Topics in Global Public Health
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deficiencies in the delivery of musculoskeletal trauma care in low- and middle-income countries can be attributed to a variety of causes, all of which can be linked to failure of the health system to deliver the necessary services to prevent death and disability. As such, a “systems” approach will be required to improve the delivery of services. The goal of this review is to familiarize the orthopaedic surgeon with selected topics in public health, including health systems, burden of disease, disability adjusted life year (DALY), cost-effective analysis, and related concepts (eg, met versus unmet need, access, utilization, effective coverage).
- Allotey, P, Reidpath, DD, Kouame, A, Cummins, R (2003) The DALY, context and the determinants of the severity of disease: An exploratory comparison of paraplegia in Australia and Cameroon. Soc Sci Med 57: pp. 949-958 CrossRef
- Anand, S, Hanson, K (1997) Disability-adjusted life years: A critical review. J Health Econ 16: pp. 685-702 CrossRef
- Arnesen, T, Kapirini, L (2004) Can the value choices in DALY’s influence global priority-setting?. Health Policy 70: pp. 137-139 CrossRef
- Arnesen, T, Nord, E (1999) The value of DALY life: Problems with ethics and validity of disability adjusted life years. BMJ 319: pp. 1423-1425
- Baltussen, R, Sylla, M, Mariotti, SP (2004) Cost-effectiveness analysis of cataract surgery: a global and regional analysis. Bull World Health Org 82: pp. 338-345
- Begg S, Tomijima N. Global burden of injury in the year 2000: An overview of methods. Available at: http://www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/statistics/bod_injuries.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Beveridge, M, Howard, A (2004) The burden of orthopedic disease in developing countries. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86: pp. 1819-1822
- Bickler, SW, Sanno-Duanda, B (2000) Epidemiology of pediatric surgical admissions to a government referral hospital in the Gambia. Bull World Health Org 78: pp. 1330-1336
- Debas, HT, Gosselin, RA, McCord, C, Thind, A Surgery. In: Jamison, DT, Breman, JG, Measham, AR, Alleyne, G, Claeson, M, Evans, DB, Jha, P, Mills, A, Musgrove, P eds. (2006) Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, pp. 1245-1260
- Gold, MR, Seigel, JE, Russel, LB, Weinstein, MC (1996) Cost-effectiveness in Health and Medicine. Oxford University Press, New York, NY
- Gosselin RA, Heitto M. Cost-effectiveness of a district trauma hospital in Battambang, Cambodia. World J Surg. In press, doi:10.1007/s00268-008-9708-4.
- Gosselin, RA, Thind, A, Bellardinelli, A (2006) Cost/DALY averted in a small hospital in Sierra Leone: What is the relative contribution of different services?. World J Surg 30: pp. 505-511 CrossRef
- Islam M, ed. Health systems assessment approach: A how-to manual. Submitted to the U.S. Agency for International Development in collaboration with Health Systems 20/20, Partners for Health Reformplus, Quality Assurance Program, and Rational Pharmaceutical Management Plus, Arlington, VA: Management Sciences for Health. Available at: http://www.healthsystems2020.org/content/resource/detail/528/). Accessed 8 June 2008.
- Laxminarayan, R, Mills, AJ, Breman, JG, Measham, AR, Alleyne, G, Claeson, M, Jha, P, Musgrove, P, Chow, J, Shahid-Salles, S, Jamison, DT (2006) Advancement of global health: key messages from the Disease Control Priorities Project. Lancet 367: pp. 1193-1208 CrossRef
- Lopez, AD, Mathers, CD, Ezzati, M, Jamison, DT, Murray, CJL eds. (2006) Global Burden of Disease, Risk Factors. World Bank and Oxford University Press, New York, NY
- Lozano, R, Soliz, P, Gakidou, E, Abbott-Klafter, J, Feehan, DM, Vidal, C, Ortiz, JP, Murray, CJ (2006) Benchmarking of performance of Mexican states with effective coverage. Lancet 368: pp. 1729-1741 CrossRef
- Mathers CD, Bernard C, Iburg KM, Inoue M, Ma Fat D, Shibuya K, Stein C, Tomijima N, Xu H. Global Burden of Disease in 2002: data sources, methods, and results. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper54.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Mathers, CD, Loncar, D (2006) Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med 3: pp. e442 CrossRef
- McCord, C, Chowdhury, Q (2003) A cost effective small hospital in Bangladesh: what it can mean for emergency obstetric care. Int J Gynaec Obstet 81: pp. 83-92 CrossRef
- Mock, CN, Adzotor, KE, Conklin, E, Denno, DM, Jurkovich, GJ (1993) Trauma outcomes in the rural developing world: comparison with an urban level I trauma center. J Trauma 35: pp. 518-523 CrossRef
- Mock, CN, Arreola-Risa, C, Quansah, R (2003) Strengthening care for injured persons in less developed countries: a case study of Ghana and Mexico. Inj Control Saf Promot 10: pp. 45-51 CrossRef
- Mock, C, Boland, E, Acheampong, F, Adjei, S (2003) Long-term injury related disability in Ghana. Dis Rehab 25: pp. 723-741
- Murray, CJL (1994) Quantifying the burden of disease: The technical basis for disability-adjusted life years. Bull World Health Org 72: pp. 429-445
- Murray, CJL, Acharya, AK (1997) Understanding DALYs. J Health Econ 16: pp. 703-730 CrossRef
- Murray, CJL, Evans, DB, Acharya, AK, Baltussen, R (2000) Development of WHO guidelines on generalized cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Econ 9: pp. 235-251 CrossRef
- Murray, CJL, Lopez, AD eds. (1996) The Global Burden of Disease: A Comprehensive Assessment of Mortality and Disability From Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors in 1990 and Projected to 2020. Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- Norton, R, Hyder, AA, Bishai, D, Peden, M Unintentional injuries. In: Jamison, D, Evans, D, Alleyne, G, Jha, P, Breman, J, Measham, A eds. (2006) Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 737-753
- Penchansky, R, Thomas, JW (1981) The concept of access: Definition and relationship to consumer satisfaction. Medical Care 19: pp. 127-140 CrossRef
- Reidpath, DD, Allotey, P, Kouame, A, Cummins, R (2003) Measuring health in a vacuum: Examining the disability weight of the DALY. Health Pol Plan 18: pp. 351-356 CrossRef
- Shengelia, B, Murray, CJL, Adams, OB Beyond access and utilization: Defining and measuring health system coverage. In: Murray, CJL, Evans, DB eds. (2003) Health Syetems Performance Assessment. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 221-234
- Shengelia, B, Tandon, A, Adams, OB, Muray, CJL (2005) Access, utilization, quality, and effective coverage: An integrated conceptual framework and measurement strategy. Soc Sci Med 61: pp. 97-109 CrossRef
- WHO annex. Table 3: Disability weights. Available at: http://www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/bodreferencedisabilityweights.xls. Accessed 29 April 2008.
- Williams, A (1999) Calculating the global burden of disease: Time for a strategic reappraisal?. Health Econ 8: pp. 1-8 CrossRef
- World Health Report 2000. Health Systems: Improving Performance. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000.
- Topics in Global Public Health
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 10 , pp 2377-2384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 2nd Floor Wood Building, 34th Street & Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
- 2. University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 3. University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 4. The New York Society of International Humanitarian Surgeons (NYSIHS), New York, NY, USA
- 5. Department of Surgery, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, USA