Outcomes After Volar Plate Fixation of Low-grade Open and Closed Distal Radius Fractures Are Similar
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Low-grade (Gustilo and Anderson Type I or II) open distal radius fractures (DRFs) have been treated by volar locking plate fixation. However, it is unclear whether the outcomes after volar locking plate fixation for low-grade open DRFs are comparable to those for closed DRFs.
We asked whether low-grade open DRFs had worse DASH scores and higher infection rates than closed DRFs when the DRFs were treated by volar plate fixation.
Twenty consecutive patients treated by volar locking plate fixation for low-grade open DRFs constituted the open fracture group, and 40 patients were selected from among the total number of patients treated by volar, locking plate fixation for closed DRFs as the closed fracture group. Complications including infection were recorded. Clinical outcomes and radiographic assessments were performed postoperatively at 3 months and 1 year.
At 3 postoperative months, wrist flexion and extension, grip strengths, and DASH scores were better in the closed fracture group; however, no difference was observed postoperatively between the two groups in terms of any functional outcome measure at 1 year. Any of the radiographic parameters were not different between the groups. There were no differences in infection rate and in any other complication rate between the groups.
Although functional outcomes of open DRFs were inferior to those of closed DRFs at 3 months, at 1 year, outcomes of low-grade open DRFs were found to be comparable to those of closed DRFs when volar plate fixation was used.
Level of Evidence
Level III, prognostic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Chung, KC, Shauver, MJ, Birkmeyer, JD (2009) Trends in the United States in the treatment of distal radial fractures in the elderly. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91: pp. 1868-1873 CrossRef
- Cole, RJ, Bindra, RR, Evanoff, BA, Gilula, LA, Yamaguchi, K, Gelberman, RH (1997) Radiographic evaluation of osseous displacement following intra-articular fractures of the distal radius: reliability of plain radiography versus computed tomography. J Hand Surg Am. 22: pp. 792-800 CrossRef
- Crosby, CA, Wehbe, MA (1994) Hand strength: normative values. J Hand Surg Am. 19: pp. 665-670 CrossRef
- Duncan, R, Geissler, W, Freeland, AE, Savoie, FH (1992) Immediate internal fixation of open fractures of the diaphysis of the forearm. J Orthop Trauma. 6: pp. 25-31
- Glueck, DA, Charoglu, CP, Lawton, JN (2009) Factors associated with infection following open distal radius fractures. Hand (NY). 4: pp. 330-334 CrossRef
- Goldfarb, CA, Yin, Y, Gilula, LA, Fisher, AJ, Boyer, MI (2001) Wrist fractures: what the clinician wants to know. Radiology. 219: pp. 11-28
- Gustilo, RB, Anderson, JT (1976) Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures of long bones: retrospective and prospective analyses. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 58: pp. 453-458
- Hudak, PL, Amadio, PC, Bombardier, C (1996) Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: the DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand) [corrected]. The Upper Extremity Collaborative Group (UECG). Am J Ind Med. 29: pp. 602-608 CrossRef
- Kim, JK, Koh, YD, Do, NH (2010) Should an ulnar styloid fracture be fixed following volar plate fixation of a distal radial fracture?. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 92: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Kim, JK, Koh, YD, Kook, SH (2011) Effect of calcium phosphate bone cement augmentation on volar plate fixation of unstable distal radial fractures in the elderly. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 93: pp. 609-614 CrossRef
- Knirk, JL, Jupiter, JB (1986) Intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius in young adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 68: pp. 647-659
- Kurylo, JC, Axelrad, TW, Tornetta, P, Jawa, A (2011) Open fractures of the distal radius: the effects of delayed debridement and immediate internal fixation on infection rates and the need for secondary procedures. J Hand Surg Am. 36: pp. 1131-1134 CrossRef
- Marsh, JL, Slongo, TF, Agel, J, Broderick, JS, Creevey, W, DeCoster, TA, Prokuski, L, Sirkin, MS, Ziran, B, Henley, B, Audigé, L (2007) Fracture and dislocation classification compendium - 2007: Orthopaedic Trauma Association classification, database and outcomes committee. J Orthop Trauma. 21: pp. S1-S133 CrossRef
- Mattila, VM, Huttunen, TT, Sillanpää, P, Niemi, S, Pihlajamäki, H, Kannus, P (2011) Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland. J Trauma. 71: pp. 939-942 CrossRef
- Medoff, RJ (2005) Essential radiographic evaluation for distal radius fractures. Hand Clin. 21: pp. 279-288 CrossRef
- Moed, BR, Kellam, JF, Foster, RJ, Tile, M, Hansen, ST (1986) Immediate internal fixation of open fractures of the diaphysis of the forearm. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 68: pp. 1008-1017
- Orbay, J (2005) Volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures. Hand Clin. 21: pp. 347-354 CrossRef
- Orbay, J, Badia, A, Khoury, RK, Gonzalez, E, Indriago, I (2004) Volar fixed-angle fixation of distal radius fractures: the DVR plate. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 8: pp. 142-148 CrossRef
- Orbay, JL, Fernandez, DL (2004) Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient. J Hand Surg Am. 29: pp. 96-102 CrossRef
- Petersen, P, Petrick, M, Connor, H, Conklin, D (1989) Grip strength and hand dominance: challenging the 10% rule. Am J Occup Ther. 43: pp. 444-447 CrossRef
- Rozental, TD, Beredjiklian, PK, Steinberg, DR, Bozentka, DJ (2002) Open fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am. 27: pp. 77-85 CrossRef
- Scheer, JH, Adolfsson, LE (2011) Radioulnar laxity and clinical outcome do not correlate after a distal radius fracture. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 36: pp. 503-508 CrossRef
- Soong, M, Leerdam, R, Guitton, TG, Got, C, Katarincic, J, Ring, D (2011) Fracture of the distal radius: risk factors for complications after locked volar plate fixation. J Hand Surg Am. 36: pp. 3-9 CrossRef
- Yang, EC, Eisler, J (2003) Treatment of isolated type I open fractures: is emergent operative debridement necessary?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 410: pp. 289-294 CrossRef
- Yu, YR, Makhni, MC, Tabrizi, S, Rozental, TD, Mundanthanam, G, Day, CS (2011) Complications of low-profile dorsal versus volar locking plates in the distal radius: a comparative study. J Hand Surg Am. 36: pp. 1135-1141 CrossRef
- Outcomes After Volar Plate Fixation of Low-grade Open and Closed Distal Radius Fractures Are Similar
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 6 , pp 2030-2035
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors