Is Selective Arthroscopic Revision Beneficial for Treating Recurrent Anterior Shoulder Instability?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Surgeons have traditionally treated recurrent shoulder dislocation by open methods. With the advent of arthroscopic repair techniques some surgeons reported higher recurrence rates than with open methods but some of those reports included patients with a variety of problems, including bone loss and those continuing in contact sports. It is unclear whether recurrence rates would be higher in patients without bone loss and those willing to forego contact sports.
We therefore determined recurrence rates and functional scores after arthroscopic revision shoulder stabilization in patients without bone loss and those not subsequently participating in contact sports.
Patients and Methods
We retrospectively reviewed 16 patients who underwent a revision arthroscopic Bankart repair using suture anchors. An arthroscopic approach was selected in patients with a unilateral traumatic injury and mild to moderate bone loss. Arthroscopic stabilization was contraindicated in patients with (1) multidirectional shoulder instability; (2) greater than 25% glenoid bone loss; (3) a Hill Sachs lesion involving more than one-third of the articular surface of the humeral head; and (4) patients electing to continue pursuing contact sports. At followup, physical examination of both shoulders was conducted. Several functional scores (Rowe, UCLA, and Constant & Murley) were compiled. The minimum followup was 24 months (mean, 31 months; range, 24–46 months).
The UCLA score (22–31), Constant & Murley score (69–80), and Rowe score (33–80) all improved. Shoulder instability recurred in three of the 16 patients, two sustaining dislocations and one a subluxation. One recurrence was the result of new trauma and this patient underwent an open Latarjet procedure; the other two patients refused further surgery.
Revision arthroscopic Bankart repair using suture anchors was associated with a low recurrence rate and restoration of acceptable function in patients without bone loss and not participating in contact sports.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Barnes, CJ, Getelman, MH, Snyder, SJ (2009) Results of arthroscopic revision anterior shoulder reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 37: pp. 715-719 CrossRef
- Boileau, P, Richou, J, Lisai, A, Chuinard, C, Bicknell, RT (2009) The role of arthroscopy in revision of failed open anterior stabilization of the shoulder. Arthroscopy. 25: pp. 1075-1084 CrossRef
- Boileau, P, Villalba, M, Hery, JY, Balg, F, Ahrens, P, Neyton, L (2006) Risk factors for recurrence of shoulder instability after arthroscopic Bankart repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 1755-1763 CrossRef
- Bottoni, CR, Smith, EL, Berkowitz, MJ, Towle, RB, Moore, JH (2006) Arthroscopic versus open shoulder stabilization for recurrent anterior instability: a prospective randomized clinical trial. Am J Sports Med. 34: pp. 1730-1737 CrossRef
- Burkhart, SS, Beer, JF (2000) Traumatic glenohumeral bone defects and their relationship to failure of arthroscopic Bankart repairs: significance of the inverted-pear glenoid and the humeral engaging Hill-Sachs lesion. Arthroscopy. 16: pp. 677-694 CrossRef
- Bz, NS, Hwang, JC, Rhee, YG (2006) Arthroscopic stabilization in anterior shoulder instability: collision athletes versus noncollision athletes. Arthroscopy. 22: pp. 947-953 CrossRef
- Bz, NS, Yi, JW, Lee, BG, Rhee, YG (2009) Revision open Bankart surgery after arthroscopic repair for traumatic anterior shoulder instability. Am J Sports Med. 37: pp. 2158-2164 CrossRef
- Cole, BJ, L’Insalata, J, Irrgang, J, Warner, JJ (2000) Comparison of arthroscopic and open anterior shoulder stabilization. A two to six-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 82: pp. 1108-1114 CrossRef
- Constant, CR, Murley, AH (1987) A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 214: pp. 160-164
- Creighton, RA, Romeo, AA, Brown, FM, Hayden, JK, Verma, NN (2007) Revision arthroscopic shoulder instability repair. Arthroscopy. 23: pp. 703-709 CrossRef
- Edouard, P, Beguin, L, Fayolle-Minon, I, Degache, F, Farizon, F, Calmels, P (2010) Relationship between strength and functional indexes (Rowe and Walch-Duplay scores) after shoulder surgical stabilization by the Latarjet technique. Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 53: pp. 499-510 CrossRef
- Fabbriciani, C, Milano, G, Demontis, A, Fadda, S, Ziranu, F, Mulas, PD (2004) Arthroscopic versus open treatment of Bankart lesion of the shoulder: a prospective randomized study. Arthroscopy. 20: pp. 456-462 CrossRef
- Fehringer, EV, Buck, DC, Puumala, SE, Clare, DJ, Clare, PE (2008) Open anterior repair without routine capsulorraphy for traumatic anterior shoulder instability in a community setting. Orthopedics. 31: pp. 365 CrossRef
- Franceschi, F, Longo, UG, Ruzzini, L, Rizzello, G, Maffulli, N, Denaro, V (2008) Arthroscopic salvage of failed arthroscopic Bankart repair: a prospective study with a minimum follow-up of 4 years. Am J Sports Med. 36: pp. 1330-1336 CrossRef
- Freedman, KB, Smith, AP, Romeo, AA, Cole, BJ, Bach, BR (2004) Open Bankart repair versus arthroscopic repair with transglenoid sutures or bioabsorbable tacks for recurrent anterior instability of the shoulder: a meta-analysis. Am J Sports Med. 32: pp. 1520-1527 CrossRef
- Garofalo, R, Mocci, A, Moretti, B, Callari, E, Di Giacomo, G, Theumann, N, Cikes, A, Mouhsine, E (2005) Arthroscopic treatment of anterior shoulder instability using knotless suture anchors. Arthroscopy. 21: pp. 1283-1289 CrossRef
- Kim, SH, Ha, KI (2002) Bankart repair in traumatic anterior shoulder instability: open versus arthroscopic technique. Arthroscopy. 18: pp. 755-763 CrossRef
- Kim, SH, Ha, KI, Cho, YB, Ryu, BD, Oh, I (2003) Arthroscopic anterior stabilization of the shoulder: two to six-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 85: pp. 1511-1518 CrossRef
- Kirkley, A, Griffin, S, Dainty, K (2003) Scoring systems for the functional assessment of the shoulder. Arthroscopy. 19: pp. 1109-1120 CrossRef
- Krueger, D, Kraus, N, Pauly, S, Chen, J, Scheibel, M (2011) Subjective and objective outcome after revision arthroscopic stabilization for recurrent anterior instability versus initial shoulder stabilization. Am J Sports Med. 39: pp. 71-77 CrossRef
- Lai, D, Ma, HL, Hung, SC, Chen, TH, Wu, JJ (2006) Open Bankart repair with suture anchors for traumatic recurrent anterior shoulder instability: comparison of results between small and large Bankart lesions. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 14: pp. 82-87 CrossRef
- Levine, WN, Arroyo, JS, Pollock, RG, Flatow, EL, Bigliani, LU (2000) Open revision stabilization surgery for recurrent anterior glenohumeral instability. Am J Sports Med. 28: pp. 156-160
- Mazzocca, AD, Brown, FM, Carreira, DS, Hayden, J, Romeo, AA (2005) Arthroscopic anterior shoulder stabilization of collision and contact athletes. Am J Sports Med. 33: pp. 52-60 CrossRef
- Meehan, RE, Petersen, SA (2005) Results and factors affecting outcome of revision surgery for shoulder instability. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 14: pp. 31-37 CrossRef
- Millar, NL, Murrell, GA (2008) The effectiveness of arthroscopic stabilisation for failed open shoulder instability surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 90: pp. 745-750 CrossRef
- Neri, BR, Tuckman, DV, Bravman, JT, Yim, D, Sahajpal, DT, Rokito, AS (2007) Arthroscopic revision of Bankart repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 16: pp. 419-424 CrossRef
- Patel, RV, Apostle, K, Leith, JM, Regan, WD (2008) Revision arthroscopic capsulolabral reconstruction for recurrent instability of the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 90: pp. 1462-1467 CrossRef
- Rowe, CR, Zarins, B, Ciullo, JV (1984) Recurrent anterior dislocation of the shoulder after surgical repair. Apparent causes of failure and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 66: pp. 159-168
- Sugaya, H, Moriishi, J, Kanisawa, I, Tsuchiya, A (2005) Arthroscopic osseous Bankart repair for chronic recurrent traumatic anterior glenohumeral instability. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 87: pp. 1752-1760 CrossRef
- Sugaya, H, Moriishi, J, Kanisawa, I, Tsuchiya, A (2006) Arthroscopic osseous Bankart repair for chronic recurrent traumatic anterior glenohumeral instability. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 88: pp. 159-169 CrossRef
- Tauber, M, Resch, H, Forstner, R, Raffl, M, Schauer, J (2004) Reasons for failure after surgical repair of anterior shoulder instability. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 13: pp. 279-285 CrossRef
- Terry, GC, Friedman, SJ, Uhl, TL (1994) Arthroscopically treated tears of the glenoid labrum. Factors influencing outcome. Am J Sports Med. 22: pp. 504-512 CrossRef
- Zabinski, SJ, Callaway, GH, Cohen, S, Warren, RF (1999) Revision shoulder stabilization: 2- to 10-year results. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 8: pp. 58-65 CrossRef
- Is Selective Arthroscopic Revision Beneficial for Treating Recurrent Anterior Shoulder Instability?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 470, Issue 4 , pp 965-971
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors