Better Function for Fusions Versus Above-the-knee Amputations for Recurrent Periprosthetic Knee Infection
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Treatment of chronic periprosthetic joint infections (PJIs) after TKA is limited to fusions, above-the-knee amputations (AKAs), revision TKA, and antibiotic suppression and is often based on the patient’s medical condition. However, when both fusion and AKA are options, it is important to compare these two procedures with regard to function.
Do patients receiving a knee fusion for PJI after TKA have better function compared to patients receiving an AKA?
We retrospectively reviewed patients who were eligible for either fusion or AKA after PJI TKA. Thirty-seven patients underwent a fusion for PJIs after TKA between 1999 and 2010. Nine patients died postoperatively and eight patients were lost to followup, leaving 20 patients. Patients completed a specialized questionnaire about their fusion, and functional capability was assessed by the SF-12. We compared fusions to a previously published group of six patients who underwent AKA for recurrent PJI after TKA.
For patients with fusion, community ambulators increased from five to 10 and nonambulators decreased from three to one. For patients with AKA, nonambulatory patients increased from zero to two, and community ambulators decreased from four to one. The SF-12 physical component summary measurements were higher for fusions (51) than for AKAs (26). The mental component summary was also higher in fusions (60) than in AKAs (44). Seventy percent of patients indicated they would undergo a fusion again instead of undergoing an amputation if they were presented with both options after undergoing their operation.
Patients receiving knee fusions for treating recurrent PJIs after TKA have better function and ambulatory status compared to patients receiving AKA.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See the Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Aksnes LH, Bauer HC, Jebsen NL, Folleras G, Allert C, Haugen GS, Hall KS. Limb-sparing surgery preserves more function than amputation: a Scandinavian sarcoma group study of 118 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90:786–794. CrossRef
- Arroyo JS, Garvin KL, Neff JR. Arthrodesis of the knee with a modular titanium intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:26–35. CrossRef
- Bargiotas K, Wohlrab D, Sewecke JJ, Lavinge G, Demeo PJ, Sotereanos NG. Arthrodesis of the knee with a long intramedullary nail following the failure of a total knee arthroplasty as the result of infection. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:553–558. CrossRef
- Bargiotas K, Wohlrab D, Sewecke JJ, Lavinge G, DeMeo PJ, Sotereanos NG. Arthrodesis of the knee with a long intramedullary nail following the failure of a total knee arthroplasty as the result of infection: surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(suppl 2 pt 1):103–110. CrossRef
- Bauer T, Piriou P, Lhotellier L, Leclerc P, Mamoudy P, Lortat-Jacob A. [Results of reimplantation for infected total knee arthroplasty: 107 cases] [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2006;92:692–700. CrossRef
- Benson ER, Resine ST, Lewis CG. Functional outcome of arthrodesis for failed total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 1998;21:875–879.
- Bosse MJ, MacKenzie EJ, Kellam JF, Burgess AR, Webb LX, Swiontkowski MF, Sanders RW, Jones AL, McAndrew MP, Patterson BM, McCarthy ML, Cyril JK. A prospective evaluation of the clinical utility of the lower-extremity injury-severity scores. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:3–14. CrossRef
- Bosse MJ, MacKenzie EJ, Kellam JF, Burgess AR, Webb LX, Swiontkowski MF, Sanders RW, Jones AL, McAndrew MP, Patterson BM, McCarthy ML, Travison TG, Castillo RC. An analysis of outcomes of reconstruction or amputation after leg-threatening injuries. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1924–1931. CrossRef
- Buechel FF, Femino FP, D’Alessio J. Primary exchange revision arthroplasty for infected total knee replacement: a long-term study. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2004;33:190–198; discussion 198.
- Conway JD, Mont MA, Bezwada HP. Arthrodesis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:835–848.
- David R, Shtarker H, Horesh Z, Tsur A, Soudry M. Arthrodesis with the Ilizarov device after failed knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2001;24:33–36.
- Davis AM, Devlin M, Griffin AM, Wunder JS, Bell RS. Functional outcome in amputation versus limb sparing of patients with lower extremity sarcoma: a matched case-control study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80:615–618. CrossRef
- Domingo LJ, Caballero MJ, Cuenca J, Herrera A, Sola A, Herrero L. Knee arthrodesis with the Wichita fusion nail. Int Orthop. 2004;28:25–27. CrossRef
- Donley BG, Matthews LS, Kaufer H. Arthrodesis of the knee with an intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991;73:907–913.
- Enneking WF, Shirley PD. Resection-arthrodesis for malignant and potentially malignant lesions about the knee using an intramedullary rod and local bone grafts. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977;59:223–236.
- Fairhurst MJ. The function of below-knee amputee versus the patient with salvaged Grade III tibial fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;301:227–232.
- Fedorka CJ, Chen AF, McGarry WM, Parvizi J, Klatt BA. Functional ability after above-the-knee amputation for infected total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:1024–1032. CrossRef
- Georgiadis GM, Behrens FF, Joyce MJ, Earle AS, Simmons AL. Open tibial fractures with severe soft-tissue loss: limb salvage compared with below-the-knee amputation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75:1431–1441.
- Ginsberg JP, Rai SN, Carlson CA, Meadows AT, Hinds PS, Spearing EM, Zhang L, Callaway L, Neel MD, Rao BN, Marchese VG. A comparative analysis of functional outcomes in adolescents and young adults with lower-extremity bone sarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2007;49:964–969. CrossRef
- Goksan SB, Freeman MA. One-stage reimplantation for infected total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992;74:78–82.
- Goldman RT, Scuderi GR, Insall JN. 2-stage reimplantation for infected total knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;331:118–124. CrossRef
- Hak DJ, Lieberman JR, Finerman GA. Single plane and biplane external fixators for knee arthrodesis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995;316:134–144.
- Haleem AA, Berry DJ, Hanssen AD. Mid-term to long-term followup of two-stage reimplantation for infected total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;428:35–39. CrossRef
- Hanssen AD, Trousdale RT, Osmon DR. Patient outcome with reinfection following reimplantation for the infected total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995;321:55–67.
- Harris IE, Leff AR, Gitelis S, Simon MA. Function after amputation, arthrodesis, or arthroplasty for tumors about the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:1477–1485.
- Hirakawa K, Stulberg BN, Wilde AH, Bauer TW, Secic M. Results of 2-stage reimplantation for infected total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1998;13:22–28. CrossRef
- Hopyan S, Tan JW, Graham HK, Torode IP. Function and upright time following limb salvage, amputation, and rotationplasty for pediatric sarcoma of bone. J Pediatr Orthop. 2006;26:405–408. CrossRef
- Incavo SJ, Lilly JW, Bartlett CS, Churchill DL. Arthrodesis of the knee: experience with intramedullary nailing. J Arthroplasty. 2000;15:871–876. CrossRef
- Irrgang JJ, Snyder-Mackler L, Wainner RS, Fu FH, Harner CD. Development of a patient-reported measure of function of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:1132–1145.
- Isiklar ZU, Landon GC, Tullos HS. Amputation after failed total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;299:173–178.
- Jenkinson C, Layte R. Development and testing of the UK SF-12 (short form health survey). J Health Serv Res Policy. 1997;2:14–18.
- Jenkinson C, Layte R, Jenkinson D, Lawrence K, Petersen S, Paice C, Stradling J. A shorter form health survey: can the SF-12 replicate results from the SF-36 in longitudinal studies? J Public Health Med. 1997;19:179–186. CrossRef
- Kilgus DJ, Howe DJ, Strang A. Results of periprosthetic hip and knee infections caused by resistant bacteria. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;404:116–124. CrossRef
- Klinger HM, Spahn G, Schultz W, Baums MH. Arthrodesis of the knee after failed infected total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006;14:447–453. CrossRef
- Kuo AC, Meehan JP, Lee M. Knee fusion using dual platings with the locking compression plate. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20:772–776. CrossRef
- Lange RH. Limb reconstruction versus amputation decision making in massive lower extremity trauma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989;243:92–99.
- MacKenzie EJ, Bosse MJ, Kellam JF, Burgess AR, Webb LX, Swiontkowski MF, Sanders R, Jones AL, McAndrew MP, Patterson B, McCarthy ML, Rohde CA. Factors influencing the decision to amputate or reconstruct after high-energy lower extremity trauma. J Trauma. 2002;52:641–649. CrossRef
- Maheshwari AV, Gioe TJ, Kalore NV, Cheng EY. Reinfection after prior staged reimplantation for septic total knee arthroplasty: is salvage still possible? J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:92–97. CrossRef
- Mittal Y, Fehring TK, Hanssen A, Marculescu C, Odum SM, Osmon D. Two-stage reimplantation for periprosthetic knee infection involving resistant organisms. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:1227–1231. CrossRef
- Mont MA, Waldman BJ, Hungerford DS. Evaluation of preoperative cultures before second-stage reimplantation of a total knee prosthesis complicated by infection: a comparison-group study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000;82:1552–1557.
- Pring DJ, Marks L, Angel JC. Mobility after amputation for failed knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1988;70:770–771.
- Puranen J, Kortelainen P, Jalovaara P. Arthrodesis of the knee with intramedullary nail fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:433–442.
- Rand JA, Bryan RS, Chao EY. Failed total knee arthroplasty treated by arthrodesis of the knee using the Ace-Fischer apparatus. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987;69:39–45.
- Rao N, Crossett LS, Sinha RK, Le Frock JL. Long-term suppression of infection in total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;414:55–60. CrossRef
- Renard AJ, Veth RP, Schreuder HW, van Loon CJ, Koops HS, van Horn JR. Function and complications after ablative and limb-salvage therapy in lower extremity sarcoma of bone. J Surg Oncol. 2000;73:198–205. CrossRef
- Rougraff BT, Simon MA, Kneisl JS, Greenberg DB, Mankin HJ. Limb salvage compared with amputation for osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur: a long-term oncological, functional, and quality-of-life study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994;76:649–656.
- Rud B, Jensen UH. Function after arthrodesis of the knee. Acta Orthop Scand. 1985;56:337–339. CrossRef
- Saklad M. Grading of patients for surgical procedures. Anesthesiology. 1941;2:281–284. CrossRef
- Salgado CD, Dash S, Cantey JR, Marculescu CE. Higher risk of failure of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus prosthetic joint infections. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;461:48–53.
- Scott SJ, Hennessey MS, Parkinson RW, Molloy AP. Long-term outcome of the “Beefburger” procedure in patients unsuitable for two-stage revision following infected total knee replacement. Knee. 2001;8:281–286. CrossRef
- Sierra RJ, Trousdale RT, Pagnano MW. Above-the-knee amputation after a total knee replacement: prevalence, etiology, and functional outcome. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:1000–1004.
- Thornhill TS, Dalziel RW, Sledge CB. Alternatives to arthrodesis for the failed total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1982;170:131–140.
- Ulstrup AK, Folkmar K, Broeng L. Knee arthrodesis with the Sheffield external ring fixator: fusion in 6 of 10 consecutive patients. Acta Orthop. 2007;78:371–376. CrossRef
- Waldman BJ, Mont MA, Payman KR, Freiberg AA, Windsor RE, Sculco TP, Hungerford DS. Infected total knee arthroplasty treated with arthrodesis using a modular nail. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;367:230–237. CrossRef
- Ware J, Kosinski M, Keller S. SF-12: an even shorter health survey. Medical Outcomes Study. Med Care. 1995;33:AS264–AS279. CrossRef
- Ware J, Kosinski M, Keller S. SF-12: How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center; 1995.
- Wasielewski RC, Barden RM, Rosenberg AG. Results of different surgical procedures on total knee arthroplasty infections. J Arthroplasty. 1996;11:931–938. CrossRef
- Waters RL, Perry J, Antonelli D, Hislop H. Energy cost of walking of amputees: the influence of level of amputation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976;58:42–46.
- Windsor RE, Insall JN, Urs WK, Miller DV, Brause BD. Two-stage reimplantation for the salvage of total knee arthroplasty complicated by infection: further follow-up and refinement of indications. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:272–278.
- Better Function for Fusions Versus Above-the-knee Amputations for Recurrent Periprosthetic Knee Infection
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 470, Issue 10 , pp 2737-2745
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, UPMC Shadyside Medical Building, 5230 Centre Avenue, Suite 415, Pittsburgh, PA, 15232, USA
- 2. University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA, USA