Smoking May Be a Harbinger of Early Failure With Ultraporous Metal Acetabular Reconstruction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Smoking is considered a risk factor for surgical complications in total hip arthroplasty (THA) and has been linked to a higher rate of aseptic loosening in uncemented acetabular components. Acetabular reconstruction with newer ultraporous metals in both complex primary and revision THA has increased survivorship but it is unclear whether smoking affects survival of these implants.
We reviewed our early experience with THA using ultraporous acetabular components to assess the incidence and etiology of early failure and examine if any preoperative variables, including smoking, related to failure.
We used ultraporous acetabular components in 498 patients (534 hips), beginning with one case each in 1999 and 2004, 17 in 2005, and the majority from 2006 through March 2010. There were 159 complex primary and 375 revision cases. Of these patients, 17% were smokers (averaging 35 pack-years), 31% previous smokers (averaging 29 pack-years), 41% nonsmokers, and 1% unknown. Failure modes possibly related to smoking were infection, aseptic loosening, or periacetabular fracture and unrelated were dislocation and implant breakage. Minimum followup was 1 month (average, 32 months; range, 1–78 months).
There were 34 cup failures (6%): 17 infections, 14 aseptic loosening, and one each liner breakage, dislocation, and periacetabular fracture. The failure rate (uncontrolled for potentially confounding variables) was 10% in both current (9 of 89) and prior smokers (17 of 167) and 3% in nonsmokers 8 of 271).
With ultraporous metal technology in complex primary and revision THA, smoking, both past and current, may be a risk factor for early failure.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- AbdelSalam H, Restrepo C, Tarity TD, Sangster W, Parvizi J. Predictors of intensive care unit admission after total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2012;27:720–725. CrossRef
- Argintar E, Triantafillou K, Delahay J, Wiesel B. The musculoskeletal effects of perioperative smoking. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012;20:359–363. CrossRef
- Baad-Hansen T, Kold S, Nielsen PT, Laursen MB, Christensen PH, Soballe K. Comparison of trabecular metal cups and titanium-fiber mesh cups in primary hip arthroplasty. Acta Orthop. 2011;82:155–160. CrossRef
- Ballester Alfaro JJ, Sueiro Fernández J. Trabecular metal buttress augment and the trabecular metal cup-cage construct in revision hip arthroplasty for severe acetabular bone loss and pelvic discontinuity. Hip Int. 2010;20(Suppl 7):119–127.
- Blumenfeld TJ, Bargar WL. Surgical technique: a cup-in-cup technique to restore offset in severe protrusio acetabular defects. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:435–441. CrossRef
- Bobyn JD, Poggie RA, Krygier JJ, Lewallen DG, Hanssen AD, Lewis RJ, Unger AS, O’Keefe TJ, Christie MJ, Nasser S, Wood JE, Stulberg SD, Tanzer M. Clinical validation of a structural porous tantalum biomaterial for adult reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86(Suppl 2):123–129.
- Bobyn JD, Stackpool GJ, Hacking SA, Tanzer M, Krygier JJ. Characteristics of bone ingrown and interface mechanics of a new porous tantalum biomaterial. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:907–914. CrossRef
- Bobyn JD, Toh K, Hacking SA, Tanzer M, Krygier JJ. Tissue response to porous tantalum acetabular cups: a canine model. J Arthroplasty. 1999;14:347–354. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Body measurements. Updated November 2, 2012. Available at: www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/bodymeas.htm. Accessed September 28, 2012.
- Chassanidis CG, Malizos KN, Varitimidis S, Samara S, Koromila T, Kollia P, Dailiana Z. Smoking affects mRNA expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in human periosteum. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012;94:1427–1432. CrossRef
- Davies JH, Laflamme GY, Delisle J, Fernandes J. Trabecular metal used for major bone loss in acetabular hip revision. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:1245–1250. CrossRef
- Del Gaizo DJ, Kancherla V, Sporer SM, Paprosky WG. Tantalum augments for Paprosky IIIA defects remain stable at midterm followup. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:395–401. CrossRef
- Fernández-Fairen M, Murcia A, Blanco A, Meroño A, Murcia A Jr, Ballester J. Revision of failed total hip arthroplasty acetabular cups to porous tantalum components: a five-year follow up study. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:865–872. CrossRef
- Fini M, Giavaresi G, Salamanna F, Veronesi F, Martini L, De Mattei M, Tschon M. Harmful lifestyles on orthopedic implantation surgery: a descriptive review on alcohol and tobacco use. J Bone Miner Metab. 2011;29:633–644. CrossRef
- Flecher X, Paprosky W, Grillo JC, Aubaniac JM, Argenson JN. Do tantalum components provide adequate primary fixation in all acetabular revisions? Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2010;96:235–241. CrossRef
- Flecher X, Sporer S, Paprosky W. Management of severe bone loss in acetabular revision using a trabecular metal shell. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:949–955. CrossRef
- Gross AE, Goodman SB. Rebuilding the skeleton: the intraoperative use of trabecular metal in revision total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20(Suppl 2):91–93. CrossRef
- Gruen TA, Poggie RA, Lewallen DG, Hanssen AD, Lewis RJ, O’Keefe TJ, Stulberg SD, Sutherland CJ. Radiographic evaluation of a monoblock acetabular component: a multicenter study with 2- to 5-year results. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20:369–378. CrossRef
- Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969;51:737–755.
- Hasart O, Perka C, Lehnigk R, Tohtz S. [Reconstruction of large acetabular defects using trabecular metal augments] [in German]. Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2010;22:268–277. CrossRef
- Hawn MT, Houston TK, Campagna EJ, Graham LA, Singh J, Bishop M, Henderson WG. The attributable risk of smoking on surgical complications. Ann Surg. 2011;254:914–920. CrossRef
- Hoogendoorn JM, Simmermacher RK, Schellekens PP, van der Werken C. [Adverse effects if smoking on healing of bones and soft tissues] [in German]. Unfallchirurg. 2002;105:76–81. CrossRef
- Jafari MS, Bender B, Coyle C, Parvizi J, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ. Do tantalum and titanium cups show similar results in revision hip arthroplasty? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:459–465. CrossRef
- Joglekar SB, Rose PS, Lewallen DG, Sim FH. Tantalum acetabular cups provide secure fixation in THA after pelvic irradiation at minimum 5-year followup. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:3041–3047. CrossRef
- Kim WY, Greidanus NV, Duncan CP, Masri BA, Garbuz DS. Porous tantalum uncemented acetabular shells in revision total hip replacement: two to four year clinical and radiographic results. Hip Int. 2008;18:17–22.
- Komarasamy B, Vadivelu R, Bruce A, Kershaw C, Davison J. Clinical and radiological outcome following total hip arthroplasty with an uncemented trabecular metal monoblock acetabular cup. Acta Orthop Belg. 2006;72:320–325.
- Kosashvili Y, Backstein D, Safir O, Lakstein D, Gross AE. Acetabular revision using an anti-protrusion (ilio-ischial) cage and trabecular metal acetabular component for severe acetabular bone loss associated with pelvic discontinuity. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91:870–876. CrossRef
- Kosashvili Y, Safir O, Backstein D, Lakstein D, Gross AE. Salvage of failed acetabular cages by nonbuttressed trabecular metal cups. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:466–471. CrossRef
- Kostakos AT, Macheras GA, Frangakis CE, Stafilas KS, Baltas D, Xenakis TA. Migration of the trabecular metal monoblock acetabular cup system. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:35–40. CrossRef
- Kwiatkowski TC, Hanley EN Jr, Ramp WK. Cigarette smoking and its orthopedic consequences. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 1996;25:590–597.
- Kwong FN, Harris MB. Recent developments in the biology of fracture repair. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008;16:619–625.
- Lachiewicz PF, Soileau ES. Tantalum components in difficult acetabular revisions. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:454–458. CrossRef
- Lakstein D, Backstein D, Safir O, Kosashvili Y, Gross AE. Trabecular metal cups for acetabular defects with 50% or less host bone contact. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:2318–2324. CrossRef
- Lavernia CJ, Sierra RJ, Gomez-Marin O. Smoking and joint replacement; resource consumption and short-term outcome. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;367:172–180. CrossRef
- Lindström D, Sadr Azodi O, Wladis A, Tønnesen H, Linder S, Nåsell H, Ponzer S, Adami J. Effects of a perioperative smoking cessation intervention on postoperative complications: a randomized trial. Ann Surg. 2008;248:739–745. CrossRef
- Lingaraj K, Teo YH, Bergman N. The management of severe acetabular bone defects in revision hip arthroplasty using modular porous metal components. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91:1555–1560. CrossRef
- Macheras G, Kateros K, Kostakos A, Koutsostathis S, Danomaras D, Papagelopoulos PJ. Eight- to ten-year clinical and radiographic outcome of a porous tantalum monoblock acetabular component. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24:705–709. CrossRef
- Macheras GA, Kateros K, Koutsostathis SD, Tsakotos G, Galanakos S, Papadakis SA. The trabecular metal monoblock acetabular component in patients with high congenital hip dislocation: a prospective study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92:624–628. CrossRef
- Macheras GA, Papagelopoulos PJ, Kateros K, Kostakos AT, Baltas D, Karachalios TS. Radiological evaluation of the metal-bone interface of a porous tantalum monoblock acetabular component. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:304–309. CrossRef
- Malizos KN, Bargiotas K, Papatheodorou L, Hantes M, Karachalios T. Survivorship of monoblock trabecular metal cups in primary THA: midterm results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:159–166. CrossRef
- Malkani AL, Price MR, Crawford CH 3rd, Baker DL. Acetabular component revision using a porous tantalum biomaterial: a case series. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24:1068–1073. CrossRef
- Markuszewski J, Wierusz-Kozłowska M, Woźniak W, Łapaj Ł, Kokoszka P. [Porous tantalum modular cups in revision hip arthroplasty] [in Polish]. Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2011;76:197–200.
- Meldrum RD, Wurtz LD, Feinberg JR, Capello WN. Does smoking affect implant survivorship in total hip arthroplasty? A preliminary retrospective case series. Iowa Orthop J. 2005;25:17–24.
- Moghaddam A, Weiss S, Wölfl CG, Schmeckenbecher K, Wentzensen A, Grützner PA, Zimmermann G. Cigarette smoking decreases TGF-b1 serum concentrations after long bone fracture. Injury. 2010;41:1020–1025. CrossRef
- Møller AM, Pederson T, Villebro N, Munksgaard A. Effect of smoking on early complications after elective orthopaedic surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003;85:178–181. CrossRef
- Møller AM, Villebro N, Pederson T, Tønnesen H. Effect of preoperative smoking intervention on postoperative complications: a randomized clinical trial. Lancet. 2002;359:114–117. CrossRef
- Myles PS, Iacono GA, Hunt JO, Fletcher H, Morris J, McIlroy D, Fritchsi L. Risk of respiratory complications and wound infection in patients undergoing ambulatory surgery: smokers versus nonsmokers. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:842–847. CrossRef
- Nakashima Y, Mashima N, Imai H, Mitsugi N, Taki N, Mochida Y, Owan I, Arakaki K, Yamamoto T, Mawatari T, Motomura G, Ohishi M, Doi T, Kanazawa M, Iwamoto Y. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of total hip arthroplasties using porous tantalum modular acetabular components: 5-year follow-up of clinical trial. Mod Rheumatol. 2012 Mar 7 [Epub ahead of print].
- Nehme A, Lewallen DG, Hanssen AD. Modular porous metal augments for treatment of severe acetabular bone loss during revision hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;429:201–208. CrossRef
- Paprosky WG, O’Rourke M, Sporer SM. The treatment of acetabular bone defects with an associated pelvic discontinuity. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;441:216–220. CrossRef
- Paprosky WG, Perona PG, Lawrence JM. Acetabular defect classification and surgical reconstruction in revision arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1994;9:33–44. CrossRef
- Pierannunzii L, Mambretti A, D’Imporzano M. Trabecular metal cup without augments for acetabular revision in case of extensive bone loss and low bone-prosthesis contact. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2011;24(Suppl 2):133–137.
- Porter SE, Hanley EN Jr. The musculoskeletal effects of smoking. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2001;9:9–17.
- Ramappa M, Bajwa A, Kulkarni A, McMurtry I, Port A. Early results of a new highly porous modular acetabular cup in revision arthroplasty. Hip Int. 2009;19:239–244.
