Adolescent adherence in type 1 diabetes
- Robert P. Hoffman MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Adolescents with Type 1 diabetes have poorer glycemic control and more hypoglycemia than do adults. While physiologic reasons for these problems exist, the most common problems are failure to administer insulin, monitor glucose levels, and maintain an appropriate meal plan.
- Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes and the progression of long-term complications in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:977–986. CrossRef
- Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. Effect of intensive diabetes treatment on the development and progression of long-term complications in adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. J Pediatr. 1994;125:177–188. CrossRef
- Amiel SA, Sherwin RS, Simonson DC, Lauritano AA, Tamborlane WV. Impaired insulin action in puberty: a contributing factor to poor glycemic control in adolescents with diabetes. N Engl J Med. 1986;315:215–219. CrossRef
- Amiel SA, Simonson DC, Sherwin RS, Lauritano AA, Tamborlane WV. Exaggerated epinephrine responses to hypoglycemia in normal and insulin-dependent diabetic children. J Pediatr. 1987;110:832–837. CrossRef
- Morriss AD, Boyle DIR, McMahon AD, Greene SA, Mac-Donald TM, Newton RW. Adherence to insulin treatment, glycaenmic control, and ketoacidosis in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Lancet. 1997;350:1505–1510. CrossRef
- Timms N, Lowes L. Autonomy or non-compliance in adolescent diabetes. Br J Nurs. 1999:8:794–800.
- Lutfey KE, Wishner WJ. Beyond ‘compliance’ is ‘adherence’. Diabetes Care. 1999;22:635–639. CrossRef
- Kovacs M, Goldston D, Obrosky S, Iyengar S. Prevalence and predictors of pervasive noncompliance with medical noncompliance with medical treatment among youth with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1992;31:1112–1119. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd Ed. Washington, DC. American Psychiatric Association. 1980.
- Goldston DB, Kelly AE, Reboussin DM, et al. Suicidal ideation and behavior and noncompliance with the medical rigimen among diabetic adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;36:1528–1536. CrossRef
- Weisberg-Benchell J, Glasgow AM, Tynan WD, Wirtz P, Turek J, Ward J. Adolescent diabetes management and mismanagement. Diabetes Care. 1995;18:77–82. CrossRef
- Biggs MM, Basco MR, Patterson G, Raskin P. Insulin with-holding for weight control in women with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1994;17:1186–1189. CrossRef
- Stancin T, Link DL, Reuter JM. Binge eating and purging in young women with IDDM. Diabetes Care. 1989;12:601–603. CrossRef
- Polonsky WH, Anderson BJ, Lohrer PA, Aponte JE, Jacobson AM, Cole CF. Insulin omission in women with IDDM. Diabetes Care. 1994;17:1178–1189. CrossRef
- Anderson B, Ho J, Brackett J, Finkelstein D, Laffel L. Parental involvement in diabetes management tasks: relationships to blood glucose monitoring in young adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr. 1997;30: 257–265.
- Evans JMM, Newton RW, Ruta DA, MacDonald TM, Stevenson RJ, Morris AD. Frequency of blood glucose monitoring in relation to glycaemic control: observational study with diabetes database. BMJ. 1999;319:83–86.
- Mazze RS, Shamoon H, Pasmantier R, et al. Relaiability of blood glucose monitoring. Am J Med. 1984;77:211–217. CrossRef
- Golden MP, Herrold AJ, Orr DP. An approach to prevention of recurrent diabetic ketoacidosis in the pediatric population. J Pediatr. 1985;107:195–200. CrossRef
- Glasgow AM, Weissberg-Benchell J, Tynan WD, et al. Readmission of children with diabetes mellitus to a children's hospital. Pediatrics. 1991;88:98–104.
- Kovacs M, Charron-Prochownik D, Obrosky DS. A longitudinal study of biomedical and psychosocial predictors of multiple hospitalizations among young people with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diab Med. 1995;12:142–148.
- Levine BS, Anderson BJ, Butler DA, Antisdel JE, Brackett-Laffel LMB. Predictors of glycemic control and short-term-adverse outcomes in youth with type 1 diabetes. J Pediatr. 2001;139:197–203. CrossRef
- Jones JM, Lawson ML, Daneman D, et al. Eating disorders in adolescent females with and without type 1 diabetes: cross-sectional study. Br Med J. 2000;320:1563–1566. CrossRef
- Rydall AC, Rodin GM, Olmsted MP, et al. Disordered eating behavior and microvascular complications in young women with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:1849–1854. CrossRef
- Wycoski T, Meinhold PA, Abrams KC, et al. Parental and professional estimates of self-care independence of children and adolescents with IDDM. Diabetes Care. 1992;15:43–52. CrossRef
- Wysocki T, Taylor A, Hough BS, Linscheid TR, Yeates KO, Naglieri JA. Deviation from developmentally appropriate self-care autonomy. Diabetes Care. 1996;19:119–125. CrossRef
- Peveler RC, Davies BA, Mayou RA, Fairburn CG, Mann JI. Self-care behaviour and blood glucose control in young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetic Med. 1993;10:74–80. CrossRef
- Tupola S, Rajantie J, Akerbloom HK: Experience of severe hypoglycaemia may influence both patient's and physician's treatment policy of insulin dependent diabetes. Eur J Pediatr. 1998;157:625–627. CrossRef
- Tercyak KP, Johnson SB, Kirkpatrick KA, Silverstein JH. Offering a randomized trial of intensive therapy for IDDM to adolescents: reasons for refusal, patient characteristics and recruiter effects. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:213–215. CrossRef
- Mendez FJ, Belendez M. Effects of a behavioral intervention on treatment adherence and stress management in adolescents with IDDM. Diabetes Care. 1997;20:1370–1375. CrossRef
- Anderson BJ, Brackett J, Ho J, Laffel LMB. An office based intervention to maintain parent-adolescent teamwork in diabetes management: impact on parent involvement, family, conflict and subsequents glycemic control. Diabetes Care. 1999;22:713–721. CrossRef
- Forsander GA, Sundelin J, Persson B. Influence of the initial management regimen and family social situation on glycemic control and medical care in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Acta Paediatr. 2000;89:1462–1468. CrossRef
- Geffken GR, Lewis C, Johnson SB, Silverstein JH, Rosenbloom AL, Monaco L. Residential treatment for youngsters with difficult-to-manage insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 1997;10:517–527.
- Hampson SE, Skinner TC, Hart J, et al. Behavioral interventions for adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2000;23:1416–1422. CrossRef
- Daneman D, Olmsted M, Rydall A, et al. Eating disorders in young women with type 1 diabetes. Horm Res. 1998;50:(Suppl 1):79–86. CrossRef
- Adolescent adherence in type 1 diabetes
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 128-133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Endocrinology Department of Pediatrics The Ohio State University College of Public Health, Columbus Children's Hospital, 700 Children's Drive, 3205, Columbus, OH, USA