Does Valgus Femoral Osteotomy Improve Femoral Head Roundness in Severe Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many surgeons perform a varus femoral or Salter pelvic osteotomy in patients with Legg-Calvé-Perthes (LCP) disease. However, more severely deformed femoral heads show greater congruency in adduction rather than in abduction. Therefore, a valgus-(flexion) femoral osteotomy (VFO) seems preferable rather than a varus femoral or Salter pelvic osteotomy.
We evaluated whether the VFO improves (1) femoral head roundness, (2) radiographic parameters reflecting hip subluxation, and (3) function.
We treated 25 patients (25 hips; 18 lateral pillar C and seven B) in the late fragmentation stage by VFO. Seven patients had additional pelvic procedures. VFO was performed at a mean age of 9.8 years. Three hips were Stulberg Class II, 20 were Class III, and two were Class IV. The following components of femoral head roundness were calculated from preoperative MRI and final radiographs: lateral and medial head roundness (LHR and MHR); anterior and posterior head roundness (AHR and PHR); central head height; and the ratios MHR/LHR and PHR/AHR. Continuity of Shenton’s line, medial gap ratio were evaluated. Function was determined with the Iowa hip score. Minimum followup was 3.1 years (mean, 6.3 years; range, 3.1–11.2 years).
All femoral head roundness measurements improved, with greatest improvement in the lateral and anterior head. Pillar C hips showed greater relative improvement than pillar B hips. The continuity of Shenton’s line improved and the mean medial gap ratio decreased. Mean Iowa hip score improved from 71 before surgery to 90 at the last followup.
VFO appears to help the deformed femoral head in the fragmentation stage to remodel to fit the acetabulum.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Axer A, Gershuni DH, Hendel D, Mirovski Y. Indications for femoral osteotomy in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980;150:78–87.
- Bankes MJ, Catterall A, Hashemi-Nejad A. Valgus extension osteotomy for “hinge abduction” in Perthes’ disease: results at maturity and factors influencing the radiological outcome. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000;82:548–554. CrossRef
- Bennett JT, Mazurek RT, Cash JD. Chiari’s osteotomy in the treatment of Perthes’ disease. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73:225–228.
- Catterall A. The natural history of Perthes’ disease. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1971;53:37–53.
- Catterall A. Adolescent hip pain after Perthes’ disease. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986;209:65–69.
- Clohisy JC, Schoenecker PL. Proximal femoral osteotomy. In: Callaghan JJ, Rosenberg AG, Rubash HE, eds. The Adult Hip. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:781–794.
- Choi IH, Yoo WJ, Cho TJ, Moon HJ. The role of valgus osteotomy in LCPD. J Pediatr Orthop. 2011;31(2 suppl):S217–S222. CrossRef
- Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA. Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg. 2004;240:205–213. CrossRef
- Friedlander JK, Weiner DS. Radiographic results of proximal femoral varus osteotomy in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2000;20:566–571. CrossRef
- Heikkinen E, Puranen J. Evaluation of femoral osteotomy in the treatment of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980;150:60–68.
- Herceg MB, Cutright MT, Weiner DS. Remodeling of the proximal femur after upper femoral varus osteotomy for the treatment of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004;24:654–657. CrossRef
- Herring JA, Kim HT, Browne R. Legg-Calve-Perthes disease. Part I: classification of radiographs with use of the modified lateral pillar and Stulberg classifications. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:2103–2120.
- Herring JA, Kim HT, Browne R. Legg-Calve-Perthes disease. Part II: prospective multicenter study of the effect of treatment on outcome. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:2121–2134.
- Herring JA, Neustadt JB, Williams JJ, Early JS, Browne RH. The lateral pillar classification of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 1992;12:143–150. CrossRef
- Hoikka V, Poussa M, Yrjönen T, Osterman K. Intertrochanteric varus osteotomy for Perthes’ disease: radiographic changes after 2-16-year follow-up of 126 hips. Acta Orthop Scand. 1991;62:549–553. CrossRef
- Joseph B, Nair NS, Narasimha Rao KL, Mulpuri K, Varghese G. Optimal timing for containment surgery for Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2003;23:601–606. CrossRef
- Joseph B, Varghese G, Mulpuri K, Narasimha Rao KL, Nair NS. Natural evolution of Perthes disease: a study of 610 children under 12 years of age at disease onset. J Pediatr Orthop. 2003;23:590–600. CrossRef
- Kim HT, Oh MH, Lee JS. MR imaging as a supplement to traditional decision-making in the treatment of LCP disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2011;31:246–253. CrossRef
- Kim HT, Wenger DR. “Functional retroversion” of the femoral head in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease and epiphyseal dysplasia: analysis of head-neck deformity and its effect on limb position using three-dimensional computed tomography. J Pediatr Orthop. 1997;17:240–246.
- Kim HT, Wenger DR. Surgical correction of “functional retroversion” and “functional coxa vara” in late Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease and epiphyseal dysplasia: correction of deformity defined by new imaging modalities. J Pediatr Orthop. 1997;17:247–254.
- Kitakoji T, Hattori T, Kitoh H, Katoh M, Ishiguro N. Which is a better method for Perthes’ disease: femoral varus or Salter osteotomy? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;430:163–170. CrossRef
- Kumar D, Bache CE, O’Hara JN. Interlocking triple pelvic osteotomy in severe Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2002;22:464–470.
- Lack W, Feldner-Busztin H, Ritschl P, Ramach W. The results of surgical treatment for Perthes’ disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 1989;9:197–204. CrossRef
- Larson CB. Rating scale for hip disabilities. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1963;31:85–93. CrossRef
- Moberg A, Hansson G, Kaniklides C. Results after femoral and innominate osteotomy in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;334:257–264. CrossRef
- Müller ME. Intertrochanteric osteotomy: indication, preoperative planning, technique. In: Schatzker J, ed. The Intertrochanteric Osteotomy. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 1984:25–66.
- Myers GJ, Mathur K, O’Hara J. Valgus osteotomy: a solution for late presentation of hinge abduction in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2008;28:169–172. CrossRef
- Nakamura S, Ninomiya S, Morimoto S, Moro T, Takatori Y. Combined intertrochanteric valgus and rotational acetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;384:176–188. CrossRef
- Noonan KJ, Price CT, Kupiszewski SJ, Pyevich M. Results of femoral varus osteotomy in children older than 9 years of age with Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 2001;21:198–204.
- Patil S, Sherlock D. Valgus osteotomy for hinge abduction in avascular necrosis. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2006;15:262–266. CrossRef
- Quain S, Catterall A. Hinge abduction of the hip: diagnosis and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1986;68:61–64.
- Raney EM, Grogan DP, Hurley ME, Ogden MJ. The role of proximal femoral valgus osteotomy in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. Orthopedics. 2002;25:513–517.
- Schneider R. Intertrochanteric osteotomy in osteoarthritis of the hip joint. In: Schatzker J, ed. The Intertrochanteric Osteotomy. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 1984:135–168. CrossRef
- Song HR, Lee SH, Na JB, Tymowsi GI, Cho SH, Koo KH. Relationship between lateral subluxation and widening of medial joint space in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 1998;18:637–642.
- Than P, Halmai V, Shaikh S, Kranicz J, Bellyei A. Long-term results of derotational femoral varus osteotomy in Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease: 26-year follow-up. Orthopedics. 2003;26:487–491.
- Vukasinovic Z, Slavkovic S, Milickovic S, Siqeca A. Combined Salter innominate osteotomy with femoral shortening versus other methods of treatment for Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2000;9:28–33. CrossRef
- Wenger DR, Pring ME, Hosalkar HS, Caltoum CB, Lalonde FD, Bastrom TP. Advanced containment methods for Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease: results of triple pelvic osteotomy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010;30:749–757. CrossRef
- Yoo WJ, Choi IH, Chung CY, Cho TJ, Kim HY. Valgus femoral osteotomy for hinge abduction in Perthes’ disease: decision-making and outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:726–730. CrossRef
- Does Valgus Femoral Osteotomy Improve Femoral Head Roundness in Severe Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 471, Issue 3 , pp 1021-1027
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pusan National University Hospital, 1 Ga-10, Ami-Dong, Seo-Gu, Pusan, 602-739, Korea
- 2. Department of Medicine, Graduate School, Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea