Does Concomitant Low Back Pain Affect Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty Outcomes?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The number of revision total knee arthroplasties (rev-TKA) is increasing every year. These cases are technically difficult and add considerable burden on the healthcare system. Many patients have concomitant low back pain that may interfere with functional outcome. We asked whether having low back pain at baseline would influence amount and rate of improvement on standardized outcomes measures after rev-TKA. We retrospectively reviewed 308 patients from prospectively collected data in a multicenter study. A minimum 24-month followup was available for 221 patients (71.8%). Patients with low back pain at baseline had worse scores on most instruments than their counterparts at baseline, 12 months postsurgery, and 24 months postsurgery. The data suggest concomitant back pain in patients undergoing rev-TKA affects their outcomes as measured by standardized instruments. Orthopaedic surgeons should counsel their patients with back pain regarding the possibility of slower or less complete recovery.
Level of Evidence: Level II, prognostic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. National Hospital Discharge Survey, 1991–2004. US Department of Health and Human Services; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Center for Health Statistics. Available at: http://www.aaos.org/Research/stats/Knee%20Revision%20Chart.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2008.
- Bellamy N, Buchanan WW. Outcome measurement in osteoarthritis clinical trials: the case for standardization. Clin Rheumatol. 1984;3:293–303. CrossRef
- Bellamy N, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith CH, Campbell J, Stitt LW. Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol. 1988;15:1833–1840.
- Bozic KJ, Durbhakula S, Berry DJ, Naessens JM, Rappaport K, Cisternas M, Saleh KJ, Rubash HE. Differences in patient and procedure characteristics and hospital resource use in primary and revision total joint arthroplasty: a multicenter study. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20(suppl 3):17–25. CrossRef
- Callahan CM, Drake BG, Heck DA, Dittus RS. Patient outcomes following tricompartmental total knee replacement: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 1994;271:1349–1357. CrossRef
- Crowninshield RD, Rosenberg AG, Sporer SM. Changing demographics of patients with total joint replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;443:266–272. CrossRef
- Deshmukh RV, Scott RD. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: long-term results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001;392:272–278. CrossRef
- Escobar A, Quintana JM, Bilbao A, Azkarate J, Guenaga JI, Arenaza JC, Gutierrez LF. Effect of patient characteristics on reported outcomes after total knee replacement. Rheumatology. 2007;46:112–119. CrossRef
- Ethgen O, Bruyère O, Richy F, Dardennes C, Reginster JY. Health-related quality of life in total hip and total knee arthroplasty: a qualitative and systematic review of the literature. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:963–974.
- Hartley RC, Barton-Hanson NG, Finley R, Parkinson RW. Early patient outcomes after primary and revision total knee arthroplasty: a prospective study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2002;84:994–999. CrossRef
- Hawker G, Melfi C, Paul J, Green R, Bombardier C. Comparison of a generic (SF-36) and a disease specific (WOMAC) (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index) instrument in the measurement of outcomes after knee replacement surgery. J Rheumatol. 1995;22:1193–1196.
- Hawker G, Wright J, Coyte P, Paul J, Dittus R, Croxford R, Katz B, Bombardier C, Heck D, Freund D. Health-related quality of life after knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:163–173.
- Heck DA, Robinson RL, Partridge CM, Lubitz RM, Freund DA. Patient outcomes after knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998;356:93-110. CrossRef
- Insall JN, Dorr LD, Scott RD, Norman WS. Rationale of the Knee Society clinical rating system. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989;248:13–14.
- Kane RL, Saleh KJ, Wilt TJ, Bershadsky B. The functional outcomes of total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:1719–1724. CrossRef
- Kane RL, Saleh KJ, Wilt TJ, Bershadsky B, Cross WW III, MacDonald RM, Rutks I. Total knee replacement. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2003;86:1–8.
- Kennedy DM, Stratford PW, Riddle DL, Hanna SE, Golish JD. Assessing recovery and establishing prognosis following total knee arthroplasty. Phys Ther. 2008;88:22–32.
- Kurtz S, Mowat F, Ong K, Chan N, Lau E, Halpern M. Prevalence of primary and revision total hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 1990 through 2002. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:1487–1497. CrossRef
- Kurtz S, Ong K, Lau E, Mowat F, Halpern M. Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:780–785. CrossRef
- Kurtz SM, Ong KL, Schmier J, Zhao K, Mowat F, Lau E. Primary and revision arthroplasty surgery caseloads in the United States from 1990 to 2004. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24:195–203. CrossRef
- Lavernia C, Lee DJ, Hernandez VH. The increasing financial burden of knee revision surgery in the United States. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;446:221–226. CrossRef
- Lequesne M. Indices of severity and disease activity for osteoarthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1991;20(6):48–54. CrossRef
- Lingard EA, Katz JN, Wright RJ, Wright EA, Sledge CB, Kinemax Outcomes Group. Validity and responsiveness of the Knee Society Clinical Rating System in comparison with the SF-36 and WOMAC. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:1856–1864.
- McHorney CA, Ware JE Jr, Lu JF, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): III. Tests of data quality, scaling assumptions, and reliability across diverse patient groups. Med Care. 1994;32:40–66. CrossRef
- McHorney CA, Ware JE Jr, Raczek AE. The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs. Med Care. 1993;31:247–263. CrossRef
- National Arthritis Data Workgroup. Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:26–35. CrossRef
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services. Handout on Health: Backpain. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 2005. NIH Publication No 05-5282.
- Rand JA, Ilstrup DM. Survivorship analysis of total knee arthroplasty: cumulative rates of survival of 9200 total knee arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991;73:397–409.
- Rasanen P, Paavolainen P, Sintonen H, Koivisto AM, Blom M, Ryynanen OP, Roine RP. Effectiveness of hip or knee replacement surgery in terms of quality-adjusted life years and costs. Acta Orthop. 2007;78:108–115. CrossRef
- Saleh KJ, Mulhall K, Bershadsky B, Ghomrawi H, White LE, Buyea CM, Krackow K. Development and validation of a lower-extremity activity scale: use for patients treated with revision total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:1985–1994. CrossRef
- Saleh KJ, Santos ER, Ghomrawi HM, Parvizi J, Muhall KJ. Socioeconomic issues and demographics of total knee arthroplasty revision. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;446:15–21. CrossRef
- Shields RK, Enloe LJ, Leo KC. Health related quality of life in patients with total hip or knee replacement. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80:572–579. CrossRef
- Ware JE Jr, Sherborne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care. 1992;30:473–483. CrossRef
- Whitehouse SL, Lingard EA, Katz JN, Learmonth ID. Development and testing of a reduced WOMAC function scale. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003;85:706–711.
- Does Concomitant Low Back Pain Affect Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty Outcomes?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 467, Issue 10 , pp 2623-2629
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors