Topics in Global Public Health
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deficiencies in the delivery of musculoskeletal trauma care in low- and middle-income countries can be attributed to a variety of causes, all of which can be linked to failure of the health system to deliver the necessary services to prevent death and disability. As such, a “systems” approach will be required to improve the delivery of services. The goal of this review is to familiarize the orthopaedic surgeon with selected topics in public health, including health systems, burden of disease, disability adjusted life year (DALY), cost-effective analysis, and related concepts (eg, met versus unmet need, access, utilization, effective coverage).
- Allotey P, Reidpath DD, Kouame A, Cummins R. The DALY, context and the determinants of the severity of disease: An exploratory comparison of paraplegia in Australia and Cameroon. Soc Sci Med. 2003;57:949–958. CrossRef
- Anand S, Hanson K. Disability-adjusted life years: A critical review. J Health Econ. 1997;16:685–702. CrossRef
- Arnesen T, Kapirini L. Can the value choices in DALY’s influence global priority-setting? Health Policy. 2004;70:137–139. CrossRef
- Arnesen T, Nord E. The value of DALY life: Problems with ethics and validity of disability adjusted life years. BMJ. 1999;319:1423–1425.
- Baltussen R, Sylla M, Mariotti SP. Cost-effectiveness analysis of cataract surgery: a global and regional analysis. Bull World Health Org. 2004;82:338–345.
- Begg S, Tomijima N. Global burden of injury in the year 2000: An overview of methods. Available at: http://www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/statistics/bod_injuries.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Beveridge M, Howard A. The burden of orthopedic disease in developing countries. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:1819–1822.
- Bickler SW, Sanno-Duanda B. Epidemiology of pediatric surgical admissions to a government referral hospital in the Gambia. Bull World Health Org. 2000;78:1330–1336.
- Debas HT, Gosselin RA, McCord C, Thind A. Surgery. In: Jamison DT, Breman JG, Measham AR, Alleyne G, Claeson M, Evans DB, Jha P, Mills A, Musgrove P, eds. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries (2nd ed). New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2006:1245–1260.
- Gold MR, Seigel JE, Russel LB, Weinstein MC. Cost-effectiveness in Health and Medicine. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1996.
- Gosselin RA, Heitto M. Cost-effectiveness of a district trauma hospital in Battambang, Cambodia. World J Surg. In press, doi:10.1007/s00268-008-9708-4.
- Gosselin RA, Thind A, Bellardinelli A. Cost/DALY averted in a small hospital in Sierra Leone: What is the relative contribution of different services? World J Surg. 2006;30:505–511. CrossRef
- Islam M, ed. Health systems assessment approach: A how-to manual. Submitted to the U.S. Agency for International Development in collaboration with Health Systems 20/20, Partners for Health Reformplus, Quality Assurance Program, and Rational Pharmaceutical Management Plus, Arlington, VA: Management Sciences for Health. Available at: http://www.healthsystems2020.org/content/resource/detail/528/). Accessed 8 June 2008.
- Laxminarayan R, Mills AJ, Breman JG, Measham AR, Alleyne G, Claeson M, Jha P, Musgrove P, Chow J, Shahid-Salles S, Jamison DT. Advancement of global health: key messages from the Disease Control Priorities Project. Lancet. 2006;367:1193–1208. CrossRef
- Lopez AD, Mathers CD, Ezzati M, Jamison DT, Murray CJL, eds. Global Burden of Disease, Risk Factors. New York, NY: World Bank and Oxford University Press; 2006.
- Lozano R, Soliz P, Gakidou E, Abbott-Klafter J, Feehan DM, Vidal C, Ortiz JP, Murray CJ. Benchmarking of performance of Mexican states with effective coverage. Lancet. 2006;368:1729–1741. CrossRef
- Mathers CD, Bernard C, Iburg KM, Inoue M, Ma Fat D, Shibuya K, Stein C, Tomijima N, Xu H. Global Burden of Disease in 2002: data sources, methods, and results. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper54.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Mathers CD, Loncar D. Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e442. CrossRef
- McCord C, Chowdhury Q. A cost effective small hospital in Bangladesh: what it can mean for emergency obstetric care. Int J Gynaec Obstet. 2003;81:83–92. CrossRef
- Mock CN, Adzotor KE, Conklin E, Denno DM, Jurkovich GJ. Trauma outcomes in the rural developing world: comparison with an urban level I trauma center. J Trauma. 1993;35:518–523. CrossRef
- Mock CN, Arreola-Risa C, Quansah R. Strengthening care for injured persons in less developed countries: a case study of Ghana and Mexico. Inj Control Saf Promot. 2003;10:45–51. CrossRef
- Mock C, Boland E, Acheampong F, Adjei S. Long-term injury related disability in Ghana. Dis Rehab. 2003;25:723–741.
- Murray CJL. Quantifying the burden of disease: The technical basis for disability-adjusted life years. Bull World Health Org. 1994;72:429–445.
- Murray CJL, Acharya AK. Understanding DALYs. J Health Econ. 1997;16:703–730. CrossRef
- Murray CJL, Evans DB, Acharya AK, Baltussen R. Development of WHO guidelines on generalized cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Econ. 2000;9:235–251. CrossRef
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD, eds. The Global Burden of Disease: A Comprehensive Assessment of Mortality and Disability From Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors in 1990 and Projected to 2020. Boston, MA: Harvard School of Public Health; 1996.
- Norton R, Hyder AA, Bishai D, Peden M. Unintentional injuries. In: Jamison D, Evans D, Alleyne G, Jha P, Breman J, Measham A, et al., eds. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries (2nd Ed). New York: Oxford University Press; 2006:737–753.
- Penchansky R, Thomas JW. The concept of access: Definition and relationship to consumer satisfaction. Medical Care. 1981;19:127–140. CrossRef
- Reidpath DD, Allotey P, Kouame A, Cummins R. Measuring health in a vacuum: Examining the disability weight of the DALY. Health Pol Plan. 2003;18:351–356. CrossRef
- Shengelia B, Murray CJL, Adams OB. Beyond access and utilization: Defining and measuring health system coverage. In: Murray CJL, Evans DB, eds. Health Syetems Performance Assessment. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2003:221–234.
- Shengelia B, Tandon A, Adams OB, Muray CJL. Access, utilization, quality, and effective coverage: An integrated conceptual framework and measurement strategy. Soc Sci Med. 2005;61:97–109. CrossRef
- WHO annex. Table 3: Disability weights. Available at: http://www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/bodreferencedisabilityweights.xls. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Williams A. Calculating the global burden of disease: Time for a strategic reappraisal? Health Econ. 1999;8:1–8. CrossRef
- World Health Report 2000. Health Systems: Improving Performance. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000.
- Topics in Global Public Health
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 10 , pp 2377-2384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 2nd Floor Wood Building, 34th Street & Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
- 2. University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 3. University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 4. The New York Society of International Humanitarian Surgeons (NYSIHS), New York, NY, USA
- 5. Department of Surgery, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, USA