Controlling high blood pressure: A simple and effective approach
- Edward D. Freis MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fixed-dose combination tablets, such as diuretic plus β-adrenergic blocking drug or ACE inhibitor are more effective than is any monotherapy. Other advantages include simple titration, low toxicity and reduced expense which encourage better compliance required for optimal blood pressure control.
- Fisher G. Top 10 reasons for office visits. Scoff-Levin Physicians Drug and Diagnosis Audit Inc, 60 Blacksmith Road, Newtown, PA 18940.
- Burt VL, Whelton P, Roccella EJ, et al. Prevalence of hypertension in the U.S. adult population: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey 1988–1991. Hypertension. 1995;25:305–313.
- Materson BJ, Reda DJ, Cushman WC, Henderson WG. Results of combination anti-hypertensive therapy after failure of each of the components. Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group on Anti-hypertensive Agents. J Hum Hypertens. 1995;9:791–796.
- Prisant LM, Mathew RN, Papademetriou V, et al. Low-dose drug combination therapy: An alternative first-line approach to hypertension treatment. Am Heart J. 1995;130:359–366. CrossRef
- SHEP Cooperative Research Group. Prevention of stroke by antihypertensive treatment in older persons with isolated systolic hypertension: final results of the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program (SHEP). JAMA. 1991;265:3255–3264. CrossRef
- Cushman WC, Cohen JD, Jones RP, et al. Comparison of the fixed dose combination of enalapril/diltiazem ER and their monotherapies in stage 1 to 3 essential hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 1998;11:23–30. CrossRef
- Freis ED, Materson BL. Captopril in mild to moderate hypertension: effect of low dose and of added diuretic. Prog Pharmacol. 1984;5:87–92.
- AIRE Study Investigators. Effects of ramipril on mortality and morbidity of survivors of acute myocardial infarction with clinical evidence of heart failure. Lancet. 1993;342: 821–828.
- ACC/AHA Task Force on Practice Guidelines: ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with myocardial infarction: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines (Committee on Management of Acute Myocardial Infarction). Circulation. 1996;28:1328–1428.
- Kuher J. Tarp-Pedersen C, CarlsonJE, et al. A clinical trial of the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor trandolapril in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. Trandolapril Cardiac Evaluation (TRACE) Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1670–1676. CrossRef
- Doodwania PC. Angiotensin converting enzyme Inhibitors in congestive heart failure. Arch Int Med. 1990;150:1798–1805. CrossRef
- Schmeider RE, Martus P, Klinball FL. Reversal of left ventricular hypertrophy in essential hypertension. A meta-analysis of randomized double-blind studies. JAMA. 1996; 276:275–281. CrossRef
- Bianchi S, Bigazzi R, Balderi G, et al. Microalbuminuria in patients with essential hypertension: effects of an angiotensin enzyme Inhibitor and of a calcium channel blocker. Am J Hypertens. 1991;4:291–296.
- Bjorck S, Nyberg G, Mulec H, Granerus G, Herlitz H, Aurell M. Beneficial effects of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition on renal function in patients with nephropathy. Br Med J. 1996;293:471–474. CrossRef
- Hansson L, Zanchetti A, Carruthers SG, et al. Effects of intensive blood-pressure lowering and low dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: principle results of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) Randomized Trial. Lancet. 1998;351:1755–1762. CrossRef
- Sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC-VI). Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:2413–2446. CrossRef
- Chockalingam A, Bacher M, Campbell N, et al. Adherence to management of high blood pressure: recommendations of the Canadian Coalition for High Blood Pressure Prevention and Control. Can J Public Health. 1998;89(Suppl 1):I5-I11.
- Haynes RB, McKibbon KA, Kanani R. Systematic review of randomized trials of intervention to assist patients to follow prescriptions for medications. Lancet. 1996;348:383–386. CrossRef
- Logan AG, Milne BJ, Achber C, Campbell WP, Haynes RB. Work-site treatment of hypertension by specially trained nurses: a controlled trial. Lancet. 1979;2:1175–1178. CrossRef
- Schultz JF, Sheps SC. Management of patients with hypertension: a hypertension clinic model. Mayo Clinic Proc. 1994;69:997–999.
- Controlling high blood pressure: A simple and effective approach
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 209-212
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Edward D. Freis MD (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hypertension Research Clinic, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C., USA
- 2. Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C., USA