High Dislocation Cumulative Risk in THA versus Hemiarthroplasty for Fractures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although not all elderly patients with femoral neck fractures are candidates for THA, active, mentally competent, independent patients achieve the most durable functional scores with THA compared with hemiarthroplasty. However, a relatively high frequency of early or late dislocation could reduce the potential benefits with THA.
We asked whether the incidence of first-time, recurrent dislocation, and revision differed in patients with hip fractures having THA or hemiarthroplasty.
Patients and Methods
We retrospectively reviewed 380 patients with hip fractures (380 hips) who underwent THAs between 1995 and 1999, and compared them with 412 patients with hip fractures (412 hips) who underwent hemiarthroplasties between 1990 and 1994. The mean followup was 8 years (range, 1–20 years).
THA had a higher early risk of first-time dislocation and a higher late risk: 19 (4.5%) of the 412 hips treated with hemiarthroplasty had at least one dislocation whereas 30 (8.1%) of the 380 hips treated with THA had at least one dislocation. The cumulative number of dislocations at the most recent followup (first time and recurrent dislocations) was 58 (13%) for the 380 THAs and 22 (5%) for the 412 hemiarthroplasties. At the 10-year followup, eight THAs (2%) had revision (six recurrent dislocations, two loosenings), and 42 hemiarthroplasties (10%) had revision (40 acetabular protrusions, one recurrent dislocation).
The risk of revision for recurrent dislocation increases with THA, but it remains lower than the risk of revision for wear of cartilage and acetabular protrusion in hemiarthroplasty.
Level of Evidence
Level III, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Alberton, GM, High, WA, Morrey, BF (2002) Dislocation after revision total hip arthroplasty: an analysis of risk factors and treatment options. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 84: pp. 1788-1792
- Baker, RP, Squires, B, Gargan, MF, Bannister, GC (2006) Total hip arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty in mobile, independent patients with a displaced intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck: a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 2583-2589 CrossRef
- Berry, DJ, Knoch, M, Schleck, CD, Harmsen, WS (2004) The cumulative long-term risk of dislocation after primary Charnley total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 86: pp. 9-14
- Blomfeldt, R, Tornkvist, H, Ponzer, S, Söderqvist, A, Tidermark, J (2005) Comparison of internal fixation with total hip replacement for displaced femoral neck fractures: randomized controlled trial performed at four years. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 87: pp. 1680-1688 CrossRef
- Calder, SJ, Anderson, GH, Jagger, C, Harper, WM, Gregg, PJ (1996) Unipolar or bipolar prosthesis for displaced intracapsular hip fracture in octogenarians: a randomised prospective study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 78: pp. 391-394
- DeLee, JG, Charnley, J (1976) Radiological demarcation of cemented sockets in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 121: pp. 20-32
- Dorr, LD, Glousman, R, Hoy, AL, Vanis, R, Chandler, R (1986) Treatment of femoral neck fractures with total hip replacement versus cemented and noncemented hemiarthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1: pp. 21-28 CrossRef
- Enocson, A, Tidermark, J, Tornkvist, H, Lapidus, LJ (2008) Dislocation of hemiarthroplasty after femoral neck fracture: better outcome after the anterolateral approach in a prospective cohort study on 739 consecutive hips. Acta Orthop. 79: pp. 211-217 CrossRef
- Hedbeck, CJ, Enocson, A, Lapidus, G, Blomfeldt, R, Törnkvist, H, Ponzer, S, Tidermark, J (2011) Comparison of bipolar hemiarthroplasty with total hip arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a concise four-year follow-up of a randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 92: pp. 445-450 CrossRef
- Hernigou, P, Filippini, P, Flouzat-Lachaniette, CH, Batista, SU, Poignard, A (2010) Constrained liner in neurologic or cognitively impaired patients undergoing primary THA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 468: pp. 3255-3262 CrossRef
- Hopley C, Stengel D, Ekkernkamp A, Wich M. Primary total hip arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced intracapsular hip fractures in older patients: systematic review. BMJ. 2010 Jun 11;340:c2332. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c2332.
- Iorio, R, Davis, CM, Healy, WL, Fehring, TK, O’Connor, MI, York, S (2010) Impact of the economic downturn on adult reconstruction surgery: a survey of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. J Arthroplasty. 25: pp. 1005-1014 CrossRef
- Kaplan, EL, Meier, P (1958) Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc. 453: pp. 457-481 CrossRef
- Keating, JF, Grant, A, Masson, M, Scott, NW, Forbes, JF (2006) Randomized comparison of reduction and fixation, bipolar hemiarthroplasty, and total hip arthroplasty: treatment of displaced intracapsular hip fractures in healthy older patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 249-260 CrossRef
- Lee, BP, Berry, DJ, Harmsen, WS, Sim, FH (1998) Total hip arthroplasty for the treatment of an acute fracture of the femoral neck: long-term results. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 80: pp. 70-75 CrossRef
- Lie, SA, Engesaeter, LB, Havelin, LI, Gjessing, HK, Vollset, SE (2000) Mortality after total hip replacement: 0–10-year follow-up of 39, 543 patients in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop Scand. 71: pp. 19-27 CrossRef
- Mabry, TM, Prpa, B, Haidukewych, GJ, Harmsen, WS, Berry, DJ (2004) Long-term results of total hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture nonunion. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 86: pp. 2263-2267
- Macaulay, W, Nellans, KW, Garvin, KL, Iorio, R, Healy, WL, Rosenwasser, MP (2008) Prospective randomized clinical trial comparing hemiarthroplasty to total hip arthroplasty in the treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures: winner of the Dorr Award. J Arthroplasty. 23: pp. 2-8 CrossRef
- Macaulay, W, Pagnotto, MR, Iorio, R, Mont, MA, Saleh, KJ (2006) Displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: hemiarthroplasty versus total hip arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14: pp. 287-293
- Parvizi, J, Ereth, MH, Lewallen, DG (2004) Thirty-day mortality following hip arthroplasty for acute fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 86: pp. 1983-1988
- Parvizi, J, Morrey, BF (2000) Bipolar hip arthroplasty as a salvage treatment for instability of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 82: pp. 1132-1139
- Paterno, SA, Lachiewicz, PF, Kelley, SS (1997) The influence of patient-related factors and the position of the acetabular component on the rate of dislocation after total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 79: pp. 1202-1210
- Schmidt, AH, Asnis, SE, Haidukewich, GJ, Koval, KJ, Thorngren, KG (2005) Femoral neck fractures. Instr Course Lect. 54: pp. 417-445
- Søreide, O, Skjaerven, R, Alho, A (1982) The risk of acetabular protrusion following prosthetic replacement of the femoral head. Acta Orthop Scand. 53: pp. 791-794 CrossRef
- Squires, B, Bannister, G (1999) Displaced intracapsular neck of femur fractures in mobile independent patients: total hip replacement or hemiarthroplasty?. Injury. 30: pp. 345-348 CrossRef
- Tarasevicius, S, Jermolajevas, V, Tarasevicius, R, Zegunis, V, Smailys, A, Kalesinskas, RJ (2005) Total hip replacement for the treatment of femoral neck fractures: long-term results. Medicina (Kaunas) 41: pp. 465-469
- Tidermark, J, Ponzer, S, Svensson, O, Söderqvist, A, Törnkvist, H (2003) Internal fixation compared with total hip replacement for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: a randomised controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 85: pp. 380-388 CrossRef
- Vugt, AB, Oosterwijk, WM, Goris, RJ (1993) Osteosynthesis versus endoprosthesis in the treatment of unstable intracapsular hip fractures in the elderly: a randomised clinical trial. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 113: pp. 39-45 CrossRef
- High Dislocation Cumulative Risk in THA versus Hemiarthroplasty for Fractures
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 469, Issue 11 , pp 3148-3153
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors