Consensus Statement from the Consensus Conference on Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty Group
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Controversy exists regarding many aspects of decision making pertaining to same-day versus staged bilateral TKA (BTKAs), including patient selection, perioperative management decisions, and other important choices.
In the absence of suitable randomized trials, we sought to determine areas of consensus among national experts on the following questions: (1) What are the comparative risks of same-day BTKAs compared with unilateral TKA (UTKA) and staged BTKAs? (2) Who should be considered an appropriate candidate for same-day BTKAs? (3) What constitutes appropriate workup and perioperative management for BTKAs? (4) What is the optimal time between procedures if same-day BTKAs are not deemed appropriate? (5) Are there orthopaedic or rehabilitation considerations for BTKAs that might outweigh medical contraindications?
In the setting of a consensus conference of national experts in orthopaedic surgery, anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, and epidemiology, the major questions surrounding same-day BTKAs were addressed by using an extensive literature review and the modified Delphi process. The process concluded with a meeting of participants and formulation of consensus statements.
Eighty-one percent of participants agreed that BTKAs are more invasive and complex procedures associated with increased risk for perioperative adverse events compared with UTKA in an unselected group of patients. The consensus group agreed that physicians and hospitals should consider using more restrictive patient selection criteria and exclude those with a modified cardiac risk index greater than 3 to mitigate the potentially increased risk. The majority of the group agreed that perioperative assessment and management should reflect the higher level of acuity of same-day BTKAs. Eighty-one percent of participants agreed that if a patient is not deemed a candidate for same-day BTKAs, a second TKA should be scheduled no sooner than 3 months after the first. The entire group agreed that when there is a conflict between the orthopaedic need and the medical adequacy of same-day BTKAs, the medical concern for the patient’s safety should prevail over the orthopaedic need.
Experts perceived that same-day BTKAs increase medical risk, and thus a systematic approach to the management of patients should be taken to minimize complications.
- Barrett J, Baron JA, Losina E, Wright J, Mahomed NN, Katz JN. Bilateral total knee replacement: staging and pulmonary embolism. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:2146–2151. CrossRef
- Basilico FC, Sweeney G, Losina E, Gaydos J, Skoniecki D, Wright EA, Katz JN. Risk factors for cardiovascular complications following total joint replacement surgery. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:1915–1920. CrossRef
- Benjamin J, Tucker T, Ballesteros P. Is obesity a contraindication to bilateral total knee arthroplasties under one anesthetic? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;392:190–195. CrossRef
- Berend KR, Morris MJ, Skeels MD, Lombardi AV Jr, Adams JB. Perioperative complications of simultaneous versus staged unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:168–173. CrossRef
- Bottner F, Pavone V, Johnson T, Heitkemper S, Sculco TP. Blood management after bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;410:254–261. CrossRef
- Bullock DP, Sporer SM, Shirreffs TG Jr. Comparison of simultaneous bilateral with unilateral total knee arthroplasty in terms of perioperative complications. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:1981–1986.
- Carson JL, Grossman BJ, Kleinman S, Tinmouth AT, Marques MB, Fung MK, Holcomb JB, Illoh O, Kaplan LJ, Katz LM, Rao SV, Roback JD, Shander A, Tobian AAR, Weinstein R, Swinton McLaughlin LG, Djulbegovic B; Clinical Transfusion Medicine Committee of the AABB. Red blood bell transfusion: a clinical practice guideline from the AABB. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157:49–58. CrossRef
- Ersozlu S, Akkaya T, Ozgur AF, Sahin O, Senturk I, Tandogan R. Bilateral staged total knee arthroplasty in obese patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008;128:143–148. CrossRef
- Fabi DW, Mohan V, Goldstein WM, Dunn JH, Murphy BP. Unilateral vs bilateral total knee arthroplasty risk factors increasing morbidity. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:668–673. CrossRef
- Ferraris VA, Davenport DL, Saha SP, Austin PC, Zwischenberger JB. Surgical outcomes and transfusion of minimal amounts of blood in the operating room. Arch Surg. 2012;147:49–55. CrossRef
- Fleisher LA, Beckman JA, Brown KA, Calkins H, Chaikof E, Fleischmann KE, Freeman WK, Froehlich JB, Kasper EK, Kersten JR, Riegel B, Robb JF, Smith SC Jr, Jacobs AK, Adams CD, Anderson JL, Antman EM, Buller CE, Creager MA, Ettinger SM, Faxon DP, Fuster V, Halperin JL, Hiratzka LF, Hunt SA, Lytle BW, Nishimura R, Ornato JP, Page RL, Tarkington LG, Yancy CW; American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2002 Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery); American Society of Echocardiography; American Society of Nuclear Cardiology; Heart Rhythm Society; Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists; Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions; Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology; Society for Vascular Surgery. ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and care for noncardiac surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2002 Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery): developed in collaboration with the American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Heart Rhythm Society, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology, and Society for Vascular Surgery. Circulation. 2007;116:e418–499.
