Biopsy of Soft Tissue Masses: Evidence-based Medicine for the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The literature contains a number of controversies regarding key questions: (1) When is a biopsy indicated? (2) How should the biopsy be placed? (3) How should the biopsy be performed and which has the greatest diagnostic accuracy? (4) Who should perform the biopsy? (5) What clinical parameters present the greatest diagnostic difficulty? Using PubMed and Google Scholar we performed English-language literature searches of clinical studies reporting biopsy of soft tissue masses. Thirty-two studies met the inclusion criteria but were only able to address three of the five questions the authors had hoped to evaluate. Available evidence suggests open biopsy has the highest diagnostic accuracy over core needle biopsy, which was higher than fine needle aspiration. There was no evidence to address who is best suited to perform the biopsy (general surgeon, orthopaedic surgeon, radiologist, pathologist) in terms of accuracy of diagnosis. Frozen section at the time of biopsy may improve diagnostic accuracy. Diagnostic difficulty was associated with myxoid and round cell neoplasms, infections, and tumors located in the paraspinal region. The limited number of references addressing these issues demonstrated the need for more Level I research in the area of biopsy of soft tissue masses.
Level of Evidence: Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Altuntas AO, Slavin J, Smith PJ, Schlict SM, Powell GJ, Ngan S, Toner G, Choong PF. Accuracy of computed tomography guided core needle biopsy of musculoskeletal tumors. ANZ J Surg. 2005;75:187–191. CrossRef
- Ball AB, Fisher C, Pittam M, Watkins RM, Westbury G. Diagnosis of soft tissue tumors by Tru-Cut biopsy. Br J Surg. 1990;77:756–758. CrossRef
- Barth RJ Jr, Merino MJ, Solomon D, Yang YC, Baker AR. A prospective study of the value of core needle biopsy and fine needle aspiration in the diagnosis of soft tissue masses. Surgery. 1992;112:536–543.
- Barton MB, Miller T, Wolff T, Petitti D, LeFevre M, Sawaya G, Yawn B, Guirguis-Blake J, Calonge N, Harris R; US Preventive Services Task Force. How to read the new recommendation statement: methods update from the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:123–127.
- Carrino JA, Khurana B, Ready JE, Silverman SG, Winalski CS. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided percutaneous biopsy of musculoskeletal lesions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:2179–2187. CrossRef
- Costa MJ, Campman SC, Davis RL, Howell LP. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of sarcoma. Retrospective review of diagnostic utility and specificity. Diagn Cytopathol. 1996;15:23–32. CrossRef
- Das K, Hameed M, Heller D, Mirani N, Doty N, Benevenia J, Patterson F, Aisner S. Liquid-based vs conventional smears in fine needle aspiration of bone and soft tissue tumors. Acta Cytol. 2003;47:197–201.
- Domanski HA, Akerman M, Carlen B. Core-needle biopsy performed by the cytopathologist: a complement to FNA of soft tissue and bone lesions. Cancer. 2005;105:229–239. CrossRef
- Dupuy DE, Rosenberg AE, Punyaratabadhu T, Tan MH, Mankin HJ. Accuracy of CT-guided needle biopsy of musculoskeletal neoplasms. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998;171:759–762.
- Hau A, Kim I, Kattapuram S, Hornicek FJ, Rosenberg AE, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ. Accuracy of CT-guided biopsies in 359 patients with musculoskeletal lesions. Skeletal Radiol. 2002;31:349–353. CrossRef
- Hodge JC. Percutaneous biopsy of the musculoskeletal system: a review of 77 cases. Can Assoc Radiol J. 1999;50:121–125.
- Hoeber I, Spillane AJ, Fisher C, Thomas JM. Accuracy of biopsy techniques for limb and limb girdle soft tissue tumors. Ann Surg Oncol. 2001;8:80–87. CrossRef
- Issakov J, Flusser G, Kollender Y, Merimsky O, Lifschitz-Mercer B, Meller I. Computed tomography-guided core needle biopsy for bone and soft tissue tumors. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:28–30.
- Kissin MW, Fisher C, Carter RL, Horton LW, Westbury G. Value of Tru-Cut biopsy in the diagnosis of soft tissue tumors. Br J Surg. 1986;73:742–744. CrossRef
- Madhavan VP, Smile SR, Chandra SS, Ratnakar C. Value of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of soft tissue tumors. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2002;45:165–168.
- Maitra A, Ashfaq R, Saboorian MH, Lindberg G, Gokaslan ST. The role of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the primary diagnosis of mesenchymal lesions: a community hospital-based experience. Cancer. 2000;90:178–185. CrossRef
- Mitsuyoshi G, Naito N, Kawai A, Kunisada T, Yoshida A, Yanai H, Dendo S, Yoshino T, Kanazawa S, Ozaki T. Accurate diagnosis of musculoskeletal lesions by core needle biopsy. J Surg Oncol. 2006;94:21–27. CrossRef
- Moore TM, Meyers MH, Patzakis MJ, Terry R, Harvey JP Jr. Closed biopsy of musculoskeletal lesions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979;61:375–380.
- Moulton JS, Blebea JS, Dunco DM, Braley SE, Bisset GS 3rd, Emery KH. MR imaging of soft-tissue masses: diagnostic efficacy and value of distinguishing between benign and malignant lesions. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1995;164:1191–1199.
- Nagira K, Yamamoto T, Akisue T, Marui T, Hitora T, Nakatani T, Kurosaka M, Ohbayashi C. Reliability of FNA biopsy in the initial diagnosis of soft tissue lesions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2002;27:354–361. CrossRef
- Ogilvie CM, Torbert JT, Finstein JL, Fox EJ, Lackman RD. Clinical utility of percutaneous biopsies of musculoskeletal tumors. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;450:95–100. CrossRef
- Parkkola RK, Mattila KT, Heikkila JT, Ekfors TO, Komu ME, Vaara T, Aro HT. MR-guided core biopsies of soft tissue tumors on an open 0.23 T imager. Acta Radiol. 2001;42:302–305. CrossRef
- Puri A, Shingade VU, Agarwal MG, Anchan C, Juvekar S, Desai S, Jambhekar NA. CT-guided percutaneous core needle biopsy in deep seated musculoskeletal lesions: a prospective study of 128 cases. Skeletal Radiol. 2006;35:138–143. CrossRef
- Ray-Coquard I, Ranchère-Vince D, Thiesse P, Ghesquières H, Biron P, Sunyach MP, Rivoire M, Lancry L, Méeus P, Sebban C, Blay JY. Evaluation of core needle biopsy as a substitute to open biopsy in the diagnosis of soft-tissue masses. Eur J Cancer. 2003;39:2021–2025. CrossRef
- Rydholm A, Akerman M, Idvall I, Persson BM. Aspiration cytology of soft tissue tumors. A prospective study of its influence on choice of surgical procedure. Int Orthop. 1982;6:209–214.
- Serpell JW, Pitcher ME. Pre-operative core biopsy of soft-tissue tumors facilitates their surgical management. Aust N Z J Surg. 1998;68:345–349. CrossRef
- Skrzynski MC, Biermann JS, Montag A, Simon MA. Diagnostic accuracy and charge-savings of outpatient core needle biopsy compared with open biopsy of musculoskeletal tumors. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996;78:644–649.
- Smith TJ, Safail H, Foster EA, Reinhold RB. Accuracy and cost-effectiveness of fine needle aspiration biopsy. Am J Surg. 1985;149:540–545. CrossRef
- Soudack M, Nachtigal A, Vladovski E, Brook O, Gaitini D. Sonographically guided percutaneous needle biopsy of soft tissue masses with histopathologic correlation. J Ultrasound Med. 2006;25:1271–1277.
- Torriani M, Etchebehere M, Amstalden E. Sonographically guided core needle biopsy of bone and soft tissue tumors. J Ultrasound Med. 2002;21:275–281.
- Wakely PE, Kneisl JS. Soft tissue aspiration cytopathology. Diagnostic accuracy and limitations. Cancer. 2000;90:292–298. CrossRef
- Yang YJ, Damron TA. Comparison of needle core biopsy and fine-needle aspiration for diagnostic accuracy in musculoskeletal lesions. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004;128:759–764.
- Yeow KM, Tan CF, Chen JS, Hsueh C. Diagnostic sensitivity of ultrasound-guided needle biopsy in soft tissue masses about superficial bone lesions. J Ultrasound Med. 2000;19:849–855.
- Biopsy of Soft Tissue Masses: Evidence-based Medicine for the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 467, Issue 11 , pp 2783-2791
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Indiana Orthopaedic Hospital, 8450 Northwest Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN, 46278, USA
- 2. Sinai Hospital Cancer Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 3. University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- 4. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA