Incidence of ‘Squeaking’ After Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Arthroplasty
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The incidence of hip “squeak” associated with ceramic-on-ceramic bearings has been variably reported, ranging from 0.7% to 20.9%. We determined the patients’ perception of squeaking in 306 patients (336 hips) in whom ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasties (THAs) were performed between 1997 and 2005. A questionnaire regarding hip noise was obtained by telephone. With a minimum followup of 2 years (mean, 3.9 years; range, 2–10 years), 290 patients (320 or 95% of the THAs) completed the questionnaire. Patients reported hip noise in 55 of the 320 THAs (17%); noise was perceived as squeak in 32 of the 320 (10%). Most squeaking hips (29 of 32) were pain-free and symptom-free. One patient was unhappy with his squeaking hip without pain. Our data suggest a much higher incidence of squeak as perceived by patients than previously reported.
Level of Evidence: Level II, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Bierbaum BE, Nairus J, Kuesis D, Morrison JC, Ward D. Ceramic-on-ceramic bearings in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;405:158–163. CrossRef
- Clarke IC, Manley MT. How do alternative bearing surfaces influence wear behavior? Implant Wear Symposium 2007 Engineering Work Group. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008;16(Suppl 1):S86–S93.
- Colwell CW Jr, Hozack WJ, Mesko JW, D’Antonio JA, Bierbaum BE, Capello WN, Jaffe WL, Mai KT. Ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty early dislocation rate. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;465:155–158.
- D’Antonio JA, Capello WN, Manley MT, Naughton M, Sutton K. A titanium-encased alumina ceramic bearing for total hip arthroplasty: 3- to 5-year results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;441:151–158. CrossRef
- Garino JP. Modern ceramic-on-ceramic total hip systems in the United States: early results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;379:41–47. CrossRef
- Hamadouche M, Boutin P, Daussange J, Bolander ME, Sedel L. Alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty: a minimum 18.5-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:69–77.
- Hannouche D, Hamadouche M, Nizard R, Bizot P, Meunier A, Sedel L. Ceramics in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;430:62–71. CrossRef
- Jarrett CA, Ranawat AS, Bruzzone M, Blum YC, Rodriguez JA, Ranawat CS. The squeaking hip: a phenomenon of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91:1344–1349. CrossRef
- Keurentjes JC, Kuipers RM, Wever DJ, Schreurs BW. High incidence of squeaking in THAs with alumina ceramic-on-ceramic bearings. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1438–1443. CrossRef
- Murphy SB, Ecker TM, Tannast M. Two- to 9-year clinical results of alumina ceramic-on-ceramic THA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;453:97–102. CrossRef
- Restrepo C, Parvizi J, Kurtz SM, Sharkey PF, Hozack WJ, Rothman RH. The noisy ceramic hip: is component malpositioning the cause? J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:643–649. CrossRef
- Rodriguez JA, Gonzalez DelaValle A, McCook N. Squeaking in total hip replacement: a cause for concern. Orthopedics. 2008;31:874, 877–878.
- Sedel L. Evolution of alumina-on-alumina implants: a review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;379:48–54. CrossRef
- Taylor S, Manley MT, Sutton K. The role of stripe wear in causing acoustic emissions from alumina ceramic-on-ceramic bearings. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22(Suppl 3):47–51. CrossRef
- Walter WL, Insley GM, Walter WK, Tuke MA. Edge loading in third generation alumina ceramic-on-ceramic bearings: stripe wear. J Arthroplasty. 2004;19:402–413. CrossRef
- Walter WL, O’Toole GC, Walter WK, Ellis A, Zicat BA. Squeaking in ceramic-on-ceramic hips: the importance of acetabular component orientation. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22:496–503. CrossRef
- Willmann G. Ceramic femoral head retrieval data. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;379:22–28. CrossRef
- Incidence of ‘Squeaking’ After Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Arthroplasty
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 468, Issue 2 , pp 413-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hanford Orthopaedics, Inc, Hanford, CA, USA
- 3. Shiley Center for Orthopaedic Research and Education at Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
- 2. Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Scripps Clinic, 10666 North Torrey Pines Road, MS116, La Jolla, CA, 92037, USA