Is There a Role for Knee Arthrodesis With Modular Endoprostheses for Tumor and Revision of Failed Endoprostheses?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Knee arthrodeses are performed to treat infection after arthroplasty and tumors requiring extensive soft tissue resection. Many techniques have been described, but most have important disadvantages. Currently, endoprosthetic arthrodesis implants are available, but little is known about them.
Our objective was to analyze a series of knee arthrodeses with a modular prosthetic system to evaluate (1) survivorship of the implant, (2) complications, (3) whether survivorship differed between arthrodeses done for primary tumor resection and revision reconstructions, and (4) whether survivorship differed based on the presence of previous infection or the use of a gastrocnemius flap.
We present 32 patients with modular knee arthrodeses; arthrodeses were performed in 25 patients with tumors and in seven patients without tumors. There were 14 implants done at the time of tumor resection and 18 for revision of failed implants. Survivorship and complications were analyzed with Kaplan-Meier curves. Log-rank test was used for comparison between primary and revision implants, not infected and previously infected implants, and use or nonuse of a gastrocnemius flap.
Survivorship of arthrodeses with modular endoprostheses was 50% and 25% at 5 and 10 years, respectively. There were nine infections (29%) and one implant fracture (3%). Amputation as final surgery was required in 8 patients (six owing to infection and two to oncologic failures). There was no significant difference in survivorship between arthrodeses done for primary tumor resection and as a salvage procedure for failed implants. No differences were found between patients with and without prior infection or with and without a gastrocnemius flap.
Survivorship of a modular arthrodesis implant was 50% at 5 years owing to a high complication rate. Infection is the most common cause of failure of oncologic and revision implants. Implant fracture is a rare occurrence. Modular segmental arthrodesis provides a stable construct for patients in whom limb preservation is possible but a hinged device is contraindicated as a result of major muscle resection.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Arroyo JS, Garvin KL, Neff JR. Arthrodesis of the knee with a modular titanium intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:26–35. CrossRef
- Bargiotas K, Wohlrab D, Sewecke JJ, Lavinge G, Demeo PJ, Sotereanos NG. Arthrodesis of the knee with a long intramedullary nail following the failure of a total knee arthroplasty as the result of infection. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:553–558. CrossRef
- Bartlett W, Vijayan S, Pollock R, Skinner J, Blunn G, Cannon S, Briggs T. The Stanmore knee arthrodesis prosthesis. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:903–908. CrossRef
- Benevenia J, Makley JT, Locke M, Gentili A, Heiner J. Resection arthrodesis of the knee for tumor: large intercalary allograft and long intramedullary nail technique. Semin Arthroplasty. 1994;5:76–84.
- Campanacci M, Costa P. Total resection of distal femur or proximal tibia for bone tumours: autogenous bone grafts and arthrodesis in twenty-six cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1979;61:455–463.
- Capanna R, Biagini R, Ruggieri P, Bettelli G, Casadei R, Campanacci M. Temporary resection-arthrodesis of the knee using an intramedullary rod and bone cement. Int Orthop. 1989;13:253–258. CrossRef
- Charnley J, Lowe HG. A study of the end-results of compression arthrodesis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1958;40:633–635.
- Christie MJ, DeBoer DK, McQueen DA, Cooke FW, Hahn DL. Salvage procedures for failed total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85(suppl 1):S58–62.
- Conway JD, Mont MA, Bezwada HP. Arthrodesis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:835–848.
- Donati D, Giacomini S, Gozzi E, Salphale Y, Mercuri M, Mankin HJ, Springfield DS, Gebhardt MC. Allograft arthrodesis treatment of bone tumors: a two-center study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;400:217–224. CrossRef
- Donley BG, Matthews LS, Kaufer H. Arthrodesis of the knee with an intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991;73:907–913.
- Enneking WF, Shirley PD. Resection-arthrodesis for malignant and potentially malignant lesions about the knee using an intramedullary rod and local bone grafts. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977;59:223–236.
- Figgie HE 3rd, Brody GA, Inglis AE, Sculco TP, Goldberg VM, Figgie MP. Knee arthrodesis following total knee arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987;224:237–243.
- 14. Gebhardt MC, McGuire MH, Mankin HJ. Resection and allograft arthrodesis for malignant bone tumors of the extremity. In: Enneking WF, ed. Bristol-Myers/Zimmer Orthopedic Symposium. Limb Salvage in Musculoskeletal Oncology. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 1987:567–582.
- Giurea A, Paternostro T, Heinz-Peer G, Kaider A, Gottsauner-Wolf F. Function of reinserted abductor muscles after femoral replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1998;80:284–287. CrossRef
- Gosheger G, Hillmann A, Lindner N, Rödl R, Hoffmann C, Bürger H, Winkelmann W. Soft tissue reconstruction of megaprostheses using a trevira tube. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;393:264–271. CrossRef
- Hak DJ, Lieberman JR, Finerman GA. Single plane and biplane external fixators for knee arthrodesis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995;316:134–144.
- Henderson ER, Groundland JS, Pala E, Dennis JA, Wooten R, Cheong D, Windhager R, Kotz RI, Mercuri M, Funovics PT, Hornicek FJ, Temple HT, Ruggieri P, Letson GD. Failure mode classification for tumor endoprostheses: retrospective review of five institutions and a literature review. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:418–429. CrossRef
- Incavo SJ, Lilly JW, Bartlett CS, Churchill DL. Arthrodesis of the knee: experience with intramedullary nailing. J Arthroplasty. 2000;15:871–876. CrossRef
- Jeys LM, Grimer RJ, Carter SR, Tillman RM. Periprosthetic infection in patients treated for an orthopaedic oncological condition. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:842–849. CrossRef
- Juvara E. Procede de Resection de la partie superieure du tibia. [Process for resection of the upper part of the tibia] Presse Med. 1921;29:241–242.
- Knutson K, Hovelius L, Lindstrand A, Lidgren L. Arthrodesis after failed knee arthroplasty: a nationwide multicenter investigation of 91 cases. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984;191:202–211.
- Kühne CA, Taeger G, Nast-Kolb D, Ruchholtz S. Knee arthrodesis after infected tumor mega prosthesis of the knee using an intramedullary nail for callus distraction. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2003;388:56–59.
- Lucas DB, Murray WR. Arthrodesis of the knee by double-plating. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1961;43:795–808.
- Makley JT. The use of allografts to reconstruct intercalary defects of long bones. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985;197:58–75.
- Mavrogenis A, Pala E, Angelini A, Ferraro A, Ruggieri P. Proximal tibial resections and reconstructions: clinical outcome of 225 patients. J Surg Oncol. 2013;107:335–342. CrossRef
- Merle D’Aubigne R, Dejouany JP. Diaphyso-epiphysial resection for bone tumour at the knee with reports of nine cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1958;40:385–395.
- Merle D’Aubigne R, Meary R, Thomine JM. [Resection in the treatment of bone tumors][in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1966;52:305–324.
- Minear SC, Lee G, Kahn D, Goodman S. Arthrodesis using pedicled fibular flap after failed infected knee arthroplasty. Eplasty. 2011;11:e45.
- Nelson CL, Evarts CM. Arthroplasty and arthrodesis of the knee joint. Orthop Clin North Am. 1971;2:245–264.
- Nouri H, Meherzi MH, Jenzeri M, Daghfous M, Hdidane R, Zehi K, Tarhouni L, Karray S, Baccari S, Mestiri M, Zouari M. Knee arthrodesis using a vascularised fibular rotatory graft after tumor resection. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2010;96:57–63. CrossRef
- Pritchett JW, Mallin BA, Matthews AC. Knee arthrodesis with a tension-band plate. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988;70:285–288.
- Puranen J, Kortelainen P, Jalovaara P. Arthrodesis of the knee with intramedullary nail fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:433–442.
- Puri A, Gulia A, Pruthi M, Koushik S. Primary cement spacers: a cost-effective, durable limb salvage option for knee tumors. Knee. 2012;19:320–323. CrossRef
- Putti V. A study of two cases of tumour of the femur. The Robert Jones Birthday Volume. London, UK: Oxford University Press; 1928:35–34.
- Rand JA, Bryan RS, Chao EY. Failed total knee arthroplasty treated by arthrodesis of the knee using the Ace-Fischer apparatus. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987;69:39–45.
- Rasmussen MR, Bishop AT, Wood MB. Arthrodesis of the knee with a vascularized fibular rotatory graft. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:751–759.
- Rougraff BT, Simon MA, Kneisl JS, Greenberg DB, Mankin HJ. Limb salvage compared with amputation for osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur: a long-term oncological, functional, and quality-of-life study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994;76:649–656.
- Ruggieri P, Kasimatis G, Errani C, Bosco G, Mercuri M. Desarthrodesis and prosthetic reconstruction of the knee after resection of bone tumors. J Surg Oncol. 2010;102:832–837. CrossRef
- Ruggieri P, Mavrogenis AF, Bianchi G, Sakellariou VI, Mercuri M, Papagelopoulos PJ. Outcome of the intramedullary diaphyseal segmental defect fixation system for bone tumors. J Surg Oncol. 2011;104:83–90. CrossRef
- Ruggieri P, Mavrogenis AF, Pala E, Abdel-Mota’al M, Mercuri M. Long term results of fixed-hinge megaprostheses in limb salvage for malignancy. Knee. 2012;19:543–549. CrossRef
- Senior CJ, da Assunção RE, Barlow IW. Knee arthrodesis for limb salvage with an intramedullary coupled nail. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2007;128:683–687. CrossRef
- Simon MA, Aschliman MA, Thomas N, Mankin HJ. Limb-salvage treatment versus amputation for osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1986;68:1331-1337.
- Somayaji HS, Tsaggerides P, Ware HE, Dowd GS. Knee arthrodesis: a review. Knee. 2008;15:247–254. CrossRef
- Vlasak R, Gearen PF, Petty W. Knee arthrodesis in the treatment of failed total knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995;321:138–144.
- Wada T, Usui M, Isu K, Yamawakii S, Ishii S. Reconstruction and limb salvage after resection for malignant bone tumour of the proximal humerus: a sling procedure using a free vascularised fibular graft. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:808–813. CrossRef
- Waldman BJ, Mont MA, Payman KR, Freiberg AA, Windsor RE, Sculco TP, Hungerford DS. Infected total knee arthroplasty treated with arthrodesis using a modular nail. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;367:230–237. CrossRef
- White SP, Porteous AJ, Newman JH, Mintowt-Czyz W, Barr V. Arthrodesis of the knee using a custom-made intramedullary coupled device. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003;85:57–61. CrossRef
- Wirganowicz PZ, Eckardt JJ, Dorey FJ, Eilber FR, Kabo JM. Etiology and results of tumor endoprosthesis revision surgery in 64 patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;358:64–74. CrossRef
- Is There a Role for Knee Arthrodesis With Modular Endoprostheses for Tumor and Revision of Failed Endoprostheses?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 10 , pp 3326-3335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors