Report of Breakout Session: Intraarticular Work During Periacetabular Osteotomy—Simultaneous Arthrotomy or Hip Arthroscopy?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Arthrotomy: Where Are We Now?
Periacetabular osteotomy (PAO) has come to the forefront as the pelvic osteotomy of choice in North America and Europe for treating the dysmorphic acetabulum. PAO is currently indicated as the preferred treatment for patients with symptomatic hip dysplasia and has a role in treating patients with acetabular retroversion and protrusio. The acetabular deformity commonly is associated with labral pathology and deformities in the shape of the femoral head and head-neck junction. In 1999, Myers et al.  recommended open arthrotomy at the time of the PAO to treat the concomitant labral pathology and to perform an osteochondroplasty of the femoral head and neck junction. Simultaneous arthrotomy allows the surgeon to assess intraarticular abnormalities and hip motion and impingement after reorientation of the acetabulum.
The surgical technique used to perform the arthrotomy may be an important variable in relief of pain, restoration of function, and durability of
- Albers C, Steppacher S, Ganz R, Siebenrock KA, Tannast M. Optimal acetabular reorientation and offset correction improve the long term results after periacetabular osteotomy. 12th EFORT Congress, Abstract 2830, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2011. Available at: http://www.efort.org/downloads/EFORT%202011%20contents%20overview.pdf. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Matheney T, Kim YJ, Zurakowski D, Matero C, Millis M. Intermediate to long-term results following the Bernese periacetabular osteotomy and predictors of clinical outcome: surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92(suppl 1 pt 2):115–129. CrossRef
- Myers SR, Eijer H, Ganz R. Anterior femoroacetabular impingement after periacetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;363:93–99. CrossRef
- Peters CL, Pelt CE, Erickson JA. Prevalence and treatment of intraarticular pathology recognized at the time of periacetabular osteotomy for the dysplastic hip. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Ross JR, Zaltz I, Nepple JJ, Schoenecker PL, Clohisy JC. Arthroscopic disease classification and interventions as an adjunct in the treatment of acetabular dysplasia. Am J Sports Med. 2011;39(suppl):72S–78S. CrossRef
- Siebenrock KA, Schöll E, Lottenbach M, Ganz R. Bernese periacetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;363:9–20. CrossRef
- Troelsen A, Elmengaard B, Soballe K. Medium-term outcome of periacetabular osteotomy and predictors of conversion to total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91:2169–2179. CrossRef
- Report of Breakout Session: Intraarticular Work During Periacetabular Osteotomy—Simultaneous Arthrotomy or Hip Arthroscopy?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 470, Issue 12 , pp 3456-3458
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors