Mesenteric venous thrombosis
- Roger W. Byard
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 78-year-old woman was referred from a peripheral hospital where she had been admitted 2 weeks previously with anorexia, abdominal discomfort, nausea and vomiting. On admission to the tertiary care center she was noted to be in congestive cardiac failure with peripheral and pulmonary edema, and bilateral pleural effusions. There were also ischemic changes on her electrocardiograph (ECG). Medical therapy was undertaken, however, she collapsed and died unexpectedly 2 days later.
At autopsy the body was that of an elderly Caucasian female of around the stated age. Her height was 175 cm, weight 84 kg, and body mass index (BMI) 27. There was cardiomegaly (615 gms) with evidence of left ventricular failure (congestion and edema of the lungs with pleural effusions). Bilateral pulmonary thromboemboli were present obstructing both the right and left pulmonary arteries. An additional finding was thrombosis of the superior mesenteric vein with ischemic changes ...
- Brandt LJ, Boley SJ. AGA technical review on intestinal ischemia. American Gastroenterological Association. Gastroenterology. 2000;118:954–68. CrossRef
- Grisham A, Lohr J, Gunether M, Engel AM. Deciphering mesenteric venous thrombosis: imaging and treatment. Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2005;39:473–9. CrossRef
- Rhee RY, Gloviczki P, Mendonca CT, et al. Mesenteric venous thrombosis: still a lethal disease in the 1990s. J Vasc Surg. 1994;20:688–97. CrossRef
- Yasuhara H. Acute mesenteric ischemia: the challenge of gastroenterology. Surg Today. 2005;35:185–95. CrossRef
- Acosta S, Ögren M, Sternby N-H, Bergqvist D, Björck M. Mesenteric venous thrombosis with transmural intestinal infarction: a population-based study. J Vasc Surg. 2005;41:59–63. CrossRef
- Harward TR, Green D, Bergan JJ, Rizzo RJ, Yao JS. Mesenteric venous thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 1989;9:328–33.
- Rosenfeld H, Tsokos M, Byard RW. The association between body mass index and pulmonary thromboembolism in an autopsy population. J Forensic Sci. (In press).
- Morasch MD, Ebaugh JL, Chiou AC, et al. Mesenteric venous thrombosis: a changing clinical entity. J Vasc Surg. 2001;34:680–4. CrossRef
- Luo W, Li M, Luo J, He Y. Clinical analysis of patients with autoimmune disease complicated by mesenteric venous thrombosis: a retrospective study in a hospital. Hepatogastroenterology. 2011;59:115–6. CrossRef
- Mesenteric venous thrombosis
Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 475-476
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Roger W. Byard (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Discipline of Anatomy and Pathology, School of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Level 3 Medical School North Building, Frome Road, Adelaide, SA, 5005, Australia