Periprosthetic Bone Remodeling after 12 Years Differs in Cemented and Uncemented Hip Arthroplasties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Different patterns of stress shielding may lead to differences in periprosthetic bone preservation around cemented and uncemented hips in the long term?
The purpose of this study is to compare the difference in periprosthetic bone density between cemented Charnley total hip and uncemented hydroxyapatite-coated Furlong® THAs at a minimum followup of 12 years (mean, 16 years; range, 12–24 years).
We studied a cohort of 17 patients who had bilateral THAs with a cemented Charnley THA on one side and an uncemented Furlong® hydroxyapatite-coated THA on the other side. At a minimum followup of 12 years, Harris and Oxford hip scores were used to determine the function, and dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry was used to quantify bone mineral density adjacent to the prosthesis. The results of the dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry scan for cemented and uncemented hips were analyzed using paired-sample two-tailed t-tests. To compare the Harris hip scores, a nonparametric Wilcoxon test was used.
Bone mineral density was higher on the uncemented Furlong® side in Gruen Zones 2, 3, 5, and 6 of the proximal femur and DeLee and Charnley Zone 1 of the acetabulum. In all other zones, there was no difference. Comparison of Harris and Oxford hip scores showed no differences between the two hips.
Bone density is better preserved around the uncemented hydroxyapatite-coated Furlong® stem compared with the Charnley cemented stem.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Aldinger PR, Sabo D, Pritsch M, Thomsen M, Mau H, Ewerbeck V, Breusch SJ. Pattern of periprosthetic bone remodeling around stable uncemented tapered hip stems: a prospective 84-month follow-up study and a median 156-month cross-sectional study with DXA. Calcif Tissue Int. 2003;73:115–121. CrossRef
- Al Hertani W, Waddell JP, Anderson GI. The effect of partial vs. full hydroxyapatite coating on periprosthetic bone quality around the canine madreporic femoral stem. J Biomed Mater Res. 2000;53:518–524. CrossRef
- Ang KC, Das De S, Goh JC, Low SL, Bose K. Periprosthetic bone remodelling after cementless total hipreplacement: a prospective comparison of two different implant designs. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997;79:675–679. CrossRef
- Cohen B, Rushton N. Accuracy of DEXA measurement of bone mineral density after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995;77:479–483.
- Cohen B, Rushton N. Bone remodelling in the proximal femur after Charnley total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995;77:815–819.
- DeLee JG, Charnley J. Radiological demarcation of cemented sockets in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;121:20–32.
- Engh CA, Bobyn JD, Glassman AH. Porous-coated hip replacement: the factors governing bone ingrowth, stress shielding, and clinical results. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1987;69:45–55.
- Giannikas KA, Din R, Sadiq S, Dunningham TH. Medium-term results of the ABG total hip arthroplasty in young patients. J Arthroplasty. 2002;17:184–188. CrossRef
- Gruen TA, McNeice GM, Amstutz HC. “Modes of failure” of cemented stem-type femoral components: a radiographic analysis of loosening. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979;141:17–27.
- Kilgus DJ, Shimaoka EE, Tipton JS, Eberle RW. Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measurement of bone mineral density around porous-coated cementless femoral implants: methods and preliminary results. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993;75:279–287.
- Kobayashi S, Eftekhar NS, Terayama K. Long term bone remodeling around the Charnley femoral prostheses. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;326:162–173. CrossRef
- Korovessis P, Piperos G, Michael A. Periprosthetic bone mineral density after Mueller and Zweymueller total hip arthroplasties. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;309:214–221.
- Kroger H, Venesmaa P, Jurvelin J, Miettinen H, Suomalainen O, Alhava E. Bone density at the proximal femur after total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998;352:66–74.
- Laursen MB, Nielsen PT, Soballe K. DXA scanning of acetabulum in patients with cementless total hip arthroplasty. J Clin Densitom. 2005;8:476–483. CrossRef
- Lekamwasam S, Lenora RS. Effect of leg rotation on hip bone mineral density measurements. J Clin Densitom. 2003;6:331–336. CrossRef
- Maistrelli GL, Fornasier V, Binnington A, McKenzie K, Sessa V, Harrington I. Effect of stem modulus in a total hip arthroplasty model. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73:43–46.
- McCarthy CK, Steinberg GG, Agren M, Leahey D, Wyman E, Baran DT. Quantifying bone loss from the proximal femur after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73:774–778.
- Park YS, Lee JY, Yun SH, Jung MW, Oh I. Comparison of hydroxyapatite- and porous-coated stems in total hip replacement. Acta Orthop Scand. 2003;74:259–263. CrossRef
- Rahmy AI, Gosens T, Blake GM, Tonino A, Fogelman I. Periprosthetic bone remodelling of two types of uncemented femoral implant with proximal hydroxyapatite coating: a 3-year follow-up study addressing the influence of prosthesis design and preoperative bone density on periprosthetic bone loss. Osteoporos Int. 2004;15:281–289. CrossRef
- Sabatier JP, Guaydier-Souquieres G. Noninvasive methods of bone-mass measurement. Clin Rheumatol. 1989;8(suppl 2):41–45. CrossRef
- Sharkey PF, Barrack RL, Tvedten DE. Five-year clinical and radiographic follow-up of the uncemented long-term stable fixation total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1998;13:546–551. CrossRef
- Shetty AA, Slack R, Tindall A, James KD, Rand C. Results of a hydroxyapatite-coated (Furlong) total hip replacement: a 13- to 15-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87:1050–1054. CrossRef
- Shetty NR, Hamer AJ, Kerry RM, Stockley I, Eastell R, Wilkinson JM. Bone remodelling around a cemented polyethylene cup: a longitudinal densitometry study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:455–459.
- Theis JC, Beadel G. Changes in proximal femoral bone mineral density around a hydroxyapatite-coated hip joint arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2003;11:48–52.
- Turner AW, Gillies RM, Sekel R, Morris P, Bruce W, Walsh WR. Computational bone remodelling simulations and comparisons with DEXA results. J Orthop Res. 2005;23:705–712. CrossRef
- Venesmaa PK, Kröger HP, Miettinen HJ, Jurvelin JS, Suomalainen OT, Alhava EM. Monitoring of periprosthetic BMD after uncemented total hip arthroplasty with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry: a 3-year follow-up study. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:1056–1061. CrossRef
- Wahner H. Technical aspects and clinical interpretation of bone mineral measurements. Public Health Rep. 1989;104(suppl):27–30.
- Periprosthetic Bone Remodeling after 12 Years Differs in Cemented and Uncemented Hip Arthroplasties
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 470, Issue 5 , pp 1431-1435
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Trauma and Orthopaedics, Scarborough General Hospital, Scarborough, West Yorkshire, UK
- 2. 15, Cresswell Close, Callands, Warrington, North Cheshire, WA5 9UA, UK