Surgical Treatment of Neer Group VI Proximal Humeral Fractures: Retrospective Comparison of PHILOS® and Hemiarthroplasty
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Neer Group VI proximal humeral fractures often are related to persistent disability despite surgical treatment. We retrospectively compared the outcome after open reduction and internal fixation with the PHILOS® plate or primary hemiarthroplasty in patients with Neer Group VI fractures focusing on complications, shoulder function, health-related quality of life (SF-36), and potential risk factors for complications.
The aim of this study was to compare the PHILOS® plate with primary hemiarthroplasty for treatment of specific Neer Group VI fractures. We asked whether (1) both procedures have comparable clinical and radiologic complication rates; (2) one procedure is superior in terms of revision rate; (3) objective and subjective shoulder function (Constant-Murley score) and health-related quality of life (SF-36) were comparable in both groups at final followup; and (4) there are clinical or radiologic predictors for complications in any group?
Between 2002 and 2007, 44 consecutive patients (mean, 75.2 years) with a Neer Group VI proximal humeral fracture were included. Twenty-two patients treated with a PHILOS® plate were compared with 22 patients treated by primary hemiarthroplasty. Both groups were similar in all criteria. At minimum followup of 12 months (mean, 30 months; range, 12-83 months), radiographic control, Constant-Murley score, and SF-36 were performed.
Fourteen patients with complications (63.6%) were counted in the PHILOS® plate group, of which 10 (45.4%) needed revision surgery, mostly as a result of avascular necrosis and screw cut-outs. In the primary hemiarthroplasty group, only one patient needed revision surgery (4.5%). Smoking and steroid therapy were substantially associated with complications in the PHILOS® plate group. There were no differences between the two groups regarding Constant-Murley or SF-36 scores.
Angular stable open reduction and internal fixation was associated with high complication and revision rates, especially in patients who smoked and those receiving steroid therapy. Primary hemiarthroplasty provides limited function, which had little influence on the quality of life in this elderly collective. There are predictive factors for complications after the treatment of Neer Group VI proximal humeral fractures with the PHILOS® plate. Primary hemiarthroplasty remains a good option, especially when treating elderly patients.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Adams CI, Keating JF, Court-Brown CM. Cigarette smoking and open tibial fractures. Injury. 2001;32:61–65. CrossRef
- Agudelo J, Schurmann M, Stahel P, Helwig P, Morgan SJ, Zechel W, Bahrs C, Parekh A, Ziran B, Williams A, Smith W. Analysis of efficacy and failure in proximal humerus fractures treated with locking plates. J Orthop Trauma. 2007;21:676–681. CrossRef
- Antuna SA, Sperling JW, Cofield RH. Shoulder hemiarthroplasty for acute fractures of the proximal humerus: a minimum five-year follow-up. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008;17:202–209. CrossRef
- Bengner U, Johnell O, Redlund-Johnell I. Changes in the incidence of fracture of the upper end of the humerus during a 30-year period: a study of 2125 fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;231:179–182.
- Boileau P, Krishnan SG, Tinsi L, Walch G, Coste JS, Mole D. Tuberosity malposition and migration: reasons for poor outcomes after hemiarthroplasty for displaced fractures of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11:401–412. CrossRef
- Constant CR, Murley AH. A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987 Jan;(214):160–164.
- Dietrich M, Meier C, Lattmann T, Zingg U, Gruninger P, Platz A. [Complex fracture of the proximal humerus in the elderly: locking plate osteosynthesis vs hemiarthroplasty][in German]. Chirurg. 2008;79:231–240. CrossRef
- Gerber C, Schneeberger AG, Vinh TS. The arterial vascularization of the humeral head: an anatomical study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:1486–1494.
- Handschin AE, Cardell M, Contaldo C, Trentz O, Wanner GA. Functional results of angular-stable plate fixation in displaced proximal humeral fractures. Injury. 2008;39:306–313. CrossRef
- Helmy N, Hintermann B. New trends in the treatment of proximal humerus fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;442:100–108. CrossRef
- Helwig P, Bahrs C, Epple B, Oehm J, Eingartner C, Weise K. Does fixed-angle plate osteosynthesis solve the problems of a fractured proximal humerus? A prospective series of 87 patients. Acta Orthop. 2009;80:92–96. CrossRef
- Hente R, Kampshoff J, Kinner B, Fuchtmeier B, Nerlich M. [Treatment of dislocated 3- and 4-part fractures of the proximal humerus with an angle-stabilizing fixation plate][in German]. Unfallchirurg. 2004;107:769–782. CrossRef
- Hertel R. Fractures of the proximal humerus in osteoporotic bone. Osteoporos Int. 2005;16(suppl 2):S65–72. CrossRef
- Hertel R, Hempfing A, Stiehler M, Leunig M. Predictors of humeral head ischemia after intracapsular fracture of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2004;13:427–433. CrossRef
- Hertel R, Knothe U, Ballmer FT. Geometry of the proximal humerus and implications for prosthetic design. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11:331–338. CrossRef
- Hessmann MH, Sternstein W, Krummenauer F, Hofmann A, Rommens PM. [Internal fixation of proximal humerus fractures][in German]. Chirurg. 2005;76:167–174. CrossRef
- Kettler M, Biberthaler P, Braunstein V, Zeiler C, Kroetz M, Mutschler W. [Treatment of proximal humeral fractures with the PHILOS angular stable plate: presentation of 225 cases of dislocated fractures][in German]. Unfallchirurg. 2006;109:1032–1040. CrossRef
- Kjaersgaard-Andersen P, Frich LH, Sojbjerg JO, Sneppen O. Heterotopic bone formation following total shoulder arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1989;4:99–104. CrossRef
- Kontakis G, Koutras C, Tosounidis T, Giannoudis P. Early management of proximal humeral fractures with hemiarthroplasty: a systematic review. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90:1407–1413. CrossRef
- Koukakis A, Apostolou CD, Taneja T, Korres DS, Amini A. Fixation of proximal humerus fractures using the PHILOS plate: early experience. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;442:115–120. CrossRef
- Kralinger F, Schwaiger R, Wambacher M, Farrell E, Menth-Chiari W, Lajtai G, Hubner C, Resch H. Outcome after primary hemiarthroplasty for fracture of the head of the humerus: a retrospective multicentre study of 167 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:217–219. CrossRef
- Mighell MA, Kolm GP, Collinge CA, Frankle MA. Outcomes of hemiarthroplasty for fractures of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2003;12:569–577. CrossRef
- Moonot P, Ashwood N, Hamlet M. Early results for treatment of three- and four-part fractures of the proximal humerus using the PHILOS plate system. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:1206–1209. CrossRef
- Neer CS 2nd. Displaced proximal humeral fractures: I. Classification and evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970;52:1077–1089.
- Neer CS 2nd. Displaced proximal humeral fractures: II. Treatment of three-part and four-part displacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970;52:1090–1103.
- Roos LL, Stranc L, James RC, Li J. Complications, comorbidities, and mortality: improving classification and prediction. Health Serv Res. 1997;32:229–238; discussion 239–242.
- Solberg BD, Moon CN, Franco DP, Paiement GD. Surgical treatment of three and four-part proximal humeral fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91:1689–1697. CrossRef
- Sudkamp N, Bayer J, Hepp P, Voigt C, Oestern H, Kaab M, Luo C, Plecko M, Wendt K, Kostler W, Konrad G. Open reduction and internal fixation of proximal humeral fractures with use of the locking proximal humerus plate: results of a prospective, multicenter, observational study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91:1320–1328. CrossRef
- Tavakkolizadeh A, Ghassemi A, Colegate-Stone T, Latif A, Sinha J. Gender-specific Constant score correction for age. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009;17:529–533. CrossRef
- Wanner GA, Wanner-Schmid E, Romero J, Hersche O, von Smekal A, Trentz O, Ertel W. Internal fixation of displaced proximal humeral fractures with two one-third tubular plates. J Trauma. 2003;54:536–544. CrossRef
- Ware JE Jr. SF-36 Health Survey Manual and Interpretation Guide. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Centre; 1993.
- Surgical Treatment of Neer Group VI Proximal Humeral Fractures: Retrospective Comparison of PHILOS® and Hemiarthroplasty
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 470, Issue 7 , pp 2035-2042
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Surgery, Trauma Division, Hospital Zurich-Triemli, Birmensdorferstrasse 497, CH-8063, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2. Department of Orthopedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland