Sterile pyuria: A differential diagnosis
- Robert S. Dieter MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sterile pyuria is not an uncommon laboratory finding. This article explores the major causes of sterile pyuria, including infectious, systemic, structural and physiologic, and drug-related causes. It also discusses the differential diagnosis of eosinophiluria and the basic workup of sterile pyuria.
- Tanagho EA, McAninch JW. Smith's General Urology. 14th ed. East Norwalk, Conn: Appleton and Lange; 1995.
- Brenner BM, Rector FC, eds. The Kidney. 4th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co; 1991.
- Fauci AS, et al, eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1998.
- Jacobson HR, Striker GE, Klahr S. The Principles and Practice of Nephrology. Philadelphia: B.C. Decker, Inc; 1991.
- Schrier RW, Gottschalk CW, eds.. Diseases of the Kidney. 6th ed. Boston: Little, Brown and Co; 1997.
- Dajani AS, Taubert KA, Gerber MA, et al. Special report: diagnosis and therapy of Kawasaki disease in children. Circulation. 1993;87:1776–1780.
- Vongpatanasin W, Brickner EM, Hillis DL, Lange RA. The Eisenmenger syndrome in adults. Ann Int Med.. 1998;128:745–755.
- Pead L, Maskell R. Study of urinary tract infection in children in one health district. BMJ. 1994;309:631–634.
- Buys H, Pead L, Hallet R, Maskell R. Suprapubic aspiration under ultrasound guidance in children with fever of undiagnosed cause. BMJ. 1994;308:690–692.
- Dubose D, et al. Nephrotoxicity of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: report of a meeting of physicians, University of Texas Medical School at Houston; Hermann Hospital; and Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA. Lancet. 1994;344:515–518. CrossRef
- Massry SG, Glassock RJ, eds. Textbook of Nephrology. 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkens; 1989.
- Wilcox GM, Reynolds JR, Galvanek EG. Nephrotoxicity associated with olsalazine. Am J Med. 1996;100:238–240. CrossRef
- Kahn SR. Acute interstitial nephritis associated with nitrofurantoin. Lancet. 1996;348:1177–1178. CrossRef
- Debroe ME, Elseviers MM. Current concepts: analgesic nephropathy. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:446–452. CrossRef
- Harrison WJ, Willis RG, Neal DE. Adverse reactions to tiaprofenic acid mimicking interstitial nephritis. BMJ. 1994; 309:574.
- Sterile pyuria: A differential diagnosis
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 150-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Medicine, Section of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 8540 Greenway Blvd., STE 301, 53562, Middleton, WI