Discontinuation of Warfarin Is Unnecessary in Total Knee Arthroplasty
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Patients with medical comorbidities that necessitate chronic anticoagulation therapy frequently present as candidates for total knee arthroplasty (TKA). We asked whether it was necessary to stop warfarin preoperatively to avoid postoperative bleeding complications. We retrospectively reviewed 77 preoperatively anticoagulated patients undergoing TKA. Thirty-eight of these 77 patients were maintained on their routine therapeutic warfarin regimen throughout the perioperative period. The remaining 39 patients had their routine preoperative warfarin regimen discontinued preoperatively and then restarted after surgery. We compared rates of comorbid illness, blood transfusions, wound complications, and reoperations. The demographic data and the ratio of primary to revision arthroplasties were similar in the two groups. The age-adjusted risk ratios for blood transfusions, wound complications, and reoperations were 0.61, 0.29, and 0.43, respectively. The data presented suggest maintaining a therapeutic warfarin regimen throughout the perioperative period for high-risk patients is not associated with an increase risk of complications after TKA.
Level of Evidence: Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Alcalay J. Cutaneous surgery in patients receiving warfarin therapy. Dermatol Surg. 2001;27:756–758. CrossRef
- Anderson DR, Wilson SJ, Blundell J. Comparison of a nomogram and physician-adjusted dosage of warfarin for prophylaxis against deep-vein thrombosis after arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:1992–1997.
- Blacker DJ, Wijdicks EFM, McClelland RL. Stroke risk in anticoagulated patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing endoscopy. Neurology. 2003;61:964–968.
- Brinker MR, Reuben JD, Mull JR. Comparison of general and epidural anesthesia in patients undergoing primary unilateral THR. Orthopedics. 1997;20:109–115.
- British Thoracic Society. Optimum duration of anticoagulation for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Research Committee of the British Thoracic Society. Lancet. 1992;340:873–876.
- Colwell CW, Collis DK, Paulson R. Comparison of enoxaparin and warfarin for the prevention of venous thromboembolic disease after total hip arthroplasty: evaluation during hospitalization and three months after discharge. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999;81:932–940. CrossRef
- Conover WJ. Practical Nonparametric Statistics. 2nd Ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 1980:165–169.
- Dahl OE, Gudmundsen TE, Haukeland L. Late occurring clinical deep vein thrombosis in joint-operated patients. Acta Orthop Scand. 2000;71:47–50. CrossRef
- Dunn AS, Turpie AG. Perioperative management of patients receiving oral anticoagulants: a systematic review. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:901–908. CrossRef
- Freedman KB, Brookenthal KR, Fitzgerald RH, Williams S, Lonner JH. A meta-analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis following elective total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000;82:929–938.
- Gangireddy C, Rectenwald JR, Upchurch GR. Risk factors and clinical impact of postoperative symptomatic venous thromboembolism. J Vasc Surg. 2007;45:335–342. CrossRef
- Geerts WH, Pineo GF, Heit JA. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: the Seventh ACCP Conference on antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy. Chest. 2004;126:338S–400S. CrossRef
- Hall DL, Steen WH Jr, Drummond JW, Byrd WA. Anticoagulants and cataract surgery. Ophthalmic Surg. 1988;19:221–222.
- Heit JA, Elliott CG, Trowbridge AA. Ardeparin sodium for extended out-of-hospital prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism after total hip or knee replacement: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:853–861.
- Kearon C, Hirsh J. Management of anticoagulation before and after elective surgery. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:1506–1511. CrossRef
- Kearon C, Kahn SR, Agnelli G, Goldhaber S, Raskob GE, Comerota AJ. Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th ed). Chest. 2008;133(Suppl):454S–545S. CrossRef
- Kurtz SM, Ong KL, Mowat F, Halpern M. Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005–2030. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:780–785. CrossRef
- Kurtz SM, Ong KL, Schmier J, Mowat F, Saleh K, Dybvik E, Karrholm J, Garellick G, Havelin LI, Furnes O, Malchau H, Lau E. Future clinical and economic impact of revision total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(Suppl):144–151. CrossRef
- Leclerc JR, Gent M, Hirsh J. The incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism during and after prophylaxis with enoxaparin: a multi-institutional cohort study of patients who underwent hip or knee arthroplasty. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158:873–878. CrossRef
- Lieberman JR, Wollaeger J, Dorey F. The efficacy of prophylaxis with low-dose warfarin for prevention of pulmonary embolism following total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:319–325.
- McLemore EC, Harold KL, Cha SS, Johnson DJ, Fowl RJ. The safety of open inguinal herniorraphy in patients on chronic warfarin therapy. Am J Surg. 2006;192:860–864. CrossRef
- Morris A, Elder MJ. Warfarin therapy and cataract surgery. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2000;28:419–422. CrossRef
- Otley CC, Fewkes JL, Frank W, Obricht SM. Complications of cutaneous surgery in patients who are taking warfarin, aspirin, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Arch Dermatol. 1996;132:161–166. CrossRef
- Park YW, Thompson J. Effect of epidural anesthesia and analgesia on perioperative outcome. A randomized, controlled veterans affairs cooperative study. Ann Surg. 2001;234:560–571. CrossRef
- Peyton PJ, Myles PS, Silbert BS. Perioperative epidural analgesia and outcome after major abdominal surgery in high-risk patients. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:548–554. CrossRef
- Pelligrini VD, Donaldson CT, Farber DC. Prevention of readmission for venous thromboembolic disease after total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;441:56–62. CrossRef
- Pelligrini VD, Donaldson CT, Farber DC. The Mark Coventry Award: prevention of readmission for venous thromboembolic disease after knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;452:21–27. CrossRef
- Rigg J, Jamrozik K, Myles P. Epidural anesthesia and analgesia and outcome of major surgery: a randomized trial. Lancet. 2002;359:1276–1282. CrossRef
- Seyfer AE, Seaber AV, Dombrose FA, Urbaniak JR. Coagulation changes in elective surgery and trauma. Ann Surg. 1981;193:210–213. CrossRef
- Smit A, Hooper G. Elective hand surgery in patients taking warfarin. J Hand Surg Br. 2004;29:206–207. CrossRef
- Srinivasan AF, Rice L, Bartholomew JR, Rangaswamy C, LaPerna L, Thompson JE, Murphy S, Baker K. Warfarin-induced skin necrosis and venous limb gangrene in the setting of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:66–70. CrossRef
- Sutherland CJ, Schurman JR. Complications associated with warfarin prophylaxis in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987;219:158–162.
- Wahl MJ. Myths of dental surgery in patients receiving anticoagulant therapy. J Am Dent Assoc. 2000;131:77–81.
- Wallace DL, Latimer MD, Belcher HJ. Stopping warfarin therapy is unnecessary for hand surgery. J Hand Surg Br. 2004;29:203–205. CrossRef
- Warwick D, Whitehouse S. Symptomatic venous thromboembolism after total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997;79:780–786. CrossRef
- Warwick D, Williams MH, Bannister GC. Death and thromboembolic disease after total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995;77:6–10.
- Weiss P, Soff GA, Halkin H, Seligsohn U. Decline in proteins C and S and Factors II, VII, XI and X during the initiation of warfarin therapy. Thromb Res. 1987;45:783–790. CrossRef
- White RH, Zhou H, Romano PS. Incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism after different elective or urgent surgical procedures. Thromb Haemost. 2003;90:446–455.
- Discontinuation of Warfarin Is Unnecessary in Total Knee Arthroplasty
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 468, Issue 1 , pp 120-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors