Orthopaedic Healthcare Worldwide: Shared Medical Decision Making in Orthopaedics
- Kevin J. Bozic MD, MBA
- … show all 1 hide
During a recent lecture on the implications of healthcare reform for the field of orthopaedic surgery, I asked a group of surgeons how many of them currently engage in shared medical decision making (SDM) with their patients. Nearly 100% of hands went up. While this is certainly an admirable goal, most physicians have a limited understanding of the principles and goals of true shared medical decision making, and many of us lack the training and expertise required to regularly incorporate patient preferences and values into our clinical decision making.
The Informed Medical Decisions Foundation (IMDF) defines SDM as “a collaborative process that allows patients and their providers to make health care decisions together, taking into account the best scientific evidence available, as well as the patient’s values and preferences” . The IMDF goes on to explain, “SDM honors both the provider’s expert knowledge and the patient’s right to be fully informed of all care options and the potenti
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Question Builder. 2012. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/questions/qb/. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Arterburn D, Wellman R, Westbrook E, Rutter C, Ross T, McCulloch D, Handley M, Jung C. Introducing decision aids at Group Health was linked to sharply lower hip and knee surgery rates and costs. Health Aff (Millwood). 2012;31:2094–2104. CrossRef
- Avva. Avvahealth. 2012. Available at: http://www.avvahealth.com/?m=t. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Informed Medical Decisions Foundation. Informed Medical Decisions. Available at: http://www.informedmedicaldecisions.org/. Accessed July 6, 2009.
- Stacey D, Bennett CL, Barry MJ, Col NF, Eden KB, Holmes-Rovner M, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Lyddiatt A, Legare F, Thomson R. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011:CD001431.
- The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice. The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care. Available at: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- Orthopaedic Healthcare Worldwide: Shared Medical Decision Making in Orthopaedics
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 5 , pp 1412-1414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Business School, Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 500 Parnassus Avenue, MU320W, San Francisco, CA, 94143, USA