DEXA as a Predictor of Fixator Removal in Distraction Osteogenesis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Premature removal of the fixator after a lengthening procedure can result in gradual bending or acute fracture of the regenerate. We reviewed the records of 26 patients who underwent 28 limb lengthenings between 1997 and 2005 to assess the post lengthening regenerate fracture rate and bone healing index when using dual energy xray absorptiometry (DEXA) to aid in deciding on when to remove the fixator. Sixteen male and 10 female patients with an average age at lengthening of 12.3 years underwent an average lengthening of 5.2 cm (range, 3–9.1 cm). Nineteen femurs and nine tibiae were lengthened. Serial monthly DEXA scans were analyzed for bone mineral density. Bone healing indices and post fixator removal complications were assessed. The fixators were removed once the bone mineral density had plateaued to a less than 10% increase and plain radiographs showed no obvious defects precluding fixator removal. There were no regenerate fractures and only one fracture in the proximal segment of the lengthened bone after apparatus removal and the healing index for the series averaged 47 d/cm (range, 20–73 d/cm). Using serial DEXA scans during the consolidation phase of lengthening has a low rate (3.6%) of fractures while maintaining an acceptable bone healing index without excessively increasing fixation time.
Level of Evidence: Level IV, therapeutic retrospective study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Aarnes GT, Steen H, Ludvigsen P, Waanders NA, Huiskes R, Goldstein SA. In vivo assessment of regenerate axial stiffness in distraction osteogenesis. J Orthop Res. 2005;23:494–498. CrossRef
- Abe M, Shirai H, Okamoto M, Onomura T. Lengthening of the forearm by callus distraction. J Hand Surg [Br]. 1996;21:151–163.
- Aldegheri R. Distraction osteogenesis for lengthening of the tibia in patients who have limb-length discrepancy or short stature. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999;81:624–634.
- Antoci V, Ono CM, Antoci V, Jr, Raney EM. Bone lengthening in children: how to predict the complications rate and complexity? J Pediatr Orthop. 2006;26:634–640.
- Birch JG, Samchukov ML. Use of the Ilizarov method to correct lower limb deformities in children and adolescents. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004;12:144–154.
- Cattermole HC, Cook JE, Fordham JN, Muckle DS, Cunningham JL. Bone mineral changes during tibial fracture healing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;339:190–196. CrossRef
- Codivilla A. On the means of lengthening, in the lower limbs, the muscles and tissues which are shortened through deformity. 1905. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1905;s2–2:353–369.
- Danziger MB, Kumar A, DeWeese J. Fractures after femoral lengthening using the Ilizarov method. J Pediatr Orthop. 1995;15:220–223.
- Dinah AF. Predicting duration of Ilizarov frame treatment for tibial lengthening. Bone. 2004;34:845–848. CrossRef
- Eldridge JC, Bell DF. Problems with substantial limb lengthening. Orthop Clin North Am. 1991;22:625–631.
- Eski M, Ilgan S, Cil Y, Sengezer M, Ozcan A, Yapici K. Assessment of distraction regenerate using quantitative bone scintigraphy. Ann Plast Surg. 2007;58:328–334. CrossRef
- Eyres KS, Bell MJ, Kanis JA. Methods of assessing new bone formation during limb lengthening. Ultrasonography, dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and radiography compared. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993;75:358–364.
- Eyres KS, Bell MJ, Kanis JA. New bone formation during leg lengthening. Evaluated by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993;75:96–106.
- Fischgrund J, Paley D, Suter C. Variables affecting time to bone healing during limb lengthening. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;301:31–37.
- Garcia-Cimbrelo E, Olsen B, Ruiz-Yague M, Fernandez-Baillo N, Munuera-Martinez L. Ilizarov technique. Results and difficulties. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;283:116–123.
- Ilizarov GA. Clinical application of the tension-stress effect for limb lengthening. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;250:8–26.
- Kawano M, Taki J, Tsuchiya H, Tomita K, Tonami N. Predicting the outcome of distraction osteogenesis by 3-phase bone scintigraphy. J Nucl Med. 2003;44:369–374.
- Maffulli N, Cheng JC, Sher A, Lam TP. Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry predicts bone formation in lower limb callotasis lengthening. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1997;79:250–256.
- Njeh CF, Fuerst T, Hans D, Blake GM, Genant HK. Radiation exposure in bone mineral density assessment. Appl Radiat Isot. 1999;50:215–236. CrossRef
- Noonan KJ, Leyes M, Forriol F, Canadell J. Distraction osteogenesis of the lower extremity with use of monolateral external fixation. A study of two hundred and sixty-one femora and tibiae. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:793–806.
- Paley D. Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening by the Ilizarov technique. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;250:81–104.
- Paley D, Herzenberg JE, Paremain G, Bhave A. Femoral lengthening over an intramedullary nail. A matched-case comparison with Ilizarov femoral lengthening. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:1464–1480.
- Reichel H, Lebek S, Alter C, Hein W. Biomechanical and densitometric bone properties after callus distraction in sheep. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998;357:237–246. CrossRef
- Reiter A, Sabo D, Pfeil J, Cotta H. Quantitative assessment of callus distraction using dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. Int Orthop. 1997;21:35–40. CrossRef
- Saraph V, Roposch A, Zwick E-B, Linhart WE. Tibial lengthening over nails in children using modified Ender nails: preliminary results of a new treatment. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2004;13:383–388.
- Shrimpton PC, Wall BF, Hart D. Diagnostic medical exposures in the U.K. Appl Radiat Isot. 1999;50:261–269. CrossRef
- Simpson AH, Cole AS, Kenwright J. Leg lengthening over an intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:1041–1045. CrossRef
- Skaggs DL, Leet AI, Money MD, Shaw BA, Hale JM, Tolo VT. Secondary fractures associated with external fixation in pediatric femur fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 1999;19:582–586. CrossRef
- Stanitski DF, Shahcheraghi H, Nicker DA, Armstrong PF. Results of tibial lengthening with the Ilizarov technique. J Pediatr Orthop. 1996;16:168–172.
- Starr KA, Fillman R, Raney EM. Reliability of radiographic assessment of distraction osteogenesis site. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004;24:26–29.
- Tjernstrom B, Thoumas KA, Pech P. Bone remodeling after leg lengthening: evaluation with plain radiographs, and computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging scans. J Pediatr Orthop. 1992;12:751–755.
- Velazquez RJ, Bell DF, Armstrong PF, Babyn P, Tibshirani R. Complications of use of the Ilizarov technique in the correction of limb deformities in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75:1148–1156.
- DEXA as a Predictor of Fixator Removal in Distraction Osteogenesis
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 12 , pp 2955-2961
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors