Find out how to access preview-only content
Date: 09 Nov 2012
Letter to the Editor: Is There Really No Benefit of Vertebroplasty for Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures? A Meta-analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
(Re: Shi MM, Cai XZ, Lin T, Wang W, Yan SG. Is there really no benefit of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral fractures? A meta-analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:2785–2799.)
Each author certifies that he or she, or a member of their immediate family, has no commercial associations (eg, consultancies, stock ownership, equity interest, patent/licensing arrangements, etc) that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article.
All ICMJE Conflict of Interest Forms for authors and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research editors and board members are on file with the publication and can be viewed on request.
- Alvarez L, Alcaraz M, Perez-Higueras A, Granizo JJ, de Miguel I, Rossi RE, Quinones D. Percutaneous vertebroplasty: functional improvement in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31:1113–1118.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: Clinical Practice Guideline on the Treatment of Symptomatic Osteoporotic Spinal Compression Fractures. Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, September 2010. Available at: http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/SCFguideline.asp. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Buchbinder, R, Osborne, RH, Ebeling, PR, Wark, JD, Mitchell, P, Wriedt, C, Graves, S, Staples, MP, Murphy, B (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 361: pp. 557-568 CrossRef
- Diamond, TH, Champion, B, Clark, WA (2003) Management of acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a nonrandomized trial comparing percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapy. Am J Med. 114: pp. 257-265 CrossRef
- Farrokhi, MR, Alibai, E, Maghami, Z (2011) Randomized controlled trial of percutaneous vertebroplasty versus optimal medical management for the relief of pain and disability in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. J Neurosurg Spine. 14: pp. 561-569
- Kallmes, DF, Comstock, BA, Heagerty, PJ, Turner, JA, Wilson, DJ, Diamond, TH, Edwards, R, Gray, LA, Stout, L, Owen, S, Hollingworth, W, Ghdoke, B, Annesley-Williams, DJ, Ralston, SH, Jarvik, JG (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med. 361: pp. 569-579 CrossRef
- Klazen, CA, Lohle, PN, Vries, J, Jansen, FH, Tielbeek, AV, Blonk, MC, Venmans, A, Rooij, WJ, Schoemaker, MC, Juttmann, JR, Lo, TH, Verhaar, HJ, Graaf, Y, Everdingen, KJ, Muller, AF, Elgersma, OE, Halkema, DR, Fransen, H, Janssens, X, Buskens, E, Mali, WP (2010) Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 376: pp. 1085-1092 CrossRef
- Rousing R, Andersen MO, Jespersen SM, Thomsen K, Lauritsen J. Percutaneous vertebroplasty compared to conservative treatment in patients with painful acute or subacute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: three-months follow-up in a clinical randomized study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:1349–1354.
- Shi MM, Cai XZ, Lin T, Wang W, Yan SG. Is there really no benefit of vertbroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral fractures? A meta-analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 June 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Voormolen, MH, Rooij, WJ, Sluzewski, M, Graaf, Y, Lampmann, LE, Lohle, PN, Juttmann, JR (2006) Pain response in the first trimester after percutaneous vertebroplasty in patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures with or without bone marrow edema. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 27: pp. 1579-1585
- Wang, HK, Lu, K, Liang, CL, Weng, HC, Wang, KW, Tsai, YD, Hsieh, CH, Liliang, PC (2010) Comparing clinical outcomes following percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapy for acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Pain Med. 11: pp. 1659-1665 CrossRef
- Letter to the Editor: Is There Really No Benefit of Vertebroplasty for Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures? A Meta-analysis
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 2 , pp 686-687
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors