Orthopaedic Case of the Month: A 51-year-old Man with a Painless Wrist Mass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
History and Physical Examination
A 51-year-old right-hand dominant man was evaluated for an enlarging, painless left wrist mass of 2 months duration. The patient reported no recent injury or antecedent trauma and denied any local neurologic symptoms, fevers, chills, or changes in weight.
Physical examination revealed a nontender, 3 × 2-cm firm, mobile mass overlying the volar aspect of the left distal ulna. There was no rash or other identifiable overlying skin changes, and the lesion did not transilluminate. The patient had normal strength and ROM, and sensation to light touch was intact in all three nerve distributions. There was a negative Tinel’s sign and the mass was nonpulsatile with a normal vascular examination.
AP and lateral views of the left wrist (Fig. 1) and MRI of the wrist (Fig. 2) were obtained.
- Bos GD, Pritchard DJ, Reiman HM, Dobyns JH, Ilstrup DM, Landon GC. Epithelioid sarcoma: an analysis of fifty-one cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1988;70:862–870.
- Brien EW, Terek RM, Geer RJ, Caldwell G, Brennan MF, Healey JH. Treatment of soft-tissue sarcomas of the hand. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:564–571.
- Chassaignac CME. Cancer de la gaines de tendons. Gaz Hop Civ Millit. 1852;47:185–186.
- Chung EB, Enzinger FM. Extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Cancer. 1987;60:1132–1142. CrossRef
- De Beuckeleer L, De Schepper A, De Belder F, Van Goethem J, Marques MC, Broeckx J, Verstraete K, Vermaut F. Magnetic resonance imaging of localized giant cell tumour of the tendon sheath (MRI of localized GCTTS). Eur Radiol. 1997;7:198–201. CrossRef
- Fox MG, Kransdorf MJ, Bancroft LW, Peterson JJ, Flemming DJ. MR imaging of fibroma of the tendon sheath. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180:1449–1453.
- Gholve PA, Hosalkar HS, Kreiger PA, Dormans JP. Giant cell tumor of tendon sheath: largest single series in children. J Pediatr Orthop. 2007;27:67–74. CrossRef
- Jaffe HL, Lichtenstein L, Sutro CJ. Pigmented villonodular synovitis, bursitis, and tenosynovitis. Arch Pathol. 1941;31:731–765.
- Jones BC, Sundaram M, Kransdorf MJ. Synovial sarcoma: MR imaging findings in 34 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1993;161:827–830.
- Karasick D, Karasick S. Giant cell tumor of tendon sheath: spectrum of radiologic findings. Skeletal Radiol. 1992;21:219–224.
- Kransdorf MJ, Jelinek JS, Moser RP Jr. Imaging of soft tissue tumors. Radiol Clin North Am. 1993;31:359–372.
- Lee JS, Fetsch JF, Wasdhal DA, Lee BP, Pritchard DJ, Nascimento AG. A review of 40 patients with extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Cancer. 1995;76:2253–2259. CrossRef
- Llauger J, Palmer J, Roson N, Cremades R, Bague S. Pigmented villonodular synovitis and giant cell tumors of the tendon sheath: radiologic and pathologic features. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999;172:1087–1091.
- Lo H, Kalisher L, Faix JD. Epithelioid sarcoma: radiologic and pathologic manifestations. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1977;128:1017–1020.
- Nakashima M, Uchida T, Tsukazaki T, Hamanaka Y, Fukuda E, Ito M, Sekine I. Expression of tyrosine kinase receptors Tie-1 and Tie-2 in giant cell tumor of the tendon sheath: a possible role in synovial proliferation. Pathol Res Pract. 2001;197:101–107. CrossRef
- Nguyen V, Choi J, Davis KW. Imaging of wrist masses. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2004;33:147–160. CrossRef
- Peh WC, Wong Y, Shek TW, Ip W. Giant cell tumour of the tendon sheath of the hand: a pictorial essay. Australas Radiol. 2001;45:274–280. CrossRef
- Phalen GS, McCormack LJ, Gazale WJ. Giant-cell tumor of tendon sheath (benign synovioma) in the hand: evaluation of 56 cases. Clin Orthop. 1959;15:140–151.
- Rao AS, Vigorita VJ. Pigmented villonodular synovitis (giant-cell tumor of the tendon sheath and synovial membrane): a review of eighty-one cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984;66:76–94.
- Ray RA, Morton CC, Lipinski KK, Corson JM, Fletcher JA. Cytogenetic evidence of clonality in a case of pigmented villonodular synovitis. Cancer. 1991;67:121–125. CrossRef
- Sherry CS, Harms SE. MR evaluation of giant cell tumors of the tendon sheath. Magn Reson Imaging. 1989;7:195–201. CrossRef
- Sherry JB, Anderson W. The natural history of pigmented villonodular synovitis of tendon sheaths. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1955;3:1005–1011.
- Sookur PA, Saifuddin A. Indeterminate soft-tissue tumors of the hand and wrist: a review based on a clinical series of 39 cases. Skeletal Radiol. 2011;40:977–989. CrossRef
- Steinberg BD, Gelberman RH, Mankin HJ, Rosenberg AE. Epithelioid sarcoma in the upper extremity. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992;74:28–35.
- Ushijima M, Hashimoto H, Tsuneyoshi M, Enjoji M. Giant cell tumor of the tendon sheath (nodular tenosynovitis): a study of 207 cases to compare the large joint group with the common digit group. Cancer. 1986;57:875–884. CrossRef
- Wan JM, Magarelli N, Peh WC, Guglielmi G, Shek TW. Imaging of giant cell tumour of the tendon sheath. Radiol Med. 2010;115:141–151. CrossRef
- Williams J, Hodari A, Janevski P, Siddiqui A. Recurrence of giant cell tumors in the hand: a prospective study. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35:451–456. CrossRef
- Orthopaedic Case of the Month: A 51-year-old Man with a Painless Wrist Mass
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 3 , pp 727-732
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/JMH, 335 S. Biscayne Blvd., #2003, Miami, FL, 33131, USA
- 2. Department of Radiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
- 3. Department of Pathology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA