Incidence and Factors Associated with Squeaking in Alumina-on-Alumina THA
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The alumina-on-alumina bearing surface, which has a high wear resistance and a good biocompatibility, is widely used in THA but recently has been associated with squeaking. While various authors have reported factors associated with squeaking, they remain poorly understood.
To contribute to the debate on squeaking we therefore asked the following questions: (1) What is the incidence of squeaking in alumina-on-alumina THA? (2) What factors are associated with squeaking in alumina bearings in our practice?
We retrospectively reviewed 168 patients (173 hips) who had primary alumina-on-alumina THAs. The mean age of the patients was 53 years (range, 18 to 81 years). Minimum followup was 5.6 years (average, 7.3 years; range, 5.6–9.4 years). All patients were evaluated clinically and radiographically with attention to periprosthetic osteolysis, squeaking, and ceramic fracture. When the patient reported squeaking, we determined the onset, reproducibility, and activities associated with the squeaking. We recorded patient (gender, age, height, weight, and body mass index) and surgical factors (abduction angle of cup, size and length of ceramic head component, and diameter of cup in the implant).
Eight of the 168 patients (5%) had squeaking hips. Squeaking was more common in males and in those with large ceramic heads. There were no complications or revisions in the squeaking group. One ceramic liner fracture was associated with trochanteric nonunion.
When recommending alumina-on-alumina bearing surfaces to patients they should be clearly informed of the possibility of squeaking. Patients with risk factors for squeaking should be followed at regular intervals.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Affatato S, Traina F, Mazzega-Fabbro C, Sergo V, Viceconti M. Is ceramic-on-ceramic squeaking phenomenon reproducible in vitro? A long-term simulator study under severe conditions. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2009;91:264–271.
- Baek SH, Kim SY. Cementless total hip arthroplasty with alumina bearings in patients younger than fifty with femoral head osteonecrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:1314–1320. CrossRef
- Berry DJ. Management of osteolysis around total hip arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 1999;22:805–808.
- Bierbaum BE, Nairus J, Kuesis D, Morrison JC, Ward D. Ceramic-on-ceramic bearings in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;405:158–163. CrossRef
- Bizot P, Hannouche D, Nizard R, Witvoet J, Sedel L. Hybrid alumina total hip arthroplasty using a press-fit metal-backed socket in patients younger than 55 years. A six- to 11-year evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:190–194. CrossRef
- Bizot P, Larrouy M, Witvoet J, Sedel L, Nizard R. Press-fit metal-backed alumina sockets: a minimum 5-year followup study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000:134–142.
- Bizot P, Nizard R, Hamadouche M, Hannouche D, Sedel L. Prevention of wear and osteolysis: alumina-on-alumina bearing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;393:85–93. CrossRef
- Callaghan JJ, Salvati EA, Pellicci PM, Wilson PD, Ranawat CS. Results of revision for mechanical failure after cemented total hip-replacement, 1979 to 1982—a 2 to 5-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1985;67:1074–1085.
- Callaway GH, Flynn W, Ranawat CS, Sculco TP. Fracture of the femoral head after ceramic-on-polyethylene total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1995;10:855–859. CrossRef
- Capello WN, D’Antonio JA, Feinberg JR, Manley MT, Naughton M. Ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty: update. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:39–43. CrossRef
- Chevillotte C, Trousdale RT, Chen Q, Guyen O, An KN. The 2009 Frank Stinchfield Award: “Hip squeaking”: A biomechanical study of ceramic-on-ceramic bearing surfaces. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:345–350. CrossRef
- D’Antonio J, Capello W, Manley M, Bierbaum B. New experience with alumina-on-alumina ceramic bearings for total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2002;17:390–397. CrossRef
- D’Antonio J, Capello W, Manley M, Naughton M, Sutton K. Alumina ceramic bearings for total hip arthroplasty: five-year results of a prospective randomized study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;436:164–171. CrossRef
- DeLee JG, Charnley J. Radiological demarcation of cemented sockets in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;121:20–32.
- Engh CA, Massin P, Suthers KE. Roentgenographic assessment of the biologic fixation of porous-surfaced femoral components. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;257:107–128.
- Fenollosa J, Seminario P, Montijano C. Ceramic hip prostheses in young patients: a retrospective study of 74 patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;379:55–67. CrossRef
- Glaser D, Komistek RD, Cates HE, Mahfouz MR. Clicking and squeaking: in vivo correlation of sound and separation for different bearing surfaces. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90 Suppl 4:112–120. CrossRef
- Ha YC, Kim SY, Kim HJ, Yoo JJ, Koo KH. Ceramic liner fracture after cementless alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;458:106–110.
- Hamadouche M, Boutin P, Daussange J, Bolander ME, Sedel L. Alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty: a minimum 18.5-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:69–77.
- Hannouche D, Hamadouche M, Nizard R, Bizot P, Meunier A, Sedel L. Ceramics in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;430:62–71. CrossRef
- Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969;51:737–755.
- Harris WH. Wear and periprosthetic osteolysis: the problem. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;393:66–70. CrossRef
- Hernigou P, Zilber S, Filippini P, Poignard A. Ceramic-ceramic bearing decreases osteolysis: a 20-year study versus ceramic-polyethylene on the contralateral hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:2274–2280. CrossRef
- Jarrett CA, Ranawat AS, Bruzzone M, Blum YC, Rodriguez JA, Ranawat CS. The squeaking hip: a phenomenon of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91:1344–1349. CrossRef
- Jazrawi LM, Bogner E, Della Valle CJ, Chen FS, Pak KI, Stuchin SA, Frankel VH, Di Cesare PE. Wear rates of ceramic-on-ceramic bearing surfaces in total hip implants: a 12-year follow-up study. J Arthroplasty. 1999;14:781–787. CrossRef
- Keurentjes JC, Kuipers RM, Wever DJ, Schreurs BW. High incidence of squeaking in THAs with alumina ceramic-on-ceramic bearings. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1438–1443. CrossRef
- Koo KH, Ha YC, Jung WH, Kim SR, Yoo JJ, Kim HJ. Isolated fracture of the ceramic head after third-generation alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:329–336. CrossRef
- Latimer HA, Lachiewicz PF. Porous-coated acetabular components with screw fixation. Five to ten-year results. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996;78:975–981.
- Lerouge S, Huk O, Yahia L, Witvoet J, Sedel L. Ceramic-ceramic and metal-polyethylene total hip replacements: comparison of pseudomembranes after loosening. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997;79:135–139. CrossRef
- Lusty PJ, Tai CC, Sew-Hoy RP, Walter WL, Walter WK, Zicat BA. Third-generation alumina-on-alumina ceramic bearings in cementless total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:2676–2683. CrossRef
- Mai K, Verioti C, Ezzet KA, Copp SN, Walker RH, Colwell CW. Incidence of ‘squeaking’ after ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:413–417. CrossRef
- Morlock M, Nassutt R, Janssen R, Willmann G, Honl M. Mismatched wear couple zirconium oxide and aluminum oxide in total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2001;16:1071–1074. CrossRef
- Nich C, Sariali el H, Hannouche D, Nizard R, Witvoet J, Sedel L, Bizot P. Long-term results of alumina-on-alumina hip arthroplasty for osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;417:102–111.
- Ranawat AS, Ranawat CS. The squeaking hip: a cause for concern-agrees. Orthopedics. 2007;30:738–743.
- Restrepo C, Lettich T, Roberts N, Parvizi J, Hozack WJ. Uncemented total hip arthroplasty in patients less than twenty-years. Acta Orthop Belg. 2008;74:615–622.
- Restrepo C, Parvizi J, Kurtz SM, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH. The noisy ceramic hip: is component malpositioning the cause? J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:643–649. CrossRef
- Toni A, Traina F, Stea S, Sudanese A, Visentin M, Bordini B, Squarzoni S. Early diagnosis of ceramic liner fracture. Guidelines based on a twelve-year clinical experience. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88 Suppl 4:55–63. CrossRef
- Walter WL, O’Toole GC, Walter WK, Ellis A, Zicat BA. Squeaking in ceramic-on-ceramic hips: the importance of acetabular component orientation. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22:496–503. CrossRef
- Walter WL, Waters TS, Gillies M, Donohoo S, Kurtz SM, Ranawat AS, Hozack WJ, Tuke MA. Squeaking hips. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90 Suppl 4:102–111. CrossRef
- Yoo JJ, Kim YM, Yoon KS, Koo KH, Song WS, Kim HJ. Alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty. A five-year minimum follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:530–535. CrossRef
- Incidence and Factors Associated with Squeaking in Alumina-on-Alumina THA
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 468, Issue 12 , pp 3234-3239
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hanyang University Seoul Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
- 2. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hanyang University Guri Hospital, 249-1 Gyomun-dong, Guri-si, Gyunggi-do, 471-701, South Korea