Open Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement is Associated with Clinical Improvement and Low Complication Rate at Short-term Followup
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Since the modern description of femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) a decade ago, surgical treatment has become increasingly common. Although the ability of open treatment of FAI to relieve pain and improve function has been demonstrated in a number of retrospective studies, questions remain regarding predictability of clinical outcome, the factors associated with clinical failure, and the complications associated with treatment.
We therefore described the change in clinical pain and function after open treatment, determined whether failure of treatment and progression of osteoarthritis was associated with Outerbridge Grade IV hyaline cartilage injury, and described the associated complications.
We retrospectively reviewed all 94 patients (96 hips) (55 males and 39 females; mean age, 28 years) who underwent surgical dislocation for femoroacetabular impingement between 2000 and 2008. Seventy-two of the 96 hips had acetabular articular cartilage lesions treated with a variety of methods, most commonly resection of damaged hyaline cartilage and labral advancement. Patients were followed for a minimum of 18 months (mean, 26 months; range, 18–96 months).
Mean Harris hip scores improved from 67 to 91 at final followup. Six of the 96 hips (6%) were converted to arthroplasty or had worse Harris hip score after surgical recovery. Four of these six had Outerbridge Grade IV acetabular cartilage lesions and two had Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease or slipped capital epiphysis deformities. Two hips (2%) had refixation of the greater trochanter.
At short-term followup, open treatment for femoroacetabular impingement in hips without substantial acetabular hyaline cartilage damage reduced pain and improved function with a low complication rate. Treatment of Outerbridge Grade IV acetabular cartilage delamination remains the major challenge.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Anderson, LA, Crofoot, CD, Erickson, JA, Peters, CL (2009) Staged surgical dislocation and redirectional periacetabular osteotomy: a report of five cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91: pp. 2469-2476 CrossRef
- Anderson, LA, Peters, CL, Park, BB, Stoddard, GJ, Erickson, JA, Crim, JR (2009) Acetabular cartilage delamination in femoroacetabular impingement. Risk factors and magnetic resonance imaging diagnosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91: pp. 305-313 CrossRef
- Beaule, PE, Duff, MJ, Zaragoza, E (2007) Quality of life following femoral head-neck osteochondroplasty for femoroacetabular impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 89: pp. 773-779 CrossRef
- Beaule, PE, Zaragoza, E, Copelan, N (2004) Magnetic resonance imaging with gadolinium arthrography to assess acetabular cartilage delamination. A report of four cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 86: pp. 2294-2298
- Beck, M, Kalhor, M, Leunig, M, Ganz, R (2005) Hip morphology influences the pattern of damage to the acetabular cartilage: femoroacetabular impingement as a cause of early osteoarthritis of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 87: pp. 1012-1018 CrossRef
- Beck, M, Leunig, M, Parvizi, J, Boutier, V, Wyss, D, Ganz, R (2004) Anterior femoroacetabular impingement: part II. Midterm results of surgical treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 418: pp. 67-73 CrossRef
- Bedi, A, Chen, N, Robertson, W, Kelly, BT (2008) The management of labral tears and femoroacetabular impingement of the hip in the young, active patient. Arthroscopy. 24: pp. 1135-1145
- Bizzini, M, Notzli, HP, Maffiuletti, NA (2007) Femoroacetabular impingement in professional ice hockey players: a case series of 5 athletes after open surgical decompression of the hip. Am J Sports Med. 35: pp. 1955-1959 CrossRef
- Byrd, JW, Jones, KS (2000) Prospective analysis of hip arthroscopy with 2-year follow-up. Arthroscopy. 16: pp. 578-587 CrossRef
- Ecker, TM, Tannast, M, Puls, M, Siebenrock, KA, Murphy, SB (2007) Pathomorphologic alterations predict presence or absence of hip osteoarthrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 465: pp. 46-52
- Espinosa N, Beck M, Rothenfluh DA, Ganz R, Leunig M. Treatment of femoro-acetabular impingement: preliminary results of labral refixation. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89 Pt 1 Suppl 2:36–53.
- Espinosa, N, Rothenfluh, DA, Beck, M, Ganz, R, Leunig, M (2006) Treatment of femoro-acetabular impingement: preliminary results of labral refixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 925-935 CrossRef
- Ganz, R, Gill, TJ, Gautier, E, Ganz, K, Krugel, N, Berlemann, U (2001) Surgical dislocation of the adult hip a technique with full access to the femoral head and acetabulum without the risk of avascular necrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 83: pp. 1119-1124 CrossRef
- Ganz, R, Klaue, K, Vinh, TS, Mast, JW (2004) A new periacetabular osteotomy for the treatment of hip dysplasias: technique and preliminary results. 1988. Clin Orthop Relat Res 418: pp. 3-8 CrossRef
- Ganz, R, Parvizi, J, Beck, M, Leunig, M, Notzli, H, Siebenrock, KA (2003) Femoroacetabular impingement: a cause for osteoarthritis of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 417: pp. 112-120
- Gautier, E, Ganz, K, Krugel, N, Gill, T, Ganz, R (2000) Anatomy of the medial femoral circumflex artery and its surgical implications. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 82: pp. 679-683 CrossRef
- Gdalevitch, M, Smith, K, Tanzer, M (2009) Delamination cysts: a predictor of acetabular cartilage delamination in hips with a labral tear. Clin Orthop Relat Res 467: pp. 985-991 CrossRef
- Graves, ML, Mast, JW (2009) Femoroacetabular impingement: do outcomes reliably improve with surgical dislocations?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 467: pp. 717-723 CrossRef
- Ito, K, Minka, MA, Leunig, M, Werlen, S, Ganz, R (2001) Femoroacetabular impingement and the cam-effect. A MRI-based quantitative anatomical study of the femoral head-neck offset. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 83: pp. 171-176 CrossRef
- Kassarjian, A, Yoon, LS, Belzile, E, Connolly, SA, Millis, MB, Palmer, WE (2005) Triad of MR arthrographic findings in patients with cam-type femoroacetabular impingement. Radiology. 236: pp. 588-592 CrossRef
- Larson, CM, Giveans, MR (2008) Arthroscopic management of femoroacetabular impingement: early outcomes measures. Arthroscopy. 24: pp. 540-546
- Lequesne M, de S. False profile of the pelvis. A new radiographic incidence for the study of the hip. Its use in dysplasias and different coxopathies [in French]. Rev Rhum Mal Osteoartic. 1961;28:643–652.
- Leunig, M, Beck, M, Dora, C, Ganz, R (2006) Femoroacetabular impingement: trigger for the development of coxarthrosis [in German]. Orthopade. 35: pp. 77-84 CrossRef
- Leunig, M, Beck, M, Woo, A, Dora, C, Kerboull, M, Ganz, R (2003) Acetabular rim degeneration: a constant finding in the aged hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 413: pp. 201-207 CrossRef
- Leunig, M, Ganz, R (2005) Femoroacetabular impingement. A common cause of hip complaints leading to arthrosis [in German]. Unfallchirurg 108: pp. 12-17
- Leunig, M, Werlen, S, Ungersbock, A, Ito, K, Ganz, R (1997) Evaluation of the acetabular labrum by MR arthrography. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 79: pp. 230-234 CrossRef
- Mast, JW, Brunner, RL, Zebrack, J (2004) Recognizing acetabular version in the radiographic presentation of hip dysplasia. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 418: pp. 48-53 CrossRef
- Murphy, S, Tannast, M, Kim, YJ, Buly, R, Millis, MB (2004) Debridement of the adult hip for femoroacetabular impingement: indications and preliminary clinical results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 429: pp. 178-181 CrossRef
- Myers, SR, Eijer, H, Ganz, R (1999) Anterior femoroacetabular impingement after periacetabular osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 363: pp. 93-99 CrossRef
- Outerbridge, RE (2001) The etiology of chondromalacia patellae. 1961. Clin Orthop Relat Res 389: pp. 5-8 CrossRef
- Parvizi, J, Leunig, M, Ganz, R (2007) Femoroacetabular impingement. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 15: pp. 561-570
- Peters, CL, Erickson, J (2006) The etiology and treatment of hip pain in the young adult. J Bone Joint Surg Am 88: pp. 20-26 CrossRef
- Peters, CL, Erickson, JA (2006) Treatment of femoro-acetabular impingement with surgical dislocation and debridement in young adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 88: pp. 1735-1741 CrossRef
- Philippon, M, Schenker, M, Briggs, K, Kuppersmith, D (2007) Femoroacetabular impingement in 45 professional athletes: associated pathologies and return to sport following arthroscopic decompression. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 15: pp. 908-914 CrossRef
- Philippon, MJ, Maxwell, RB, Johnston, TL, Schenker, M, Briggs, KK (2007) Clinical presentation of femoroacetabular impingement. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 15: pp. 1041-1047 CrossRef
- Pulido, L, Parvizi, J (2007) Femoroacetabular impingement. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 11: pp. 66-72 CrossRef
- Siebenrock, KA, Wahab, KH, Werlen, S, Kalhor, M, Leunig, M, Ganz, R (2004) Abnormal extension of the femoral head epiphysis as a cause of cam impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 418: pp. 54-60 CrossRef
- Tannast, M, Goricki, D, Beck, M, Murphy, SB, Siebenrock, KA (2008) Hip damage occurs at the zone of femoroacetabular impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 466: pp. 273-280 CrossRef
- Tannast, M, Siebenrock, KA, Anderson, SE (2007) Femoroacetabular impingement: radiographic diagnosis—what the radiologist should know. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 188: pp. 1540-1552 CrossRef
- Tanzer, M, Noiseux, N (2004) Osseous abnormalities and early osteoarthritis: the role of hip impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 429: pp. 170-177 CrossRef
- Wagner, S, Hofstetter, W, Chiquet, M, Mainil-Varlet, P, Stauffer, E, Ganz, R, Siebenrock, KA (2003) Early osteoarthritic changes of human femoral head cartilage subsequent to femoro-acetabular impingement. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 11: pp. 508-518 CrossRef
- Wenger, DR, Kishan, S, Pring, ME (2006) Impingement and childhood hip disease. J Pediatr Orthop B. 15: pp. 233-243
- Open Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement is Associated with Clinical Improvement and Low Complication Rate at Short-term Followup
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 468, Issue 2 , pp 504-510
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors