New Definition for Periprosthetic Joint Infection: From the Workgroup of the Musculoskeletal Infection Society
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Each author certifies that he or she, or a member of their immediate family, has no commercial associations (eg, consultancies, stock ownership, equity interest, patent/licensing arrangements, etc) that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article.
All ICMJE Conflict of Interest Forms for authors and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research editors and board members are on file with the publication and can be viewed on request.
- Bedair H, Ting N, Jacovides C, Saxena A, Moric M, Parvizi J, Della Valle CJ. The Mark Coventry Award. Diagnosis of early postoperative TKA infection using synovial fluid analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469:34–40. CrossRef
- Berbari E, Mabry T, Tsaras G, Spangehl M, Erwin PJ, Murad MH, Steckelberg J, Osmon D. Inflammatory blood laboratory levels as markers of prosthetic joint infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:2102–2109. CrossRef
- Bilgen O, Atici T, Durak K, Karaeminoğullari, Bilgen MS. C-reactive protein values and erythrocyte sedimentation rates after total hip and total knee arthroplasty. J Int Med Res. 2001;29:7–12.
- Deirmengian C, Hallab N, Tarabishy A, Della Valle C, Jacobs JJ, Lonner J, Booth RE. Synovial fluid biomarkers for periprosthetic infection. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:2017–2023. CrossRef
- Della Valle CJ, Sporer SM, Jacobs JJ, Berger RA, Rosenberg AG, Paprosky WG. Preoperative testing for sepsis before revision total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22(6 Suppl 2):90–93. CrossRef
- Di Cesare PE, Chang E, Preston CF, Liu CJ. Serum interleukin-6 as a marker of periprosthetic infection following total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:1921–1927. CrossRef
- Ghanem E, Ketonis C, Restrepo C, Joshi A, Barrack R, Parvizi J. Periprosthetic infection: where do we stand with regard to Gram stain? Acta Orthop. 2009;80:37–40. CrossRef
- Ghanem E, Parvizi J, Burnett RS, Sharkey PF, Keshavarzi N, Aggarwal A, Barrack RL. Cell count and differential of aspirated fluid in the diagnosis of infection at the site of total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:1637–1643. CrossRef
- Larsson S, Thelander U, Friberg S. C-reactive protein (CRP) levels after elective orthopedic surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;275:237–242.
- Mariani BD, Martin DS, Levine MJ, Booth RE Jr, Tuan RS. The Coventry Award. Polymerase chain reaction detection of bacterial infection in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;331:11–22. CrossRef
- Parvizi J, Ghanem E, Menashe S, Barrack RL, Bauer TW. Periprosthetic infection: what are the diagnostic challenges? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88(Suppl 4):138–147. CrossRef
- Parvizi J, Jacovides C, Adeli B, Jung KA, Hozack WJ. Mark B. Coventry Award. Synovial C-reactive protein: A prospective evaluation of a molecular marker for periprosthetic knee joint infection. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 July 23 [Epub ahead of print].
- Parvizi J, Jacovides C, Antoci V Jr, Ghanem E. Diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection: The role of a simple, yet unrecognized enzyme. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;90(24).
- Parvizi J, Jacovides C, Zmistowski B, Jung KA. Definition of periprosthetic joint infection: Is there a consensus? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 July 13 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schinsky MF, Della Valle CJ, Sporer SM, Paprosky WG. Perioperative testing for joint infection in patients undergoing revision total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:1869–1875. CrossRef
- Trampuz A, Hanssen AD, Osmon DR, Mandrekar J, Steckelberg JM, Patel R. Synovial fluid leukocyte count and differential for the diagnosis of prosthetic knee infection. Am J Med. 2004;117:556–562. CrossRef
- Trampuz A, Piper KE, Jacobson MJ, Hanssen AD, Unni KK, Osmon DR, Mandrekar JN, Cockerill FR, Steckelberg JM, Greenleaf JF, Patel R. Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:654–663. CrossRef
- New Definition for Periprosthetic Joint Infection: From the Workgroup of the Musculoskeletal Infection Society
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 469, Issue 11 , pp 2992-2994
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Rothman Institute of Orthopaedics at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 925 Chestnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA
- 2. Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
- 3. Department of Anatomic Pathology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
- 4. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
- 5. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
- 6. Department of Orthopaedics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
- 7. Center for Joint Preservation and Replacement, Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 8. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA, USA
- 9. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Southern California, LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA