Surgical Technique: Computer-generated Custom Jigs Improve Accuracy of Wide Resection of Bone Tumors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Manual techniques of reproducing a preoperative plan for primary bone tumor resection using rudimentary devices and imprecise localization techniques can result in compromised margins or unnecessary removal of unaffected tissue. We examined whether a novel technique using computer-generated custom jigs more accurately reproduces a preoperative resection plan than a standard manual technique.
Description of Technique
Using CT images and advanced imaging, reverse engineering, and computer-assisted design software, custom jigs were designed to precisely conform to a specific location on the surface of partially skeletonized cadaveric femurs. The jigs were used to perform a hemimetaphyseal resection.
We performed CT scans on six matched pairs of cadaveric femurs. Based on a primary bone sarcoma model, a joint-sparing, hemimetaphyseal wide resection was precisely outlined on each femur. For each pair, the resection was performed using the standard manual technique on one specimen and the custom jig-assisted technique on the other. Superimposition of preoperative and postresection images enabled quantitative analysis of resection accuracy.
The mean maximum deviation from the preoperative plan was 9.0 mm for the manual group and 2.0 mm for the custom-jig group. The percentages of times the maximum deviation was greater than 3 mm and greater than 4 mm was 100% and 72% for the manual group and 5.6% and 0.0% for the custom-jig group, respectively.
Our findings suggest that custom-jig technology substantially improves the accuracy of primary bone tumor resection, enabling a surgeon to reproduce a given preoperative plan reliably and consistently.
- Alyafei, S, Inoue, T, Zhang, H, Ahmed, K, Oriuchi, N, Sato, N, Suzuki, H, Endo, K (1999) Image fusion system using PACS for MRI, CT, and PET Images. Clin Positron Imaging. 2: pp. 137-143 CrossRef
- Avedian, RS, Haydon, RC, Peabody, TD (2010) Multiplanar osteotomy with limited wide margins: a tissue preserving surgical technique for high-grade bone sarcomas. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 468: pp. 2754-2764 CrossRef
- Bacci, G, Briccoli, A, Longhi, A, Ferrari, S, Mercuri, M, Faggioli, F, Versari, M, Picci, P (2005) Treatment and outcome of recurrent osteosarcoma: experience at Rizzoli in 235 patients initially treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Acta Oncol. 44: pp. 748-755 CrossRef
- Bacci, G, Ferrari, S, Mercuri, M, Bertoni, F, Picci, P, Manfrini, M, Gasbarrini, A, Forni, C, Cesari, M, Campanacci, M (1998) Predictive factors for local recurrence in osteosarcoma: 540 patients with extremity tumors followed for minimum 2.5 years after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Acta Orthop Scand. 69: pp. 230-236 CrossRef
- Bacci, G, Forni, C, Longhi, A, Ferrari, S, Mercuri, M, Bertoni, F, Serra, M, Briccoli, A, Balladelli, A, Picci, P (2007) Local recurrence and local control of non-metastatic osteosarcoma of the extremities: a 27-year experience in a single institution. J Surg Oncol. 96: pp. 118-123 CrossRef
- Cartiaux, O, Docquier, PL, Paul, L, Francq, BG, Cornu, OH, Delloye, C, Raucent, B, Dehez, B, Banse, X (2008) Surgical inaccuracy of tumor resection and reconstruction within the pelvis: an experimental study. Acta Orthop. 79: pp. 695-702 CrossRef
- Cartiaux, O, Paul, L, Docquier, PL, Francq, BG, Raucent, B, Dombre, E, Banse, X (2009) Accuracy in planar cutting of bones: an ISO-based evaluation. Int J Med Robot. 5: pp. 77-84 CrossRef
- Cho, HS, Oh, JH, Han, I, Kim, HS (2009) Joint-preserving limb salvage surgery under navigation guidance. J Surg Oncol. 100: pp. 227-232 CrossRef
- Fitz, W (2009) Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty with use of novel patient-specific resurfacing implants and personalized jigs. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91: pp. 69-76 CrossRef
- Gebhardt, MC, Flugstad, DI, Springfield, DS, Mankin, HJ (1991) The use of bone allografts for limb salvage in high-grade extremity osteosarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 270: pp. 181-196
- Hoffer, FA, Nikanorov, AY, Reddick, WE, Bodner, SM, Xiong, X, Jones-Wallace, D, Gronemeyer, SA, Rao, BN, Kauffman, WM, Laor, T (2000) Accuracy of MR imaging for detecting epiphyseal extension of osteosarcoma. Pediatr Radiol. 30: pp. 289-298 CrossRef
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS)—Geometrical Tolerancing—Tolerances of Form, Orientation, Location and Run-out [ISO Standard 1101:2004]. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO; 2004.
- Kawai, A, Healey, JH, Boland, PJ, Athanasian, EA, Jeon, DG (1999) A rotating-hinge knee replacement for malignant tumors of the femur and tibia. J Arthroplasty. 14: pp. 187-196 CrossRef
- Kawai, A, Lin, PP, Boland, PJ, Athanasian, EA, Healey, JH (1999) Relationship between magnitude of resection, complication, and prosthetic survival after prosthetic knee reconstructions for distal femoral tumors. J Surg Oncol. 70: pp. 109-115 CrossRef
- Klatt, BA, Goyal, N, Austin, MS, Hozack, WJ (2008) Custom-fit total knee arthroplasty (OtisKnee) results in malalignment. J Arthroplasty. 23: pp. 26-29 CrossRef
- Koff MF, Chong le R, Virtue P, Chen D, Wang X, Wright T, Potter HG. Validation of cartilage thickness calculations using indentation analysis. J Biomech Eng. 2010;132:041007.
- Lombardi, AV, Berend, KR, Adams, JB (2008) Patient-specific approach in total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 31: pp. 927-930 CrossRef
- Mankin, HJ (2003) The changes in major limb reconstruction as a result of the development of allografts. Chir Organi Mov. 88: pp. 101-113
- Meyers, PA, Healey, JH, Chou, AJ, Wexler, LH, Merola, PR, Morris, CD, Laquaglia, MP, Kellick, MG, Abramson, SJ, Gorlick, R (2011) Addition of pamidronate to chemotherapy for the treatment of osteosarcoma. Cancer. 117: pp. 1736-1744 CrossRef
- Meyers, PA, Schwartz, CL, Krailo, MD, Healey, JH, Bernstein, ML, Betcher, D, Ferguson, WS, Gebhardt, MC, Goorin, AM, Harris, M, Kleinerman, E, Link, MP, Nadel, H, Nieder, M, Siegal, GP, Weiner, MA, Wells, RJ, Womer, RB, Grier, HE (2008) Osteosarcoma: the addition of muramyl tripeptide to chemotherapy improves overall survival—a report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 26: pp. 633-638 CrossRef
- Muscolo, DL, Ayerza, MA, Aponte-Tinao, LA, Abalo, E, Farfalli, G (2007) Unicondylar osteoarticular allografts of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 89: pp. 2137-2142 CrossRef
- Muscolo, DL, Ayerza, MA, Aponte-Tinao, LA, Ranalletta, M, Abalo, E (2004) Intercalary femur and tibia segmental allografts provide an acceptable alternative in reconstructing tumor resections. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 426: pp. 97-102 CrossRef
- Nathan, SS, Gorlick, R, Bukata, S, Chou, A, Morris, CD, Boland, PJ, Huvos, AG, Meyers, PA, Healey, JH (2006) Treatment algorithm for locally recurrent osteosarcoma based on local disease-free interval and the presence of lung metastasis. Cancer. 107: pp. 1607-1616 CrossRef
- Ottaviani, G, Jaffe, N (2009) The epidemiology of osteosarcoma. Cancer Treat Res. 152: pp. 3-13 CrossRef
- Pearle, AD, Kendoff, D, Musahl, V (2009) Perspectives on computer-assisted orthopaedic surgery: movement toward quantitative orthopaedic surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91: pp. 7-12 CrossRef
- Saifuddin, A (2002) The accuracy of imaging in the local staging of appendicular osteosarcoma. Skeletal Radiol. 31: pp. 191-201 CrossRef
- Shin, DS, Choong, PF, Chao, EY, Sim, FH (2000) Large tumor endoprostheses and extracortical bone-bridging: 28 patients followed 10–20 years. Acta Orthop Scand. 71: pp. 305-311 CrossRef
- So, TY, Lam, YL, Mak, KL (2010) Computer-assisted navigation in bone tumor surgery: seamless workflow model and evolution of technique. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 468: pp. 2985-2991 CrossRef
- Springfield, DS, Enneking, WF, Neff, JR, Makley, JT (1984) Principles of tumor management. Instr Course Lect. 33: pp. 1-25
- Springfield, DS, Schmidt, R, Graham-Pole, J, Marcus, RB, Spanier, SS, Enneking, WF (1988) Surgical treatment for osteosarcoma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 70: pp. 1124-1130
- Sugarbaker, PH, Malawer, MM (1992) Musculoskeletal Surgery for Cancer: Principles and Techniques. Thieme Medical Publishers, Stuttgart, Germany
- Wu, K, Webber, NP, Ward, RA, Jones, KB, Randall, RL (2011) Intraoperative navigation for minimally invasive resection of periarticular and pelvic tumors. Orthopedics. 34: pp. 372
- Yamanaka, Y, Kamogawa, J, Katagi, R, Kodama, K, Misaki, H, Kamada, K, Okuda, S, Morino, T, Ogata, T, Yamamoto, H (2010) 3-D MRI/CT fusion imaging of the lumbar spine. Skeletal Radiol. 39: pp. 285-288 CrossRef
- Surgical Technique: Computer-generated Custom Jigs Improve Accuracy of Wide Resection of Bone Tumors
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 6 , pp 2007-2016
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics, Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY, USA
- 2. Department of Biomechanics, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
- 4. Orthopaedic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial-Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10065, USA