Letter to the Editor: Surgical Technique: Unicondylar Osteoallograft Prosthesis Composite in Tumor Limb Salvage Surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To the Editor:
We read with great interest the article, ‘‘Surgical Technique: Unicondylar Osteoallograft Prosthesis Composite in Tumor Limb Salvage Surgery’’ by Fan et al. . We thank them for sharing their experience; however, we have some concerns.
The method using an osteoarticular allograft with a prosthetic composite is not new and has been discussed in a much larger series before . We agree with Fan et al. that the described technique using a unicondylar osteoallograft prosthesis composite has not been described before. However, even if their article  is only a technical note, we think that the success of this method is not proven by the published short-term results. To exclude intermediate- and long-term complications (such as mechanical failure), a larger patient number with a longer followup is necessary.
We also are concerned about the high number of local recurrences in this case series. Analyzing the subgroups, there is a local recurrence rate of 33% in patients with h ...
- Balke M, Ahrens H, Streitbuerger A, Koehler G, Winkelmann W, Gosheger G, Hardes J. Treatment options for recurrent giant cell tumors of bone. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2009;135:149–158. CrossRef
- Balke M, Schremper L, Gebert C, Ahrens H, Streitbuerger A, Koehler G, Hardes J, Gosheger G. Giant cell tumor of bone: treatment and outcome of 214 cases. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:969–978. CrossRef
- Brigman BE, Hornicek FJ, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ. Allografts about the knee in young patients with high-grade sarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;421:232–239. CrossRef
- Fan H, Guo Z, Wang Z, Li J, Li X. Surgical technique: Unicondylar osteoallograft prosthesis composite in tumor limb salvage surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:3577–3586. CrossRef
- Kivioja AH, Blomqvist C, Hietaniemi K, Trovik C, Walloe A, Bauer HC, Jorgensen PH, Bergh P, Folleras G. Cement is recommended in intralesional surgery of giant cell tumors: a Scandinavian Sarcoma Group study of 294 patients followed for a median time of 5 years. Acta Orthop. 2008;79:86–93. CrossRef
- Streitburger A, Ahrens H, Balke M, Buerger H, Winkelmann W, Gosheger G, Hardes J. Grade I chondrosarcoma of bone: the Münster experience. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2009;135:543–550. CrossRef
- von Vult Steyern F, Bauer HC, Trovik C, Kivioja A, Bergh P, HolmbergJorgensen P, Folleras G, Rydholm A. (2006) Treatment of local recurrences of giant cell tumour in long bones after curettage and cementing: a Scandinavian Sarcoma Group study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 88:531–535. CrossRef
- Letter to the Editor: Surgical Technique: Unicondylar Osteoallograft Prosthesis Composite in Tumor Limb Salvage Surgery
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 6 , pp 2037-2038
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors