Prevention of lung cancer
- Diane E. Stover MD, FCCP
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This is a review of current concepts in lung cancer prevention including primary or smoking prevention, secondary prevention or smoking cessation and tertiary prevention or chemoprevention of lung cancer.
- CDC: Trends in cigarette smoking among high school students-US, 1999·1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000;49:755–8.
- Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Office on Smoking and Health website. www.cdc.gov/tobacco
- Rigotti NA. Tobacco use common among college students. JAMA. 2000;284:699–705. CrossRef
- Peterson AV, Kealey KA, Mann SL, March PM. Hutchison smoking prevention project: Long term randomized trail in school-based tobacco use prevention-results on smoking. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000;92:1979–91. CrossRef
- Bauer VE, Johnson TM, Hopkins RS, Brooks RG. Changes in youth cigarette use and intentions following implementation of a tobacco control program. JAMA. 2000;284:723–8. CrossRef
- Balfour DJK. The effects of nicotine on brain neurotransmitter systems. Pharmacol. Ther. 1982;16:269–82. CrossRef
- Fiore MC, Bailey WC, Cohen SJ, et al. Smoking Cessation: Clinical Practice Guideline No. 18. Rockville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, AHCPR Publ No 96-0692, 1996.
- Jorenby DE, Leichow SJ, Nides MA, et al. A controlled trial of sustained-release bupropion, a nicotine patch or both for smoking cessation. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:685–91. CrossRef
- Hughes JR, Goldstein MG, Hurt RD, Shiffman S. Recent advances in the pharmacotherapy of smoking. JAMA. 1999; 281:72–6. CrossRef
- Ferry LH, Grissino LM, Runfola PS. Tobacco dependence curricula in US undergraduate medical education. JAMA. 1999;282:825–9. CrossRef
- Hong WK, Sporn MB. Recent advances in chemoprevention of cancer. Science. 1997;278:1073–7. CrossRef
- Dragnev KH, Rigas JR, Dmitrovski E. The retinoids and cancer prevention mechanisms. The Oncologist. 2000;5:361–8. CrossRef
- Kawamori T, Rao CV, Seibert K, Reddy BS. Chemopreventive activity of celecoxib, a specific cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor against colon carcinogenesis. Cancer Rec. 1998;58:409–12.
- The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta Carotene Cancer Prevention Study Group. The effect of vitamin E and beta-carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:1029–35. CrossRef
- Omenn GS, Goodman GE, Thornguist MD, et al. Effects of a combination of beta-carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:1150–5. CrossRef
- van-Zandwijk N, Dalesio O, Pastorino U, de Vries N, van-Tineren. Euroscan, a randomized trial of vitamin A and nacetylcysteine in patients with head and neck cancer or lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000;92:977–86. CrossRef
- Wattenberg LW, Wiedmann TS, Estensen RD, et al. Chemoprevention of pulmonary carcinogenesis by brief exposures to aerosolized budesonide or beclomethasone dipropionate and by the combination of aerosolized budesonide and dietary myo-inositol. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21:179–82. CrossRef
- St John TM. Frontiers in lung cancer chemoprevention. Lung Cancer Quarterly. 2002;3:2–3.
- Prevention of lung cancer
Volume 29, Issue 1 , pp 28-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Diane E. Stover MD, FCCP (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pulmonary Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, 10021, New York, NY, USA
- 2. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York