Perioperative stroke: Evaluation, management, and possible preventive measures
- Roger E. Kelley MD
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mechanisms of perioperative ischemic stroke include: hypotension, hypercoagulability, arrhythmias with embolism, or direct vascular insult. Mechanisms of perioperative hemorrhagic stroke include: use of antithrombotics, hypertension, or direct vascular insult.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Walker AG, Robins M, Weinfeld FD. The National Survey of Stroke. Clinical findings. Stroke. 1981;Suppl. 1:13–44.
- Knapp RB, Topkins MJ, Artuso JF. The cerebrovascular accident and coronary occulusion in anesthesia. JAMA. 1962; 182:332–334.
- Breuer AC, Furlan AJ, Hanson MR, et al. Central nervous system complications of coronary artery bypass surgery. Stroke. 1883;14:682–687.
- Shaw PJ, Bates D, Cartlidge NEF, et al. Neurologic and neuropsychologic morbidity following major surgery. Stroke. 1987;18:70–77.
- Ferguson GG, Eliasziw M, Barr HWK, et al. for the North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial (NASCET) Collaborators. The North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial. Surgical results in 1415 patients. Stroke. 1999;30:1751–1758.
- Hamdan AD, Pomposelli FB Jr, Gibbons GW, Campbell DR, LoGerlo FW. Perioperative strokes after 1001 consecutive carotid endarterectomy procedures with an electroencephalogram: Incidence, mechanism, and recovery. Arch Surg. 1999;134:412–415. CrossRef
- Executive Commitee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study. Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. JAMA. 1995;273:1421–1428. CrossRef
- Orgitano TC, Al-Mefty O, Leonetti JP, DeMonte F, Reichman H. Vascular considerations and complications in cranial base surgery. Neurosurgery. 1994;35:351–362. CrossRef
- Behrens E, Schramm J, Zentner J, Konig R. Surgical and neurosurgical complications in a series of 708 epilepsy surgery patients. Neurosurgery. 1997;41:1–9. CrossRef
- de Bie RMA, de Haan RJ, Schuurman PR, Esselink RAJ, Bosch DA, Speelman JD. Morbidity and mortality following pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease. A systematic review. Neurology. 2002;58:1008–1012.
- Hart R, Hindman B. Mechanisms of perioperative cerebral infarction. Stroke. 1982;13:766–773.
- Kelley RE. Stroke in the postoperative period. Med Clin North Am. 2001;85:1263–76 CrossRef
- Torvik A. The pathogenesis of watershed infarction. Stroke. 1984;15:221–223.
- Stamou SC, Hill PC, Sample GA, et al. Prevention of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. The significance of postoperative oral amiodarone. Chest. 2001;120:1936–1941. CrossRef
- Stamou SC, Jill PC, Dangas G, et al. Stroke after coronary artery bypass. Incidence, predictors, and clinical outcome. Stroke. 2001;32:1508–1513.
- Stamou SC, Corso PJ. Coronary revascularization without cardiopulmonary bypass in high-risk patients: A route to the future. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71:1056–1061. CrossRef
- Reed GI, Singer DE, Picard EH, DeSanctis RW. Stroke following coronary-artery bypass. A case-control estimate of the risk from carotid bruits. N Engl J Med. 1988;319:1246–1250. CrossRef
- Evans BA, Wijdicks EFM. High-grade carotid stenosis detected before general surgery. Neurology. 2001;57:1328–1330.
- Ramirez-Lassepas M, Cipolle RJ, Bjork RJ, et al. Can embolic stroke be diagnosed on the basis of neurologic clinical criteria? Arch Neurol. 1987;44:87–89.
- Kittner SJ, Sharkness CM, Price TR, et al. Infarcts with a cardiac source of embolism in the NINDS Stroke Data Bank: Historical features. Neurology. 1990;40:281–284.
- Kittner SJ, Sharkness CM, Sloan MA, et al. Infarcts with a cardiac source of embolism in the NINDS Stroke Data Bank: Neurologic examination. Neurology. 1992;42:299–302.
