Case Reports: Two Femoral Insufficiency Fractures after Long-term Alendronate Therapy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bisphosphonates are widely used for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Although short-term safety and efficacy of these drugs have been investigated and documented, an increasing number of recent reports draw attention to the possible correlation between long-term alendronate therapy and the occurrence of insufficiency fractures in the proximal femur owing to what is known as severely suppressed bone turnover. We describe two femoral insufficiency fractures in two women receiving long-term alendronate therapy. The first woman sustained a periprosthetic fracture at the tip of the femoral stem whereas the other woman had a fracture in the subtrochanteric region. We analyze the characteristics and natural course of these two unique fractures, and emphasize the importance of being aware of the possible correlation between long-term alendronate therapy and insufficiency femoral fractures.
- Black D, Schwartz A, Ensrud K, Rybak-Feiglin A, Gupta J, Lombardi A, Wallace R, Levis S, Quandt S, Satterfield S, Cauley J, Cummings S. A 5 year randomized trial of the long-term efficacy and safety of alendronate. J Bone Mineral Res. 2004;10(suppl 1):S45.
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, Bauer DC, Genant HK, Haskell WL, Marcus R, Ott SM, Torner JC, Quandt SA, Reiss TF, Ensrud KE. Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet. 1996;348:1535–1541. CrossRef
- Bone HG, Schurr W. Intravenous bisphosphonate therapy for osteoporosis: where do we stand? Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2004;2:24–30. CrossRef
- Chalmers J. Subtrochanteric fractures in osteomalacia. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1970;52:509–513.
- Cheung RK, Leung KK, Lee KC, Chow TC. Sequential non-traumatic femoral shaft fractures in a patient on long-term alendronate. Hong Kong Med J. 2007;13:485–489.
- Cummings SR, Black DM, Thompson DE, Applegate WB, Barrett-Connor E, Musliner TA, Palermo L, Prineas R, Rubin SM, Scott JC, Vogt T, Wallace R, Yates AJ, LaCroix AZ. Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA. 1998;280:2077–2082. CrossRef
- Currey JD. Effects of differences in mineralization on the mechanical properties of bone. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1984;304:509–518. CrossRef
- Esterberg J, Kassim RA, Redmon J, Coad J, Macari GS, Saleh KJ. Hip pain in a case of hypophosphatemic osteomalacia. Am J Orthop. 2003;32:455–458.
- Fleisch H. Bisphosphonates: mechanisms of action. Endocr Rev. 1998;19:80–100. CrossRef
- Gill TJ, Sledge JB, Orler R, Ganz R. Lateral insufficiency fractures of the femur caused by osteopenia and varus angulation: a complication of total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 1999;14:982–987. CrossRef
- Goh SK, Yang KY, Koh JS, Wong MK, Chua SY, Chua DT, Howe TS. Subtrochanteric insufficiency fractures in patients on alendronate therapy: a caution. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:349–353. CrossRef
- Kleerekoper M. Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss and treatment of osteoporosis. Semin Reprod Med. 2005;23:141–148. CrossRef
- Kundu ZS, Marya KM, Devgan A, Yadav V, Rohilla S. Subtrochanteric fracture managed by intramedullary nail in a patient with pycnodysostosis. Joint Bone Spine. 2004;71:154–156. CrossRef
- Kwek EB, Goh SK, Koh JS, Png MA, Howe TS. An emerging pattern of subtrochanteric stress fractures: a long-term complication of alendronate therapy? Injury. 2008;39:224–231. CrossRef
- Lenart BA, Lorich DG, Lane JM. Atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis in postmenopausal women taking alendronate. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1304–1306. CrossRef
- Lindahl H. Epidemiology of periprosthetic femur fracture around total hip arthroplasty. Injury. 2007;38:651–654. CrossRef
- Morgan G, Ganapathi M, Afzal S, Grant AJ. Pathological fractures in primary hyperparathyroidism: a case report highlighting diagnostic difficulties. Injury. 2002;33:288–291. CrossRef
- Neviaser AS, Lane JM, Lenart BA, Edobor-Osula F, Lorich DG. Low-energy femoral shaft fractures associated with alendronate use. J Orthop Trauma. 2008;22:346–350. CrossRef
- Odvina CV, Zerwekh JE, Rao DS, Maalouf N, Gottschalk FA, Pak CY. Severely suppressed bone turnover: a potential complication of alendronate therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:1294–1301. CrossRef
- Ott S. Long-term safety of bisphosphonates. Editorial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:1897–1899. CrossRef
- Pauwels F. [The significance of the structural principles of the locomotor apparatus to resist the forces applied on long bones] [in German]. Anat Embryol. 1948;114:1–2. CrossRef
- Roth VG. Pycnodysostosis presenting with bilateral subtrochanteric fractures: case report. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;117:247–253.
- Sayed-Noor AS, Sjödén GO. Subtrochanteric displaced insufficiency fracture after long-term alendronate therapy: a case report. Acta Orthop. 2008;79:565–567. CrossRef
- Schneider JP. Should bisphosphonates be continued indefinitely? An unusual fracture in a healthy woman on long-term alendronate. Geriatrics. 2006;61:31–33.
- Schnitzler CM, Wing JR, Gear KA, Robson HJ. Bone fragility of the peripheral skeleton during fluoride therapy for osteoporosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;261:268–275.
- Tonino RP, Meunier PJ, Emkey R, Rodriguez-Portales JA, Menkes CJ, Wasnich RD, Bone HG, Santora AC, Wu M, Desai R, Ross PD. Skeletal benefits of alendronate: 7-year treatment of postmenopausal osteoporotic women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:3109–3115. CrossRef
- Case Reports: Two Femoral Insufficiency Fractures after Long-term Alendronate Therapy
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®
Volume 467, Issue 7 , pp 1921-1926
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors