Osteoporosis: Evaluation and treatment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteoporosis is a common and costly disease. This article discusses the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoporosis, including hormone replacement, bisphosphonates, calcitonin, raloxifene, and alternative therapies. As our population ages, osteoporosis will become an even more common disease.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation. Osteoporosis: review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Introduction. Osteoporosis International. 1998:(suppl):S7–S80.
- Melton LJ III Perspectives: how many women have osteoporosis now? J. Bone Miner Res. 1995;10(2):175–177. CrossRef
- Ross PD Osteoporosis: frequency, consequences, and risk factors. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1399–1411. CrossRef
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Clinical partice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of post-menopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Pract. 1996;2(2):157–171.
- Cummings SR, Nevitt MC, Browner WS, et al. Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:767–773. CrossRef
- Melton LJ, Wahner HW, Richelson LS, et al. Osteoporosis and the risk of hip fracture. Am J Epidemiol. 1986;124:254–261.
- Bone density measurement: a systematic review. J Intern Med. 1997;241((suppl 739):1–60.
- Jergas M, Genant HK. Current methods and recent advances in the diagnosis of osteoporosis. Arthritis Rheum. 1993;36(12):1649–1662. CrossRef
- Cummings SR, Black DM, Nevitt MC, et al. Appendicular bone density and age predict hipfracture in women. JAMA. 1990;263:665–668. CrossRef
- Van Daels P, Burger H, De Laet C, Pois H. Review: ultrasound measurement of bone. Clin. Endocrinol 1996;44:363–369. CrossRef
- Eastell R. Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 1998;338(11):736–746. CrossRef
- Riggs BL, Melton LJ III, O'Fallon WM. Drug therapy for vertebral fractures in osteoporosis: evidence that decreases in bone turnover and increases in bone mass both determine antifracture efficacy. Bone. 1996;18(suppl):197S-201S. CrossRef
- Medicare Program. Medicare coverage of and payment for bone mass measurements. Fed Reg. 1998;63(121):34320–34328.
- Gregg EW, Cauley JA, Seeley DG, et al. Physical activity and osteoporotic fracture risk in older women. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:81–88.
- Reid IR, Ames RW, Evans MC, et al. Long-term effects of calcium supplementation of bone loss and fractures in postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Med. 1995;98:331–335. CrossRef
- Recker RR, Davies KM, Dowd RM, Heaney RP. The effect of low-dose continuous estrogen and progesterone therapy with calcium and vitamin D on bone in elderly women: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:897–904.
- NIH Consensus Development Conference. Diagnosis, prophylaxis, and treatment of osteoporosis. Am J Med. 1993;94:646–650. CrossRef
- Cauley JA, Seeley DG, Ensrud K, et al. Estrogen replacement therapy and fractures in older women. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122:9–16.
- Lufkin EG, Wahner HW, O'Fallon WM, et al. Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with transdermal estrogen. Ann Intern Med. 1992;117:1–9.
- Ettinger, B. Prevention of osteoporosis: treatment of estradiol deficiency. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;72:12S-17S.
- Recker RR, Davies KM, Dowd RM, Heaney RP. The effect of low-dose continuous estrogen and progesterone therapy with calcium and vitamin D on bone in elderly women. a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:897–904.
- Grady E, Rubin SM, Petitti DB, et al. Hormone therapy to prevent dsease and prolong life in postmenopausal women. Ann Intern Med. 1992;117:1016–1037.
- Grodstein F, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, et al. Postmenopausal estrogen and progestin use and the risk of cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:453–461. CrossRef
- The Writing Group for the PEPI Trial. Effects of hormone therapy on bone mineral density. JAMA. 1996;276:1389–1396. CrossRef
- Hulley S, Grady D, Bush T, et al. Randomized trial of estrogen plus progestin for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in postmenopausal women. JAMA. 1998;280:605–613. CrossRef
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer. Breast cancer and hormone replacement therapy: collaborative reanalysis of data from 51 epidemiological studies of 52,705 women with breast cancer and 108,411 women without breast cancer. Lancet. 1997;350:1047–1059. CrossRef
- Gapstur SM, Morrow M, Sellers TA. Hormone replacement therapy and risk of breast cancer with a favorable histology: results of the Iowa women's health study. JAMA. 1999;281:2091–2097. CrossRef
- Khovidhunkit W, Shoback D. Clinical effects of raloxifene hydrochloride in women. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:431–439.
- Cummings SR, Norton L, Eckert S, et al. Raloxifene reduces the risk of breast cancer and may decrease the risk of endometrial cancer in postmenopausal women: two-year findings from the multiple outcomes of raloxifene evaluation (MORE) trial. [Abstract]. Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting. 1998:3.
- Cummings SR, Eckert S, Krueger KA, et al. The effects of raloxifene on risk of breast cancer in postmenpausal women. JAMA 1999;281:2189–2197. CrossRef
- Jordan VC, Glusman JE, Eckert S, et al. Incident primary breast cancers are reduced by raloxifene: integrated data from multicenter, double-blind, randomized trials in ∼12,000 postmenopausal women. [Abstract]. Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting. 1998:466.
- Delmas PD, Bjarnason NH, Mitlak BH, et al. Effects of raloxifeneoon bone mineral density, serum cholesterol concentrations, and uterine endometrium in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:1641–1647. CrossRef
- Walsh BW, Kuller LH, Wild RA, et al. Effects of raloxifene on serum lipids and coagulation factors in healthy postmenopausal women. JAMA. 1998;279:1445–1451. CrossRef
- Liberman UA, Weiss SR, Bröll J, et al. Effect of oral alendronate on bone mineral density and the incidence of fractures in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1437–1443. CrossRef
- Karpf DB, Shapiro DR, Seeman E, et al. Prevention of nonvertebral fractures by alendronate. JAMA. 1997;277:1159–1164. CrossRef
- Rico H, Revilla M, Hernández ER, et al. Total and regional bone mineral content and fracture rate in postmenopausal osteoporosis treated with salmon calcitonin: a prospective study. Calcif Tissue Int. 1995;56:181–185. CrossRef
- Overgaard K, Hansen MA, Jensen SB, Christiansen C. Effect of calcitonin given intranasally on bone mass and fracture rates in established osteoporosis: a dose-response study. BMJ. 1992;305:556–561.
- Reginster JY, Deroisy R, Lecart MP, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-finding trial of intermittent nasal salmon calcitonin for prevention of postmenopausal lumbar spine bone loss. Am J Med. 1995;98:452–58. CrossRef
- Adelercreutz H, Mazur W. Phyto-oestrogens and Western diseases. Ann Med. 1997;29:95–120.
- Fitzpatrick LA. Selective estrogen receptor modulators and phytoestrogens: new therapies for the postmenopausal woman. Mayo Clin Proc. 1999;74:601–607. CrossRef
- Peris P, Guanabens N. Male osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 1996;8:357–364. CrossRef
- Eastell R, Boyle IT, Compston J, et al. Management of male osteoporosis: report of UK Consensus Group. QJM. 1998;91:71–92. CrossRef
- Osteoporosis: Evaluation and treatment
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 183-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links