- Rose PS, Halasy M, Trousdale RT, Hanssen AD, Sim FH, Berry DJ, Lewallen DG. Preliminary results of tantalum acetabular components for THA after pelvic radiation. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;453:195–198. CrossRef
- Sadr Azodi O, Bellocco R, Eriksson K, Adami J. The impact of tobacco use and body mass index on the length of stay in hospital and the risk of postoperative complications among patients undergoing total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:1316–1320. CrossRef
- Siegmeth A, Duncan CP, Masri BA, Kim WY, Garbuz DS. Modular tantalum augments for acetabular defects in revision hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:199–205. CrossRef
- Silverstein P. Smoking and wound healing. Am J Med. 1992;93:22S–24S. CrossRef
- Simon JP, Bellemans J. Clinical and radiological evaluation of modular trabecular metal acetabular cups. Short term results in 64 hips. Acta Orthop Belg. 2009;75:623–630.
- Singh JA. Smoking and outcomes after knee and hip arthroplasty: a systemic review. J Rheumatol. 2011;38:1824–1834. CrossRef
- Singh JA, Houston TK, Ponce BA, Maddox G, Bishop M, Richman J, Campagna EJ, Henderson WG, Hawn MT. Smoking as a risk factor for short-term outcomes following primary total hip and total knee replacements in veterans. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63:1365–1374. CrossRef
- Skyttä ET, Eskelinen A, Paavolainen PO, Remes VM. Early results of 827 trabecular metal revision shells in acetabular revision. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:342–345. CrossRef
- Sloan A, Hussain I, Maqsood M, Eremin O, El-Sheemy M. The effects of smoking on fracture healing. Surgeon. 2010;8:111–116. CrossRef
- Sørensen LT. Wound healing and infection in surgery. The clinical impact of smoking and smoking cessation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Surg. 2012;147:373–383. CrossRef
- Sørensen LT. Wound healing and infection in surgery: the pathophysiological impact of smoking, smoking cessation, and nicotine replacement therapy: a systematic review. Ann Surg. 2012;255:1069–1079. CrossRef
- Sorensen LT, Karlsmark T, Gottrup F. Abstinence from smoking reduces incisional wound infection: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg. 2003;238:1–5.
- Sporer SM, Paprosky WG. Acetabular revision using a trabecular metal acetabular component for severe acetabular bone loss associated with a pelvic discontinuity. J Arthroplasty. 2006;21(Suppl 2):87–90. CrossRef
- Sporer SM, Paprosky WG. The use of a trabecular metal acetabular component and trabecular metal augment for severe acetabular defects. J Arthroplasty. 2006;21(Suppl 2):83–86. CrossRef
- Sternheim A, Backstein D, Kuzyk PR, Goshua G, Berkovich Y, Safir O, Gross AE. Porous metal revision shells for management of contained acetabular bone defects at a mean follow-up of six years: a comparison between up to 50% bleeding host bone contact and more than 50% contact. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012;94:158–162. CrossRef
- Thomsen T, Tønnesen H, Møller AM. Effect of preoperative smoking cessation intervention on postoperative complications and smoking cessation. Br J Surg. 2009;96:451–461. CrossRef
- Tønnesen H, Nielsen PR, Lauritzen JB, Møller AM. Smoking and alcohol intervention before surgery: evidence for best practice. Br J Anaesth. 2009;102:297–306. CrossRef
- Unger AS, Lewis RJ, Gruen T. Evaluation of a porous tantalum uncemented acetabular cup in revision total hip arthroplasty: clinical and radiological results of 60 hips. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20:1002–1009. CrossRef
- Van Kleunen JP, Lee GC, Lementowski PW, Nelson CL, Garino JP. Acetabular revisions using trabecular metal cups and augments. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24(Suppl):64–68. CrossRef
- Weeden SH, Paprosky WG. Porous-ingrowth revision acetabular implants secured with peripheral screws. A minimum twelve-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:1266–1271. CrossRef
- Weeden SH, Schmidt RH. The use of tantalum porous metal implants for Paprosky 3A and 3B defects. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22(Suppl 2):151–155. CrossRef
- Xenakis TA, Macheras GA, Stafilas KS, Kostakos AT, Bargiotas K, Malizos KN. Multicentre use of a porous tantalum monoblock acetabular component. Int Orthop. 2009;33:911–916. CrossRef
- Smoking May Be a Harbinger of Early Failure With Ultraporous Metal Acetabular Reconstruction
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 2 , pp 486-497
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Joint Implant Surgeons, Inc, New Albany, OH, USA
- 2. Department of Orthopaedics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- 3. Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- 4. Mount Carmel Health System, New Albany, OH, USA