Femoral Component Positioning in Hip Resurfacing With and Without Navigation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Early failures after hip resurfacing often are the result of technical errors in placing the femoral component. We asked whether image-free computer navigation decreased the number of outliers compared with the conventional nonnavigated technique. We retrospectively compared 51 consecutive hip resurfacings performed using image-free computer navigation with 88 consecutive hip resurfacings performed without navigation. Patient demographics were similar. There were no differences in the average native femoral neck-shaft angles, planned stem-shaft angles, or postoperative stem-shaft angles. However, when the postoperative stem-shaft angle was compared with the planned stem-shaft angle, there were 33 patients (38%) in the nonnavigated group with a deviation greater than 5° in contrast to none in the navigated group. Notching was present in four patients in the nonnavigated group and none in the navigated group. The average operative time was 111 minutes for the navigated group and 105 minutes for the nonnavigated group. Image-free navigation decreased the number of patients with potentially undesirable implant placements.
Level of Evidence: Level III, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Amstutz HC, Beaule PE, Dorey FJ, Le Duff MJ, Campbell PA, Gruen TA. Metal-on-metal hybrid surface arthroplasty: two to six-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:28–39.
- Amstutz HC, Campbell PA, Le Duff MJ. Fracture of the neck of the femur after surface arthroplasty of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:1874–1877.
- Anglin C, Masri BA, Tonetti J, Hodgson AJ, Greidanus NV. Hip resurfacing femoral neck fracture influenced by valgus placement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;465:71–79.
- Bauwens K, Matthes G, Wich M, Gebhard F, Hanson B, Ekkernkamp A, Stengel D. Navigated total knee replacement: a meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:261–269. CrossRef
- Beaule PE, Dorey FJ, LeDuff M, Gruen T, Amstutz HC. Risk factors affecting outcome of metal-on-metal surface arthroplasty of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;418:87–93. CrossRef
- Beaule PE, Lee JL, Le Duff MJ, Amstutz HC, Ebramzadeh E. Orientation of the femoral component in surface arthroplasty of the hip: a biomechanical and clinical analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:2015–2021.
- Belei P, Skwara A, De La Fuente M, Schkommodau E, Fuchs S, Wirtz DC, Kamper C, Radermacher K. Fluoroscopic navigation system for hip surface replacement. Comput Aided Surg. 2007;12:160–167. CrossRef
- Bell RS, Schatzker J, Fornasier VL, Goodman SB. A study of implant failure in the Wagner resurfacing arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1985;67:1165–1175.
- Beringer DC, Patel JJ, Bozic KJ. An overview of economic issues in computer-assisted total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;463:26–30.
- Bolognesi M, Hofmann A. Computer navigation versus standard instrumentation for TKA: a single-surgeon experience. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;440:162–169. CrossRef
- Boyd HS, Ulrich SD, Seyler TM, Marulanda GA, Mont MA. Resurfacing for Perthes disease: an alternative to standard hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;465:80–85.
- Chin PL, Yang KY, Yeo SJ, Lo NN. Randomized control trial comparing radiographic total knee arthroplasty implant placement using computer navigation versus conventional technique. J Arthroplasty. 2005;20:618–626. CrossRef
- Cobb JP, Kannan V, Brust K, Thevendran G. Navigation reduces the learning curve in resurfacing total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;463:90–97.
- Davis ET, Gallie P, Macgroarty K, Waddell JP, Schemitsch E. The accuracy of image-free computer navigation in the placement of the femoral component of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing: a cadaver study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:557–560. CrossRef
- Freeman MA. Some anatomical and mechanical considerations relevant to the surface replacement of the femoral head. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978;134:19–24.
- Haaker RG, Stockheim M, Kamp M, Proff G, Breitenfelder J, Ottersbach A. Computer-assisted navigation increases precision of component placement in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;433:152–159. CrossRef
- Hess T, Gampe T, Kottgen C, Szawlowski B. [Intraoperative navigation for hip resurfacing: methods and first results][in German]. Orthopade. 2004;33:1183–1193. CrossRef
- Howie DW, Campbell D, McGee M, Cornish BL. Wagner resurfacing hip arthroplasty: the results of one hundred consecutive arthroplasties after eight to ten years. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72:708–714.
- Howie DW, Cornish BL, Vernon-Roberts B. Resurfacing hip arthroplasty: classification of loosening and the role of prosthesis wear particles. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;255:144–159.
- Kruger S, Zambelli PY, Leyvraz PF, Jolles BM. Computer-assisted placement technique in hip resurfacing arthroplasty: improvement in accuracy? Int Orthop. Aug 24 2007 [Epub ahead of print].
- Picard F, Deakin AH, Clarke JV, Dillon JM, Gregori A. Using navigation intraoperative measurements narrows range of outcomes in TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;463:50–57.
- Ritter MA, Gioe TJ. Conventional versus resurfacing total hip arthroplasty: a long-term prospective study of concomitant bilateral implantation of prostheses. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1986;68:216–225.
- Shimmin AJ, Back D. Femoral neck fractures following Birmingham hip resurfacing: a national review of 50 cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87:463–464. CrossRef
- Vendittoli PA, Lavigne M, Roy AG, Girard J. Removal of acetabular bone in resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006;88:838–839. CrossRef
- Victor J, Hoste D. Image-based computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty leads to lower variability in coronal alignment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;428:131–139. CrossRef
- Wirth CJ, Gosse F. Improved implantation technique for resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip. Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2006;18:214–224. CrossRef
- Femoral Component Positioning in Hip Resurfacing With and Without Navigation
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 467, Issue 5 , pp 1341-1347
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
- 2. Department of Surgery, Montreal University, Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, 5415 Boul L’Assomption, Montreal, QC, Canada, H1T 2M4
- 3. Department of Orthopaedics, Dresden University, Dresden, Germany