- Forster MC, Bauze AJ, Bailie AG, Falworth MS, Oakeshott RD. A retrospective comparative study of bilateral total knee replacement staged at a one-week interval. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:1006–1010. CrossRef
- Hashmi FR, Barlas K, Mann CF, Howell FR. Staged bilateral hip or knee arthroplasties. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2007;15:159–162.
- Hu J, Liu Y, Lv Z, Li X, Qin X, Fan W. Mortality and morbidity associated with simultaneous bilateral or staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2011;131:1291–1298. CrossRef
- Hutchinson JR, Parish EN, Cross MJ. A comparison of bilateral uncemented total knee arthroplasty: simultaneous or staged? J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:40–43.
- Jankiewicz JJ, Sculco TP, Ranawat CS, Behr C, Tarrentino S. One-stage versus 2-stage bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;309:94–101.
- Jules-Elysee KM, Wilfred SE, Memstoudis SG, Kim DH, YaDeau JT, Urban MK, Lichardi ML, McLawhorn AS, Sculco TP. Steroid modulation of cytokine release and desmosine levels in bilateral total knee replacement: a prospective randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012;94:2120–2127. CrossRef
- Jules-Elysee KM, YaDeau JT, Urban MK. Pulmonary artery versus central venous catheter monitoring in the outcome of patients undergoing bilateral total knee replacement. HSS J. 2009;5:27–30. CrossRef
- Kim S, Losina E, Solomon DH, Wright J, Katz JN. Effectiveness of clinical pathways for total knee and total hip arthroplasty: literature review. J Arthroplasty. 2003;18:69–74. CrossRef
- Kim YH, Choi YW, Kim JS. Simultaneous bilateral sequential total knee replacement is as safe as unilateral total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91:64–68. CrossRef
- Lee TH, Marcantonio ER, Mangione CM, Thomas EJ, Polanczyk CA, Cook EF, Sugarbaker DJ, Donaldson MC, Poss R, Ho KK, Ludwig LE, Pedan A, Goldman L. Derivation and prospective validation of a simple index for prediction of cardiac risk of major noncardiac surgery. Circulation. 1999;100:1043–1049. CrossRef
- Leitch KK, Dalgorf D, Borkhoff CM, Kreder HJ. Bilateral total knee arthroplasty: staged or simultaneous? Ontario’s orthopedic surgeons reply. Can J Surg. 2005;48:273–276.
- Linstone HA, Turoff M, eds. The Delphi Method: Technique and Application. Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley; 1975.
- Macfarlane AJ, Prasad GA, Chan VW, Brull R. Does regional anesthesia improve outcome after total knee arthroplasty? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:2379–2402. CrossRef
- MacGillivray RG, Tarabichi SB, Hawari MF, Raoof NT. Tranexamic acid to reduce blood loss after bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomized double blind study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:24–28. CrossRef
- Mantilla CB, Horlocker TT, Schroeder DR, Berry DJ, Brown DL. Frequency of myocardial infarction, pulmonary embolism, deep venous thrombosis, and death following primary hip or knee arthroplasty. Anesthesiology. 2002;96:1140–1146. CrossRef
- Meehan JP, Danielsen B, Tancredi DJ, Kim S, Jamali AA, White RH. A population-based comparison of the incidence of adverse outcomes after simultaneous-bilateral and staged-bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:2203–2213. CrossRef
- Memtsoudis SG, Besculides MC, Reid S, Gaber-Baylis LK, Gonzalez Della Valle A. Trends in bilateral total knee arthroplasties: 153,259 discharges between 1990 and 2004. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:1568–1576.
- Memtsoudis SG, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Besculides MC, Gaber L, Sculco TP. In-hospital complications and mortality of unilateral, bilateral, and revision TKA: based on an estimate of 4,159,661 discharges. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:2617–2627. CrossRef
- Memtsoudis SG, Ma Y, Chiu YL, Poultsides L, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Mazumdar M. Bilateral total knee arthroplasty: risk factors for major morbidity and mortality. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:784–790.
- Memtsoudis SG, Ma Y, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Mazumdar M, Gaber-Baylis LK, MacKenzie CR, Sculco TP. Perioperative outcomes after unilateral and bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Anesthesiology. 2009;111:1206–1216. CrossRef
- Memtsoudis SG, Mantilla CB, Parvizi J, Stundner O, Mazumdar M. Have bilateral total knee arthroplasties become safer? A population-based trend analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013;471:17–25. CrossRef
- Noble J, Goodall JR, Noble DJ. Simultaneous bilateral total knee replacement: a persistent controversy. Knee. 2009;16:420–426. CrossRef
- Oakes DA, Hanssen AD. Bilateral total knee replacement using the same anesthetic is not justified by assessment of the risks. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;428:87–91. CrossRef
- Parvizi J, Chaudhry S, Rasouli MR, Pulido L, Joshi A, Herman JH, Rothman RH. Who needs autologous blood donation in joint replacement? J Knee Surg. 2011;24:25–31. CrossRef
- Pavone V, Johnson T, Saulog PS, Sculco TP, Bottner F. Perioperative morbidity in bilateral one-stage total knee replacements. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;421:155–161. CrossRef
- Peskun C, Mayne I, Malempati H, Kosashvili Y, Gross A, Backstein D. Cardiovascular disease predicts complications following bilateral total knee arthroplasty under a single anesthetic. Knee. 2012;19:580–584. CrossRef
- Reidy CM, Beach ML, Gallagher JD, Sites BD. Postoperative hemodynamic instability after simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Patient Saf. 2010;6:233–237. CrossRef
- Restrepo C, Parvizi J, Dietrich T, Einhorn TA. Safety of simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:1220–1226. CrossRef
- Ritter M, Mamlin LA, Melfi CA, Katz BP, Freund DA, Arthur DS. Outcome implications for the timing of bilateral total knee arthroplasties. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;345:99–105. CrossRef
- Ritter MA, Harty LD, Davis KE, Meding JB, Berend M. Simultaneous bilateral, staged bilateral, and unilateral total knee arthroplasty: a survival analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:1532–1537.
- Rojas-Serrano J, González-Velásquez E, Mejía M, Sánchez-Rodríguez A, Carrillo G. Interstitial lung disease related to rheumatoid arthritis: evolution after treatment. Reumatol Clin. 2012;8:68–71. CrossRef
- Severson EP, Mariani EM, Bourne MH. Bilateral total knee arthroplasty in patients 70 years and older. Orthopedics. 2009;32:316. CrossRef
- Shin YH, Kim MH, Ko JS, Park JA. The safety of simultaneous bilateral versus unilateral total knee arthroplasty: the experience in a Korean hospital. Singapore Med J. 2010;51:44–49.
- Sliva CD, Callaghan JJ, Goetz DD, Taylor SG. Staggered bilateral total knee arthroplasty performed four to seven days apart during a single hospitalization. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:508–513. CrossRef
- Stefánsdóttir A, Lidgren L, Robertsson O. Higher early mortality with simultaneous rather than staged bilateral TKAs: results from the Swedish Knee Arthroplasty Register. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:3066–3070. CrossRef
- Stundner O, Chiu YL, Sun X, Mazumdar M, Fleischut P, Poultsides L, Gerner P, Fritsch G, Memtsoudis SG. Comparative perioperative outcomes associated with neuraxial versus general anesthesia for simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012;37:638–644. CrossRef
- Taylor BC, Dimitris C, Mowbray JG, Gaines ST, Steensen RN. Perioperative safety of two-team simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty in the obese patient. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010;5:38. CrossRef
- Thorey F, Stukenborg-Colsman C, Windhagen H, Wirth CJ. The effect of tourniquet release timing on perioperative blood loss in simultaneous bilateral cemented total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomized study. Technol Health Care. 2008;16:85–92.
- Urban MK, Chisholm M, Wukovits B. Are postoperative complications more common with single-stage bilateral (SBTKR) than with unilateral knee arthroplasty: guidelines for patients scheduled for SBTKR. HSS J. 2006;2:78–82. CrossRef
- Walmsley P, Murray A, Brenkel IJ. The practice of bilateral, simultaneous total knee replacement in Scotland over the last decade: data from the Scottish Arthroplasty Project. Knee. 2006;13:102–105. CrossRef
- Wu CC, Lin CP, Yeh YC, Cheng YJ, Sun WZ, Hou SM. Does different time interval between staggered bilateral total knee arthroplasty affect perioperative outcome? A retrospective study. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:539–542. CrossRef
- Yoon HS, Han CD, Yang IH. Comparison of simultaneous bilateral and staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty in terms of perioperative complications. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:179–185. CrossRef
- Zeni JA Jr, Snyder-Mackler L. Clinical outcomes after simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty: comparison to unilateral total knee arthroplasty and healthy controls. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:541–546. CrossRef
- Consensus Statement from the Consensus Conference on Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty Group
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 8 , pp 2649-2657
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
- 2. Department of Perioperative Medicine, Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson University, The Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 4. School of Business Administration, The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, USA
- 5. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA