenuates T cell-mediated autoimmunity and delays allograft rejection in mice. Increasing complement activation, achieved by genetic removal of the complement regulatory protein decay-accelerating factor, enhances murine T cell immunity and accelerates allograft rejection. The findings support the need for design and testing of complement inhibitors in humans.
- Ricklin D, Hajishengallis G, Yang K, Lambris JD. Complement: a key system for immune surveillance and homeostasis. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:785–97. CrossRef
- Baldwin WM, Ota H, Rodriguez ER. Complement in transplant rejection: diagnostic and mechanistic considerations. Springer Semin Immunopathol. 2003;25:181–97. CrossRef
- Wehner J, Morrell CN, Reynolds T, Rodriguez ER, Baldwin WM III. Antibody and complement in transplant vasculopathy. Circ Res. 2007;100:191–203. CrossRef
- Qian Z, Wasowska BA, Behrens E, Cangello DL, Brody JR, Kadkol SS, et al. C6 produced by macrophages contributes to cardiac allograft rejection. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:1293–302. CrossRef
- Collins AB, Schneeberger EE, Pascual MA, Saidman SL, Williams WW, Tolkoff-Rubin N, et al. Complement activation in acute humoral renal allograft rejection: diagnostic significance of C4d deposits in peritubular capillaries. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999;10:2208–14.
- Stegall M, Tayyab D, Lynn C, Justin B, Patrick D, Gloor JM. Terminal complement inhibition decreases early acute humoral rejection in sensitized renal transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2010;10(s4):39.
- Pratt JR, Basheer SA, Sacks SH. Local synthesis of complement component C3 regulates acute renal transplant rejection. Nat Med. 2002;8:582–7. CrossRef
- Sheerin NS, Risley P, Abe K, Tang Z, Wong W, Lin T, et al. Synthesis of complement protein C3 in the kidney is an important mediator of local tissue injury. FASEB J. 2008;22:1065–72. CrossRef
- Tang Z, Lu B, Hatch E, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. C3a mediates epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in proteinuric nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:593–603. CrossRef
- Medof ME, Kinoshita T, Nussenzweig V. Inhibition of complement activation on the surface of cells after incorporation of decay-accelerating factor (DAF) into their membranes. J Exp Med. 1984;160:1558–78. CrossRef
- Pepys MB. Role of complement in the induction of immunological responses. Transpl Rev. 1976;32:93–120.
- Dempsey PW, Allison ME, Akkaraju S, Goodnow CC, Fearon DT. C3d of complement as a molecular adjuvant: bridging innate and acquired immunity. Science. 1996;271:348–50. CrossRef
- Heeger PS, Lalli PN, Lin F, Valujskikh A, Liu J, Muqim N, et al. Decay-accelerating factor modulates induction of T cell immunity. J Exp Med. 2005;201:1523–30. CrossRef
- Strainic MG, Liu J, Huang D, An F, Lalli PN, Muqim N, et al. Locally produced complement fragments C5a and C3a provide both costimulatory and survival signals to naive CD4+ T cells. Immunity. 2008;28:425–35. CrossRef
- Lalli PN, Strainic MG, Yang M, Lin F, Medof ME, Heeger PS. Locally produced C5a binds to T cell-expressed C5aR to enhance effector T-cell expansion by limiting antigen-induced apoptosis. Blood. 2008;112:1759–66. CrossRef
- Lalli PN, Strainic MG, Lin F, Medof ME, Heeger PS. Decay accelerating factor can control T cell differentiation into IFN-gamma-producing effector cells via regulating local C5a-induced IL-12 production. J Immunol. 2007;179:5793–802.
- Li K, Anderson KJ, Peng Q, Noble A, Lu B, Kelly AP, et al. Cyclic AMP plays a critical role in C3a-receptor-mediated regulation of dendritic cells in antigen uptake and T-cell stimulation. Blood. 2008;112:5084–94. CrossRef
- Peng Q, Li K, Wang N, Li Q, Asgari E, Lu B, et al. Dendritic cell function in allostimulation is modulated by C5aR signaling. J Immunol. 2009;183:6058–68. CrossRef
- Pavlov V, Raedler H, Yuan S, Leisman S, Kwan WH, Lalli PN, et al. Donor deficiency of decay-accelerating factor accelerates murine T cell-mediated cardiac allograft rejection. J Immunol. 2008;181:4580–9.
- Suresh M, Molina H, Salvato MS, Mastellos D, Lambris JD, Sandor M. Complement component 3 is required for optimal expansion of CD8 T cells during a systemic viral infection. J Immunol. 2003;170:788–94.
- Fang C, Miwa T, Shen H, Song WC. Complement-dependent enhancement of CD8+ T cell immunity to lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus infection in decay-accelerating factor-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2007;179:3178–86.
- Liu J, Lin F, Strainic MG, An F, Miller RH, Altuntas CZ, et al. IFN-gamma and IL-17 production in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis depends on local APC-T cell complement production. J Immunol. 2008;180:5882–9.
- Liu J, Miwa T, Hilliard B, Chen Y, Lambris JD, Wells AD, et al. The complement inhibitory protein DAF (CD55) suppresses T cell immunity in vivo. J Exp Med. 2005;201:567–77. CrossRef
- Bao L, Haas M, Pippin J, Wang Y, Miwa T, Chang A, et al. Focal and segmental glomerulosclerosis induced in mice lacking decay-accelerating factor in T cells. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:1264–74. CrossRef
- Hashimoto M, Hirota K, Yoshitomi H, Maeda S, Teradaira S, Akizuki S, et al. Complement drives Th17 cell differentiation and triggers autoimmune arthritis. J Exp Med. 2010;207:1135–43. CrossRef
- Lin M, Yin N, Murphy B, Medof ME, Segerer S, Heeger PS, et al. Immune cell derived C3 is required for autoimmune diabetes induced by multiple low doses of streptozotocin. Diabetes. 2010;59:2247–52. CrossRef
- Esposito A, Suedekum B, Liu J, An F, Lass J, Strainic MG, et al. Decay accelerating factor is essential for successful corneal engraftment. Am J Transplant. 2010;10:527–34. CrossRef
- Krieger NR, Yin DP, Fathman CG. CD4+ but not CD8+ cells are essential for allorejection. J Exp Med. 1996;184:2013–8. CrossRef
- Ridge JP, Di Rosa F, Matzinger P. A conditioned dendritic cell can be a temporal bridge between a CD4+ T-helper and a T-killer cell. Nature. 1998;393:474–8. CrossRef
- Schoenberger SP, Toes RE, van der Voort EI, Offringa R, Melief CJ. T-cell help for cytotoxic T lymphocytes is mediated by CD40–CD40L interactions. Nature. 1998;393:480–3. CrossRef
- Vieyra M, Leisman S, Raedler H, Kwan WH, Yang M, Strainic MG, et al. Complement regulates CD4 T-cell help to CD8 T cells required for murine allograft rejection. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:766–74. CrossRef
- Raedler H, Yang M, Lalli PN, Medof ME, Heeger PS. Primed CD8(+) T-cell responses to allogeneic endothelial cells are controlled by local complement activation. Am J Transplant. 2009;9:1784–95. CrossRef
- Gueler F, Rong S, Gwinner W, Mengel M, Brocker V, Schon S, et al. Complement 5a receptor inhibition improves renal allograft survival. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:2302–12. CrossRef
- Raedler H, Vieyra MB, Leisman S, Lakhani P, Kwan W, Yang M, et al. Anti-complement component C5 mAb synergizes with CTLA4Ig to inhibit alloreactive T cells and prolong cardiac allograft survival in mice. Am J Transplant. 2011;11:1397–406. CrossRef
- Keslar K, Rodriguez ER, Tan CD, Starling RC, Heeger PS. Complement gene expression in human cardiac allograft biopsies as a correlate of histologic grade of injury. Transplantation. 2008;86:1319–21. CrossRef
- Naesens M, Li L, Ying L, Sansanwal P, Sigdel TK, Hsieh SC, et al. Expression of complement components differs between kidney allografts from living and deceased donors. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:1839–51. CrossRef
- Li K, Fazekasova H, Gomes C, Wang N, Sagoo P, Peng Q, et al. Expression of complement components, receptors and regulators by human dendritic cells and the role of C3a and C5a in modulation of dendritic cell function. Mol Immunol. 2010;47:2232. CrossRef
- Brown KM, Kondeatis E, Vaughan RW, Kon SP, Farmer CK, Taylor JD, et al. Influence of donor C3 allotype on late renal-transplantation outcome. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:2014–23. CrossRef
- Varagunam M, Yaqoob MM, Dohler B, Opelz G. C3 polymorphisms and allograft outcome in renal transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:874–80. CrossRef
- Complement regulation of T cell immunity
Volume 54, Issue 1-3 , pp 247-253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- T cells
- Allograft rejection
- Industry Sectors