- Minematsu K, Yamaguchi T, Omae T. Spectacular shrinking deficit': Rapid recovery from a hemispheric syndrome by migration of an embolus. Neurology. 1992;42:157–162.
- Hirsh J, Warkentin TE, Shaughnessy SG, et al. Heparin and low-molecular heparin. Mechanisms of action, pharmacokinetics, dosing, monitoring, efficacy and safety. Chest. 2001;119:64S-94S. CrossRef
- Vermeulen M, van Gijn J. The diagnosis of subarachnoid hemorrhage. J. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1990;53:365–372. CrossRef
- Ackerstaff RGA, Moons KGM, van de Vlasakker CJW, et al. Association of intraoperative transcranial Doppler monitoring variables with stroke from carotid endarterectomy. Stroke. 2000;31:1817–1823.
- Barbut D, Hinton RB, Szatrowski TP, et al. Cerebral emboli detected during bypass surgery are associated with clamp removal. Stroke. 1994;25:2398–2402.
- Barbut D, Yao FS, Hager DN, et al. Comparison of transcranial Doppler ultrasonography and transesophageal echocar-diography to monitor emboli during coronary artery bypass surgery. Stroke. 1996;27:87–90.
- Cujec B, Polasek P, Voll C, Shuaib A. Transesophageal echocardiography in the detection of intracardiac embolic sources in patients with transient ischemic attacks. Stroke. 1991;22:727–733.
- Pullicino PM, Halperin JL, Thompson JLP. Stroke in patients with heart failure and reduced left ventricular ejection fraction. Neurology. 2000;54:288–294.
- Hart RG, Halperin JL, Atrial fibrillation and stroke. Current concepts and controversies. Stroke. 2001;32:803–808.
- Adams Jr HP. Emergent use of anticoagulation for treatment of patients with ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2002;33:856–861. CrossRef
- Barnett HJM, Taylor DW, Eliasziw M, et al. Benefit of carotid endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic moderate or severe carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1415–1425. CrossRef
- Taylor DW, Barnett HJM, Haynes RB, et al. Low-dose and high-dose acetylsalicylic acid for patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: A randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 1999;353:2179–2184. CrossRef
- Kelley RE, Kovacs AG. Mechanism of in-hospital cerebral ischemia. Stroke. 1986;17:430–433.
- Safi HJ, Brien HW, Winter JN, et al. Brain protection via cerebral retrograde perfusion during aortic arch aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71:1062–1063. CrossRef
- Gold JP, Charlson ME, Williams-Russo P, et al. Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass. A randomized trial comparing intraoperative high versus low mean arterial pressure. J. Thorac Cardovasc Surg. 1995;110:1302–1314. CrossRef
- Bernstein M, Fleming JF, Deck JF. Cerebral hyperperfusion after carotid endarterectomy: A cause of cerebral hemorrhage. Neurosurgery. 1984;15:50–56. CrossRef
- Pomposelli FB, Lamparello PJ, Riles TS, Craighead CC, Giangola G, Imparato AM. Intracranial hemorrhage after carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg. 1988;7:248–255. CrossRef
- Kernan WN, Viscoll CM, Brass LM, et al. Phenyl-propanolamine and the risk of hemorrhagic stroke. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1826–1832. CrossRef
- Jiang H, Whelton PK, Vu B, Klag MJ. Aspirin and risk of hemorrhagic stroke. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA. 1998;280:1930–1935. CrossRef
- Hart RG, Boop BS, Anderson DC. Oral anticoagulants and intracranial hemorrhage. Facts and hypothesis. Stroke. 1995; 26:1471–1477.
- Dandapani BK, Suzuki S, Kelley RE, Reyes-Iglesias Y, Duncan RC. Relation between blood pressure and outcome in intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke. 1995;26:21–24.
About this Article
- Perioperative stroke: Evaluation, management, and possible preventive measures
Volume 28, Issue 4 , pp 230-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1501 Kings Highway, 71130, Shreveport, LA, USA