Case Report: Rhodococcus erythropolis Osteomyelitis in the Toe
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Rhodococcus species rarely cause musculoskeletal infections, with only two cases reported in the literature. We report the case of a 53-year-old woman who had an infection develop after first metatarsophalangeal joint fusion. A year after surgery, she continued to have pain and swelling with nonunion. She underwent revision of the arthrodesis and tissue samples from surgery revealed Rhodococcus erythropolis. The patient’s symptoms improved with oral antibiotics. One year after the revision surgery, the fusion had united. We believe this is the first report of a case of a musculoskeletal infection caused by Rhodococcus erythropolis.
- Arya B, Hussian S, Hariharan S. Rhodococcus equi pneumonia in a renal transplant patient: a case report and review of literature. Clin Transplant. 2004;18:748–752. CrossRef
- Brown JM, McNeil MM. Nocardia, Rhodococcus, Gordonia, Actinomadura and other aerobic actinomycetes. In: Murray PR, Baron EJ, Jorgensen JH, Pfaller MA, Yolken RH, eds. Manual of Clinical Microbiology. Ed 8. Washington, DC: ASM Press; 2004:502–531.
- Fischer L, Sterneck M, Albrecht H, Krupski G, Polywka S, Rogiers X, Broelsch CE. Vertebral osteomyelitis due to Rhodococcus equi in a liver transplant recipient. Clin Infect Dis. 1998;26:749–752. CrossRef
- Graham JE, Moore JE, Jiru X, Moore JE, Goodall EA, Dooley JS, Hayes VE, Dartt DA, Downes CS, Moore TC. Ocular pathogen or commensal: a PCR-based study of surface bacterial flora in normal and dry eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:5616–5623. CrossRef
- Larkin MJ, Kulakov LA, Allen CC. Biodegradation by members of the genus Rhodococcus: biochemistry, physiology, and genetic adaptation. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2006;59:1–29. CrossRef
- Novak RM, Polisky EL, Janda WM, Libertin CR. Osteomyelitis caused by Rhodococcus equi in a renal transplant recipient. Infection. 1988;16:186–188. CrossRef
- Olsen AB, Birkbeck TH, Nilsen HK, MacPherson HL, Wangel C, Myklebust C, Laidler LA, Aarflot L, Thoen E, Nygård S, Thayumanavan T, Colquhoun DJ. Vaccine-associated systemic Rhodococcus erythropolis infection in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Dis Aquat Organ. 2006;72:9–17. CrossRef
- Ulivieri S, Oliveri G. Cerebellar abscess due to Rhodococcus equi in an immunocompetent patient: case report and literature review. J Neurosurg Sci. 2006;50:127–129.
- Vernazza PL, Bodmer T, Galeazzi RL. Rhodococcus erythropolis infection in HIV-associated immunodeficiency [in German]. Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 1991;121:1095–1098.
- Von Below H, Wilk CM, Schaal KP, Naumann GO. Rhodococcus luteus and Rhodococcus erythropolis chronic endophthalmitis after lens implantation. Am J Ophthalmol. 1991;112:596–597.
- Case Report: Rhodococcus erythropolis Osteomyelitis in the Toe
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 467, Issue 11 , pp 3029-3031
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Trauma & Orthopaedics, Harrogate District Hospital, Lancaster Park Road, Harrogate, HG2 7SX, UK
- 2. Department of Microbiology, Harrogate District Hospital, Harrogate, UK