Editor's Spotlight/Take 5: Nano-ceramic Composite Scaffolds for Bioreactor-based Bone Engineering
- Seth S. Leopold MD
- … show all 1 hide
Most of the content we publish comes under the “Clinical Orthopaedics” banner. Yet, our journal’s name consists of four essential words, not two. The article from Dr. Cato Laurencin’s (Fig. 1) award-winning laboratory is a sterling example of the “Related Research” side of our journal that clinical orthopaedists should not ignore.Fig. 1
The problem is, many of us will get halfway through the title and consider the work beyond our grasp. Do not get discouraged — this material is both approachable and important. Some background here, as well as in the Take 5 interview that follows, may help those who are unfamiliar.
Broadly speaking, Dr. Laurencin’s team is engineering biologically active polymeric/ceramic scaffolds (matrices populated with different kinds of cells, including stem cells) that share properties of bone. These amped-up scaffolds may promote bone regeneration becaus ...
- Jabbarzadeh E, Jiang T, Deng M, Nair LS, Khan YM, Laurencin CT. Human endothelial cell growth and phenotypic expression on three dimensional poly(lactide-co-glycolide) sintered microsphere scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2007;98:1094–1102. CrossRef
- Laurencin CT, Lakshmi NS. Nanotechnology and Tissue Engineering: The Scaffold. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2008:1–353.
- Laurencin CT, Khan Y. Regenerative engineering. Sci Transl Med. 2012;4:160ed9.
- Laurencin CT, Kumbar SG, Nukavarapu SP. Nanotechnology and orthopedics: a personal perspective. Wiley Interdiscp Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2009;1:6–10. CrossRef
- Editor's Spotlight/Take 5: Nano-ceramic Composite Scaffolds for Bioreactor-based Bone Engineering
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 8 , pp 2419-2421
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 1600 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19013, USA