Function Plateaus by One Year in Patients With Surgically Treated Displaced Midshaft Clavicle Fractures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Based on short-term (1 year or less) followup, primary fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures reportedly results in better function compared with that reported for nonoperative methods. Whether better function persists beyond 1 year is unclear.
For displaced midshaft clavicle fractures, do the better mean Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) and Constant-Murley Shoulder (CSS) scores for operative versus nonoperative treatment at 1 year change between 1- and 2-year followup?
Patients and Methods
We previously reported 132 patients in a randomized prospective trial at 1 year, and here we report a further followup of 95 of the 132 patients (72%) at 2 years after injury. We evaluated all patients with the DASH and CSS scores.
The mean DASH and CSS scores were similar at 2 years compared with 1 year postinjury for both the nonoperated and operated patients. The mean scores for the operated patients remained higher than those in the nonoperative group (DASH operative 4.1 ± 7.0 versus DASH nonoperative 11.4 ± 19.7, CSS operative 97.1 ± 4.5 versus CSS nonoperative 91.6 ± 14.1) at 2 years postinjury.
The improvement in DASH and CSS scores seen with primary fixation of displaced clavicle fractures persists at 2 years but does not differ from values seen after 1 year of followup, suggesting a clinical steady state has been reached whereby outcome is unlikely to change with time.
Level of Evidence
Level I, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Canadian Orthopaedic Trauma Society. Nonoperative treatment compared with plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures. A multicenter, randomized clinical trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:1–10. CrossRef
- Chan KY, Jupiter JB, Leffert RD, Marti R. Clavicle malunion. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1999;8:287–290. CrossRef
- Chen CH, Chen JC, Wang C, Tien YC, Chang JK, Hung SH. Semitubular plates for acutely displaced midclavicular fractures: a retrospective study of 111 patients followed for 2.5 to 6 years. J Orthop Trauma. 2008;22:463–466. CrossRef
- Cho CH, Song KS, Min BW, Bae KC, Lee KJ. Operative treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures: comparison between reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate. Clin Orthop Surg. 2010;2:154–159. CrossRef
- Connolly S, McKee MD, Zdero R, Waddell JP, Schemitsch EH. Immediate plate osteosynthesis of open fractures of the humeral shaft. J Trauma. 2010 Jan 8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Faldini C, Nanni M, Leonetti D, Acri F, Galante C, Luciani D, Giannini S. Nonoperative treatment of closed displaced midshaft clavicle fractures. J Orthop Traumatol. 2010 Oct 9 [Epub ahead of print].
- Hill JM, McGuire MH, Crosby LA. Closed treatment of displaced middle-third fractures of the clavicle gives poor results. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997;79:537–539. CrossRef
- Jubel A, Andermahr J, Prokop A, Lee JI, Schiffer G, Rehm KE. Treatment of mid-clavicular fractures in adults. Early results after rucksack bandage or elastic stable intramedullary nailing [in German]. Unfallchirurg. 2005;108:707–714. CrossRef
- Judd DB, Pallis MP, Smith E, Bottoni CR. Acute operative stabilization versus nonoperative management of clavicle fractures. Am J Orthop. 2009;38:341–345.
- Khan SA, Shamshery P, Gupta V, Trikha V, Varshney MK, Kumar A. Locking compression plate in long standing clavicular nonunions with poor bone stock. J Trauma. 2008;64:439–441. CrossRef
- Marsh JL, McKinley T, Dirschl D, Pick A, Haft G, Anderson DD, Brown T. The sequential recovery of health status after tibial plafond fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24:499–504. CrossRef
- McKee MD, Pedersen EM, Jones C. Deficits following nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:35–40. CrossRef
- McKee MD, Wild LM, Schemitsch EH. Midshaft malunions of the clavicle. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:790–797.
- Neer CS 2nd. Nonunion of the clavicle. JAMA. 1960;172:1006–1011.
- Nordqvist A, Petersson CJ, Redlund-Johnell I. Mid-clavicle fractures in adults: end result study after conservative treatment. J Orthop Trauma. 1998;12:572–576. CrossRef
- O’Connor D, Kutty S, McCabe JP. Long-term functional outcome assessment of plate fixation and autogenous bone grafting for clavicular non-union. Injury. 2004;35:575–579. CrossRef
- Pearson AM, Tosteson AN, Koval KJ, McKee MD, Cantu RV, Bell JE, Vicente M. Is surgery for displaced, midshaft clavicle fractures cost-effective? Results based on a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24:426–433. CrossRef
- Postacchini F, Gumina S, De Sanits P, Albo F. Epidemiology of clavicle fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11:452–456. CrossRef
- Potter JM, Jones C, Wild LM, Schemitsch EH, McKee MD. Does delay matter? The restoration of objectively measured shoulder strength and patient-oriented outcome after immediate fixation versus delayed reconstruction of displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007;16:514–518. CrossRef
- Preston C, Egol K. Midshaft clavicle fractures in adults. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2009;67:52–57.
- Rowe CR. An atlas of anatomy and treatment of midclavicular fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1968;58:29–42. CrossRef
- Schemitsch EH, Bhandari M, Boden SD, Bourne RB, Bozic KJ, Jacobs JJ, Zdero R. The evidence-based approach in bringing new orthopaedic devices to market. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:1030–1037. CrossRef
- Smekal V, Irenberger A, Struve P, Wambacher M, Krappinger D, Kralinger FS. Elastic stable intramedullary nailing versus nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures—a randomized, controlled, clinical trial. J Orthop Trauma. 2009;23:106–112. CrossRef
- Stufkens SA, Kloen P. Treatment of midshaft clavicular delayed and non-unions with anteroinferior locking compression plating. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2010;130:159–164. CrossRef
- Tokunaga K, Aslam N, Zdero R, Schemitsch EH, Waddell JP. Effect of prior Salter or Chiari osteotomy on THA with developmental hip dysplasia. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 May 11 [Epub ahead of print].
- Whelan DB, Bhandari M, Stephen D, Kreder H, McKee MD, Zdero R, Schemitsch EH. Development of the radiographic union score for tibial fractures (RUST) for the assessment of tibial fracture healing after intramedullary fixation. J Trauma. 2010;68:629–632. CrossRef
- Function Plateaus by One Year in Patients With Surgically Treated Displaced Midshaft Clavicle Fractures
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 469, Issue 12 , pp 3351-3355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Upper Extremity Reconstructive Service, St Michael’s Hospital and the University of Toronto, Suite 800, 55 Queen Street E, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1R6, Canada