Do Intraoperative Radiographs in Scoliosis Surgery Reflect Radiographic Result?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is often difficult to predict postoperative radiographic curve magnitude and balance parameters while performing intraoperative correction during scoliosis surgery. We asked whether there was a radiographic correlation between intraoperative long-cassette scoliosis film and postoperative standing radiographs of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis with pedicle screw instrumentation. We retrospectively reviewed 44 patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis who underwent posterior instrumentation with pedicle screws. We made preoperative, intraoperative (after instrumentation and correction), and standing postoperative radiographic measurements (eg, curve magnitudes, coronal and sagittal balance, disc angles) and compared those for the intra- and postoperative radiographs. The intraoperative long-cassette scoliosis film correlated with the immediate postoperative standing film for all curve correction and balance parameters. The routine use of a long-cassette intraoperative scoliosis film provides the surgeon with a valuable tool to guide intraoperative decision-making and foreshadows the correction and balance obtained on the immediate postoperative film.
Level of Evidence: Level IV, retrospective study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Acikbas SC, Tuncer MR. New method for intraoperative determination of proper screw insertion or screw malposition. J Neurosurg. 2000;93:40–44.
- Belmont PJ Jr, Klemme WR, Dhawan A, Polly DW Jr. In vivo accuracy of thoracic pedicle screws. Spine. 2001;26:2340–2346. CrossRef
- D’Andrea LP, Betz RR, Lenke LG, Clements DH, Lowe TG, Merola A, Haher T, Harms J, Huss GK, Blanke K, McGlothlen S. Do radiographic parameters correlate with clinical outcomes in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis? Spine. 2000;25:1795–1802. CrossRef
- Jamieson D, Perdios A, Varghese R, Reilly CW. The use of CT in the development and implementation of a preoperative protocol to aid in pedicle screw placement during scoliosis surgery. Pediatr Radiol. 2008;38:452–456. CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH, Cho YS, Riew KD. Free hand pedicle screw placement in the thoracic spine: is it safe? Spine. 2004;29:333–342. CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lenke LG, Cheh G, Riew KD. Evaluation of pedicle screw placement in the deformed spine using intraoperative plain radiographs: a comparison with computerized tomography. Spine. 2005;30:2084–2088. CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lenke LG, Cho SK, Bridwell KH, Sides B, Blanke K. Comparative analysis of pedicle screw versus hook instrumentation in posterior spinal fusion of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2004;29:2040–2048. CrossRef
- Kim YJ, Lenke LG, Kim J, Bridwell KH, Cho SK, Cheh G, Sides B. Comparative analysis of pedicle screw versus hybrid instrumentation in posterior spinal fusion of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2006;31:291–298. CrossRef
- Kuklo TR, Lenke LG, O’Brien MF, Lehman RA Jr, Polly DW Jr, Schroeder TM. Accuracy and efficacy of thoracic pedicle screws in curves more than 90º. Spine. 2005;30:222–226. CrossRef
- Kuklo TR, Potter BK, Lenke LG. Vertebral rotation and thoracic torsion in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: what is the best radiographic correlate? J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005;18:139–147. CrossRef
- Kuklo TR, Potter BK, Schroeder TM, O’Brien MF. Comparison of manual and digital measurements in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2006; 31:1240–1246. CrossRef
- Learch TJ, Massie JB, Pathria MN, Ahlgren BA, Garfin SR. Assessment of pedicle screw placement utilizing conventional radiography and computed tomography: a proposed systematic approach to improve accuracy of interpretation. Spine. 2004;29:767–773. CrossRef
- Lehman RA Jr, Lenke LG, Keeler KA, Kim YJ, Buchowski JM, Cheh G, Kuhns CA, Bridwell KH. Operative treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis with posterior pedicle screw-only constructs; minimum three-year follow-up of one hundred fourteen cases. Spine. 2008;33:1598–1604. CrossRef
- Lehman RA Jr, Sasso RC, Helgeson MD, Dmitriev AE, Gill NW, Rosner MR, Riew DK. Accuracy of intraoperative plain radiographs to detect violations of intralaminar screws placed into the C2 vertebrae: a reliability study. Spine. 2007;32:3036–3040. CrossRef
- Lenke LG, Betz RR, Harms J, Bridwell KH, Clements DH, Lowe TG, Blanke K. Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a new classification to determine extent of spinal arthrodesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:1169–1181.
- Lowenstein JE, Matsumoto H, Vitale MG, Weidenbaum M, Gomez JA, Lee FY, Hyman JE, Roye DP Jr. Coronal and sagittal plane correction in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a comparison between all pedicle screw versus hybrid thoracic hook lumbar screw constructs. Spine. 2007;32:448–452. CrossRef
- Mok JM, Berven SH, Diab M, Hackbarth M, Hu SS, Deviren V. Comparison of observer variation in conventional and three digital radiographic methods used in the evaluation of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2008;33:681–686. CrossRef
- O’Brien MF, Kuklo TR, Blanke KM, Lenke LG, eds. Spinal Deformity Study Group Radiographic Measurement Manual. Minneapolis, MN: Medtronic Sofamor Danek, Inc; 2005.
- Potter BK, Kuklo TR, Lenke LG. Radiographic outcomes of anterior spinal fusion versus posterior spinal fusion with thoracic pedicle screws for treatment of Lenke type I adolescent idiopathic scoliosis curves. Spine. 2005;30:1859–1866. CrossRef
- Sabharwal S, Zhao C. Assessment of lower limb alignment: supine fluoroscopy compared with a standing full-length radiograph. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:43–51. CrossRef
- Sapkas GS, Papadakis SA, Stathakopoulos DP, Papagelopoulos PJ, Badekas AC, Kaiser JH. Evaluation of pedicle screw position in thoracic and lumbar spine fixation using plain radiographs and computed tomography. A prospective study of 35 patients. Spine. 1999;24:1926–1929. CrossRef
- Smorgick Y, Millgram MA, Anekstein Y, Floman Y, Mirovsky Y. Accuracy and safety of thoracic pedicle screw placement in spinal deformities. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005;18:522–526. CrossRef
- Suk SI, Kim WJ, Lee SM, Kim JH, Chung ER. Thoracic pedicle screw fixation in spinal deformities: are they really safe? Spine. 2001;26:2049–2057. CrossRef
- Suk SI, Lee CK, Kim WJ, Chung YJ, Park YBl. Segmental pedicle screw fixation in the treatment of thoracic idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 1995;20:1399–1405.
- Yazici M, Acaroglu ER, Alanay A, Deviren V, Cila A, Surat A. Measurement of vertebral rotation in standing versus supine position in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2001;21:252–256. CrossRef
- Do Intraoperative Radiographs in Scoliosis Surgery Reflect Radiographic Result?
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 468, Issue 3 , pp 679-686
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pediatric and Adult Spine, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
- 4. Pediatric and Adult Spine, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 1528 Blue Meadow Road, Potomac, MD, 20854, USA
- 3. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
- 2. Orthopaedic Surgery Service, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA