Industrially Prefabricated Cement Spacers: Do Vancomycin- and Gentamicin-impregnated Spacers Offer Any Advantage?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Industrially preformed antibiotic-loaded cement spacers are useful to facilitate the second stage of two-stage exchange arthroplasty for infected THAs and TKAs. However, whether gentamicin alone or a combination of antibiotics (such as vancomycin and gentamicin) is more effective is not known.
We therefore sought to compare industrially prefabricated spacers containing either gentamicin or gentamicin and vancomycin with respect to (1) infection control, (2) complications, and (3) quality of life, pain, and patient satisfaction.
We performed a review of 51 patients with chronic infections treated at one center using either gentamicin or vancomycin and gentamicin-prefabricated spacers. The former were used exclusively from January 2006 until May 2009, and the latter from June 2009 until July 2011, and there was no overlap. We collected data on demographics, immunologic status (McPherson classification), prosthetic joint infection location, type of prosthesis, microbiologic results, and time between stages. We evaluated the primary outcome of infection control or recurrence after at least 12 months followup. We also recorded complications. Each patient completed a quality-of-life survey, VAS, and a self-administered satisfaction scale.
The overall infection control rate was 83% after a mean followup of 35 months (range, 12.4–64.7 months). There were no differences between gentamicin and vancomycin and gentamicin spacers in terms of infection eradication (80 % versus 85 %, respectively; p = 0.73), nor in terms of complications, quality of life, pain, or satisfaction scores.
Prefabricated, antibiotic-loaded cement spacers has been proven effective for infection control in TKAs and THAs but with the numbers available, we did not find any differences between a gentamicin or vancomycin and gentamicin-prefabricated spacer, and therefore, we are unable to validate the superiority of the combination of vancomycin and gentamicin over gentamicin alone. Because of the higher costs involved with vancomycin and gentamicin spacers, and the potential risks of unselective use of vancomycin, further comparative studies are necessary to evaluate their role in the treatment of infected THAs or TKAs.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See the Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Anagnostakos K, Hitzler P, Pape D, Kohn D, Kelm J. Persistence of bacterial growth on antibiotic-loaded beads: is it actually a problem? Acta Orthop. 2008;79:302–307. CrossRef
- Anagnostakos K, Wilmes P, Schmitt E, Kelm J. Elution of gentamicin and vancomycin from polymethylmethacrylate beads and hip spacers in vivo. Acta Orthop. 2009;80:193–197. CrossRef
- Anguita-Alonso P, Hanssen AD, Osmon DR, Trampuz A, Steckelberg JM, Patel R. High rate of aminoglycoside resistance among staphylococci causing prosthetic joint infection. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;439:43–47. CrossRef
- Bauer TW, Parvizi J, Kobayashi N, Krebs V. Diagnosis of periprosthetic infection. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:869–882. CrossRef
- Bertazzoni Minelli E, Benini A, Magnan B, Bartolozzi P. Release of gentamicin and vancomycin from temporary human hip spacers in two-stage revision of infected arthroplasty. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2004;53:329–334. CrossRef
- Bertazzoni Minelli E, Della Bora T, Benini A. Different microbial biofilm formation on polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) bone cement loaded with gentamicin and vancomycin. Anaerobe. 2011;17:380–383. CrossRef
- Booth RE Jr, Lotke PA. The results of spacer block technique in revision of infected total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989;248:57–60.
- Cahill JL, Shadbolt B, Scarvell JM, Smith PN. Quality of life after infection in total joint replacement. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2008;16:58–65.
- Corona Perez-Cardona PS, Barro Ojeda V, Rodriguez Pardo D, Pigrau Serrallach C, Guerra Farfan E, Amat Mateu C, Flores Sanchez X. Clinical experience with daptomycin for the treatment of patients with knee and hip periprosthetic joint infections. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:1749–1754. CrossRef
- Cui Q, Mihalko WM, Shields JS, Ries M, Saleh KJ. Antibiotic-impregnated cement spacers for the treatment of infection associated with total hip or knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:871–882. CrossRef
- Degen RM, Davey JR, Davey JR, Howard JL, McCalden RW, Naudie DD. Does a prefabricated gentamicin-impregnated, load-bearing spacer control periprosthetic hip infection? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:2724–2729. CrossRef
- Flores X, Corona PS, Cortina J, Guerra E, Amat C. Temporary cement tectoplasty: a technique to improve prefabricated hip spacer stability in two-stage surgery for infected hip arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012;132:719–724. CrossRef
- Fulkerson E, Della Valle CJ, Wise B, Walsh M, Preston C, Di Cesare PE. Antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria infecting total joint arthroplasty sites. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:1231–1237. CrossRef
- Haddad FS, Masri BA, Campbell D, McGraw RW, Beauchamp CP, Duncan CP. The PROSTALAC functional spacer in two-stage revision for infected knee replacements: prosthesis of antibiotic-loaded acrylic cement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000;82:807–812. CrossRef
- Iarikov D, Demian H, Rubin D, Alexander J, Nambiar S. Choice and doses of antibacterial agents for cement spacers in treatment of prosthetic joint infections: review of published studies. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:1474–1480. CrossRef
- Jacobs C, Christensen CP, Berend ME. Static and mobile antibiotic-impregnated cement spacers for the management of prosthetic joint infection. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009;17:356–368.
- Joseph TN, Chen AL, Di Cesare PE. Use of antibiotic-impregnated cement in total joint arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2003;11:38–47.
- Klinger HM, Spahn G, Schultz W, Baums MH. Arthrodesis of the knee after failed infected total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006;14:447–453. CrossRef
- Mahmud T, Lyons MC, Naudie DD, Macdonald SJ, McCalden RW. Assessing the gold standard: a review of 253 two-stage revisions for infected TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:2730–2736. CrossRef
- Mahomed N, Gandhi R, Daltroy L, Katz JN. The self-administered patient satisfaction scale for primary hip and knee arthroplasty. Arthritis. 2011;2011:591253. CrossRef
- Masri BA, Duncan CP, Beauchamp CP. Long-term elution of antibiotics from bone-cement: an in vivo study using the prosthesis of antibiotic-loaded acrylic cement (PROSTALAC) system. J Arthroplasty. 1998;13:331–338. CrossRef
- McPherson EJ, Woodson C, Holtom P, Roidis N, Shufelt C, Patzakis M. Periprosthetic total hip infection: outcomes using a staging system. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;403:8–15. CrossRef
- Nickinson RS, Board TN, Gambhir AK, Porter ML, Kay PR. The microbiology of the infected knee arthroplasty. Int Orthop. 2010;34:505–510. CrossRef
- Osmon DR, Berbari EF, Berendt AR, Lew D, Zimmerli W, Steckelberg JM, Rao N, Hanssen A, Wilson WR; Infectious Diseases Society of America. Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:e1–e25. CrossRef
- Pattyn C, De Geest T, Ackerman P, Audenaert E. Preformed gentamicin spacers in two-stage revision hip arthroplasty: functional results and complications. Int Orthop. 2011;35:1471–1476. CrossRef
- Penner MJ, Masri BA, Duncan CP. Elution characteristics of vancomycin and tobramycin combined in acrylic bone-cement. J Arthroplasty. 1996;11:939–944. CrossRef
- Pitto RP, Castelli CC, Ferrari R, Munro J. Pre-formed articulating knee spacer in two-stage revision for the infected total knee arthroplasty. Int Orthop. 2005;29:305–308. CrossRef
- Romano CL, Romano D, Logoluso N, Meani E. Long-stem versus short-stem preformed antibiotic-loaded cement spacers for two-stage revision of infected total hip arthroplasty. Hip Int. 2010;20:26–33.
- Sharma D, Douglas J, Coulter C, Weinrauch P, Crawford R. Microbiology of infected arthroplasty: implications for empiric peri-operative antibiotics. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2008;16:339–342.
- Sherman SL, Cunneen KP, Walcott-Sapp S, Brause B, Westrich GH. Custom total femur spacer and second-stage total femur arthroplasty as a novel approach to infection and periprosthetic fracture. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:781–786. CrossRef
- Singh J, Sloan JA, Johanson NA. Challenges with health-related quality of life assessment in arthroplasty patients: problems and solutions. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2010;18:72–82.
- Soffiatti R. The preformed spacers: from the idea to the realization of an industrial device. In: Calonego G, Meani E, Romano C, Crosby L, Hofmann G (eds) Infection and Local Treatment in Orthopedic Surgery. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer; 2007:112–120. CrossRef
- Streuli JC, Exner GU, Reize CL, Merkofer C, Scott CP, Zbinden R. In vitro inhibition of coagulase-negative staphylococci by vancomycin/aminoglycoside-loaded cement spacers. Infection. 2006;34:81–86. CrossRef
- Tsukayama DT, Goldberg VM, Kyle R. Diagnosis and management of infection after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85(suppl 1):S75–80.
- Tunney MM, Ramage G, Patrick S, Nixon JR, Murphy PG, Gorman SP. Antimicrobial susceptibility of bacteria isolated from orthopedic implants following revision hip surgery. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:3002–3005.
- Van Thiel GS, Berend KR, Klein GR, Gordon AC, Lombardi AV, Della Valle CJ. Intraoperative molds to create an articulating spacer for the infected knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:994–1001. CrossRef
- Villanueva-Martinez M, Rios-Luna A, Pereiro J, Fahandez-Saddi H, Villamor A. Hand-made articulating spacers in two-stage revision for infected total knee arthroplasty: good outcome in 30 patients. Acta Orthop. 2008;79:674–682. CrossRef
- Wan Z, Karim A, Momaya A, Incavo SJ, Mathis KB. Preformed articulating knee spacers in 2-stage total knee revision arthroplasty: minimum 2-year follow-up. J Arthroplasty. 2012;27:1469–1473. CrossRef
- Watanakunakorn C, Tisone JC. Synergism between vancomycin and gentamicin or tobramycin for methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1982;22:903–905. CrossRef
- Wilde AH, Ruth JT. Two-stage reimplantation in infected total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;236:23–35.
- Zimmerli W, Trampuz A, Ochsner PE. Prosthetic-joint infections. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1645–1654. CrossRef
- Industrially Prefabricated Cement Spacers: Do Vancomycin- and Gentamicin-impregnated Spacers Offer Any Advantage?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital Universitario Vall d′Hebron, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. Reconstruction and Septic Surgery Division, Hospital Universitario Vall d′Hebron, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- 3. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital de Traumatología y Rehabilitación Vall d′Hebron, Passeig Vall d′Hebron 119-129, 08035, Barcelona, Spain