New Radiographic Index for Evaluating Acetabular Version
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several qualitative radiographic signs have been described to assess acetabular retroversion. However, quantitative assessment of acetabular version would be useful for more rigorous research purposes and perhaps to diagnose and treat hip disorders.
We developed a new quantitative index for acetabular version (p/a ratio). We determined the average p/a, compared it with previous radiographic signs for acetabular retroversion, and evaluated its relationship with anatomic acetabular version.
We calculated the p/a ratio by measuring p (distance from acetabular articular surface to posterior wall) and a (distance from acetabular articular surface to anterior wall) on plain hip AP radiographs and dividing p by a. P and a were assessed on the perpendicular bisector of the line between the teardrop and the lateral edge of the acetabulum. Using 185 hip radiographs from patients with suspected idiopathic osteonecrosis, we measured p/a and compared it with previous qualitative signs for acetabular retroversion. Using 62 hip CT images from patients with no osteoarthritis, we measured the anatomic anteversion at the height of the central femoral head and investigated its relationship with p/a.
The average p/a was 2.05 in 185 hips, and most patients with a p/a greater than 2.05 had a negative qualitative retroversion sign. A correlation was observed between central anteversion and p/a (r = 0.84).
We believe this ratio can be considered a simple quantitative parameter to assess acetabular version using plain AP radiographs.
Level of Evidence
Level III, diagnostic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Anda S, Svennigsen S, Grontvedt T, Benum P. Pelvic inclination and spatial orientation of the acetabulum: a radiographic, computed tomographic and clinical investigation. Acta Radiol. 1990;31:389–394.
- Clohisy JC, Carlisle JC, Trousdale R, Kim YJ, Beaule PE, Morgan P, Steger-May K, Schoenecker PL, Millis M. Radiographic evaluation of the hip has limited reliability. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:666–675. CrossRef
- Ezoe M, Naito M, Inoue T. The prevalence of acetabular retroversion among various disorders of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:372–379. CrossRef
- Fujii M, Nakashima Y, Yamamoto T, Mawatari T, Motomura G, Matsushita A, Matsuda S, Jingushi S, Iwamoto Y. Acetabular retroversion in developmental dysplasia of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:895–903. CrossRef
- Ganz R, Parvizi J, Beck M, Leunig M, Nötzli H, Siebenrock KA. Femoroacetabular impingement: a cause for osteoarthritis of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;417:112–120.
- Giori NJ, Trousdale RT. Acetabular retroversion is associated with osteoarthritis of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;417:263–269.
- Hansen BJ, Harris MD, Anderson LA, Peters CL, Weiss JA, Anderson AE. Correlation between radiographic measures of acetabular morphology with 3D femoral head coverage in patients with acetabular retroversion. Acta Orthop. 2012;83:233–239. CrossRef
- Hapa O, Yüksel HY, Muratlı HH, Akşahin E, Gülçek S, Çelebi L, Biçimoğlu A. Axial plane coverage and torsion measurements in primary osteoarthritis of the hip with good frontal plane coverage and spherical femoral head. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2010;130:1305–1310. CrossRef
- Jamali AA, Mladenov K, Meyer DC, Martinez A, Beck M, Ganz R, Leunig M. Anteroposterior pelvic radiographs to assess acetabular retroversion: high validity of the “cross-over-sign.” J Orthop Res. 2007;25:758–765. CrossRef
- Kalberer F, Sierra RJ, Madan SS, Ganz R, Leunig M. Ischial spine projection into the pelvis: a new sign for acetabular retroversion. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:677–683. CrossRef
- Klaue K, Wallin A, Ganz R. CT evaluation of coverage and congruency of the hip prior to osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;232:15–25.
- Köhnlein W, Ganz R, Impellizzeri FM, Leunig M. Acetabular morphology: implications for joint-preserving surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:682–691. CrossRef
- Lewinnek GE, Lewis JL, Tarr R, Compere CL, Zimmerman JR. Dislocations after total hip-replacement arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978;60:217–220.
- Li PL, Ganz R. Morphologic features of congenital acetabular dysplasia: one in six is retroverted. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;416:245–253. CrossRef
- Mast JW, Brunner RL, Zebrack J. Recognizing acetabular version in the radiographic presentation of hip dysplasia. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;418:48–53. CrossRef
- Mast NH, Impellizzeri F, Keller S, Leunig M. Reliability and agreement of measures used in radiographic evaluation of the adult hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:188–199. CrossRef
- Murray DW. The definition and measurement of acetabular orientation. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993;75:228–232.
- Myers SR, Eijer H, Ganz R. Anterior femoroacetabular impingement after periacetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;363:93–99. CrossRef
- Nehme A, Trousdale R, Tannous Z, Maalouf G, Puget J, Telmont N. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: is acetabular anteversion a crucial factor? Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2009;95:511–519. CrossRef
- Nishihara S, Sugano N, Nishii T, Ohzono K, Yoshikawa H. Measurement of pelvic flexion angle using three-dimensional computed tomography. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;411:140–151. CrossRef
- Perreira AC, Hunter JC, Laird T, Jamali AA. Multilevel measurement of acetabular version using 3-D CT-generated models: implications for hip preservation surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:552–561. CrossRef
- Reynolds D, Lucas J, Klaue K. Retroversion of the acetabulum: a cause of hip pain. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:281–288. CrossRef
- Sharp IK. Acetabular dysplasia: the acetabular angle. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1961;43:268–272.
- Siebenrock KA, Kalbermatten DF, Ganz R. Effect of pelvic tilt on acetabular retroversion: a study of pelves from cadavers. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;407:241–248. CrossRef
- Siebenrock KA, Schoeniger R, Ganz R. Anterior femoro-acetabular impingement due to acetabular retroversion: treatment with periacetabular osteotomy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:278–286.
- Steppacher SD, Tannast M, Ganz R, Siebenrock KA. Mean 20-year follow up of Bernese periacetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1633–1644. CrossRef
- Sugano N, Kubo T, Takaoka K, Ohzono K, Hotokebuchi T, Matsumoto T, Igarashi H, Ninomiya S. Diagnostic criteria for non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head: a multicentre study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:590–595. CrossRef
- Tannast M, Mistry S, Steppacher SD, Reichenbach S, Langlotz F, Siebenrock KA, Zheng G. Radiographic analysis of femoroacetabular impingement with Hip2Norm: reliable and validated. J Orthop Res. 2008;26:1199–1205. CrossRef
- Tönnis G. Congenital Dysplasia and Dislocation of the Hip in Children and Adults. New York, NY: Springer; 1987. CrossRef
- Werner CM, Copeland CE, Ruckstuhl T, Stromberg J, Turen CH, Kalberer F, Zingg PO. Radiographic markers of acetabular retroversion: correlation of the cross-over sign, ischial spine sign and posterior wall sign. Acta Orthop Belg. 2010;76:166–173.
- Wiberg G. Studies on dysplastic acetabular and congenital subluxation of the hip joint: with special reference to the complication of osteoarthritis. Acta Chir Scand. 1939;83(suppl 58):7–83.
- New Radiographic Index for Evaluating Acetabular Version
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 5 , pp 1632-1638
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors