Successful Management of Tendinopathy With Injections of the MMP-inhibitor Aprotinin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Aprotinin is a broad spectrum proteinase inhibitor (including matrix metalloproteinase [MMP] inhibitor) used for treating patellar and Achilles tendinopathies. One previous randomized control trial demonstrated aprotinin injections superior to both corticosteroid and saline injections in patellar tendinopathy (Level II), whereas results reported for aprotinin treatment in Achilles tendinopathy have been mixed. We performed a case review and followup questionnaire for 430 consecutive patients with tendinopathy treated by 997 aprotinin injections (30,000 KIU). A response rate of 72% was achieved with a minimum followup of 3 months (average, 12.2 months; range, 3–54 months). Seventy-six percent of patients had improved, 22% of patients reported no change, and 2% were worse. Sixty-four percent of patients thought aprotinin injections were helpful, while 36% believed they had neither a positive nor negative effect. Mid-Achilles tendinopathy patients (84% improvement) were more successfully treated than patellar tendinopathy patients (69% improvement). Despite stronger published evidence of benefit in patellar tendinopathy, clinical outcomes appeared better with aprotinin use in Achilles tendinopathies.
Level of Evidence: Level IV, case series. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Alfredson H, Lorentzon M, Backman S, Backman A, Lerner U. cDNA-arrays and real time quantitative PCR techniques in the investigation of chronic human Achilles tendinopathy. J Orthop Res. 2003;21:970–975. CrossRef
- Apeler H, Peters J, Schröder W, Schneider KH, Lemm G, Hinz V, Rossouw GW, Dembowsky K. Expression, purification, biochemical and pharmacological characterization of a recombinant aprotinin variant. Arzneimittelforschung. 2004;54:483–497.
- Aubin F, Javaudin L, Rochcongar P. Case report of aprotinin in Achilles tendinopathies with athletes [in French]. J Pharmacie Clinique. 1997;16:270–273.
- Beierlein W, Scheule A, Dietrich W, Ziemer G. Forty years of clinical aprotinin use: a review of 124 hypersensitivity reactions. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2005;79:741–748. CrossRef
- Berton A, Lorimier S, Emonard H, Laurent-Maquin D, Hornebeck W, Bellon G. Contribution of the plasmin/matrix metallopoteinase cascade to the retraction of human fibroblast populated collagen lattices. Mol Cell Biol Res Commun. 2000;3:173–180. CrossRef
- Bojanov G, Belani KG. Aprotinin - an update for the perioperative physician. Ann Card Anaesth. 2005;8:75–80.
- Brown R, Orchard J, Kinchington M, Hooper A, Nalder G. Aprotinin in the management of Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40:275–279. CrossRef
- Brukner P, Khan K. Clinical Sports Medicine, 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill: Sydney; 2006.
- Capasso G, Maffulli N, Testa V, Sgambato A. Preliminary results with peritendinous potease inhibitor injections in the management of Achilles tendinitis. J Sports Traumatol Rel Res. 1993;15:37–40.
- Capasso G, Testa V, Maffulli N, Bifulco G. Aprotinin, corticosteroids and normosaline in the management of patellar tendinopathy in athletes: a prospective randomized study. Sports Exerc Injury. 1997;3:111–115.
- Cederholm-Williams SA. Fibrin glue [letter]. BMJ. 1994;308:1570.
- Chu SC, Yang SF, Lue KH, Hsieh YS, Wu CL, Lu KH. Regulation of gelatinases expression by cytokines, endotoxin, and pharmacological agents in the human osteoarthritic knee. Connect Tissue Res. 2004;45:142–150. CrossRef
- Coleman C, Rigali V, Hammond J, Kluger J, Jeleniowski K, White C. Evaluating the safety implications of aprotinin use: the Retrospective Evaluation of Aprotinin in Cardio Thoracic Surgery (REACTS). J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;133:1547–1552. CrossRef
- Collen A, Hanemaaijer R, Lupu F, Quax P, van Lent N, Grimbergen J, Peters E, Koolwijk P, van Hinsbergh V. Membrane-type maxtrix metelloproteinase-mediated angiogenesis in a fibrin-collagen matrix. Blood. 2003;101:1810–1817. CrossRef
- DaCruz D, Geeson M, Allen M, Phair I. Achilles paratendonitis: an evaluation of steroid injection. Br J Sports Med. 1988;22:64–65. CrossRef
- Davis G, Pintar Allen KA, Salazar R, Maxwell SA. Matrix metalloproteinase-1 and -9 activation by plasmin regulates a novel endothelial cell-mediated mechanism of collagen gel contraction and capillary tube regression in three-dimensional collagen matrices. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:917–930.
- de Mos M, van El B, DeGroot J, Jahr H, van Schie H, van Arkel E, Tol H, KHeijboer R, van Osch G, Verhaar J. Achilles tendinosis: changes in biochemical composition and collagen turnover rate. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35:1549–1556. CrossRef
- Dietrich W, Späth P, Zühlsdorf M, Dalichau H, Kirchhoff PG, Kuppe H, Preiss DU, Mayer G. Anaphylactic reactions to aprotinin reexposure in cardiac surgery: relation to antiaprotinin immunoglobulin G and E antibodies. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:64–71. CrossRef
- Dollery C, ed. Therapeutic Drugs. Edinburgh UK: Churchill Livingstone; 1991.
- Druce J, Locarnini S, Birch C. Isolation of HIV-1 from experimentally contaminated multidose local anaesthetic vials. Med J Aus. 1995;162:513–515.
- Fu S, Chan B, Wang W, Pau H, Chan K, Rolf C. Increased expression of matrix metalloproteinase 1 (MMP1) in 11 patients with patellar tendinosis. Acta Orthop Scand. 2002;73:658–662. CrossRef
- Genety J, Pernin E. Utilisation du Zymofren® dans le traitement des tendinites chez le sportif. Cahiers Méd Lyonnais. 1971;47:135–139.
- Gill SS, Gelbke MK, Mattson SL, Anderson MW, Hurwitz SR. Fluoroscopically guided low-volume peritendinous corticosteroid injection for Achilles tendinopathy. A safety study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86:802–806.
- Golker C, Whiteman M, Gugel K, Gilles R, Stadler P, Kovatch R, Lister D, Wisher M, Calcagni C, Hubner G. Reduction of the infectivity of scrapie agent as a model for BSE in the manufacturing process of Trasylol. Biologicals. 1996;24:103–111. CrossRef
- Hausenloy D, Pagano D, Keogh B. Aprotinin—still courting controversy. Lancet. 2008;371:449–450. CrossRef
- Ireland D, Harrall R, Curry V, Holloway G, Hackney R, Hazleman B, Riley G. Multiple changes in gene expression in chronic human Achilles tendinopathy. Matrix Biol. 2001;20:159–169. CrossRef
- Komurcu M, Akkus O, Basbozkurt M, Gur E, Akkas N. Reduction of restrictive adhesions by local aprotinin application and primary sheath repair in surgically traumatized flexor tendons of the rabbit. J Hand Surg Am. 1997;22:826–832. CrossRef
- Lee E, Vaughan DE, Parikh SH, Grodzinsky AJ, Libby P, Lark MW, Lee RT. Regulation of matrix metalloproteinases and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 synthesis by plasminogen in clutured human vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 1996;78:44–49.
- Lo I, Marchuk L, Hollinshead R, Hart D, Frank C. Matrix metalloproteinase and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase mRNA levels are specifically altered in torn rotator cuff tendons. Am J Sports Med. 2004;32:1223–1229. CrossRef
- Maffulli N, Testa V, Capasso G, Sullo A. Calcific insertional Achilles tendinopathy. Reattachment with bone anchors. Am J Sports Med. 2004;32:174–182. CrossRef
- Magra M, Maffulli N. Matrix metalloproteases: a role in overuse tendinopathies. Br J Sports Med. 2005;39:789–791. CrossRef
- Mangano D, Tudor I, Dietzel C. Group MSoPIR, Foundation IRaE. The risk associated with aprotinin in cardiac surgery. New Engl J Med. 2006;354:353–365. CrossRef
- Mouton R, Finch D, Davies I, Binks A, Zacharowski K. Effect of aprotinin on renal dysfunction in patients undergoing on-pump and off-pump cardiac surgery: a retrospective observational study. Lancet. 2008;371:475–482. CrossRef
- National Health and Medical Research Council Web site. National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research. Available at: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/synopses/_files/e72.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2007.
- Orchard J, Hofman J, Brown R. The risks of local aprotinin injections for treating chronic tendinopathy. Sport Health. 2005;23:24–28.
- Orchard J, Massey A, Rimmer J, Hofman J, Brown R. Delay of 6 weeks between aprotinin injections for tendinopathy reduces risk of allergic reaction. J Sci Med Sport. 2007: Aug 11 epub ahead of print.
- Rabago D, Best TM, Beamsley M, Patterson J. A systematic review of prolotherapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain. Clin J Sport Med. 2005;15:376–380. CrossRef
- Rochcongar P, Thoribe B, Le Beux P, Jan J. Tendinopathie calcanéenne et sport : place des injections d’aprotinin. Sci Sports. 2005;20:261–267. CrossRef
- Rukin NJ, Maffulli N. Systemic allergic reactions to aprotinin injection around the Achilles tendon. J Sci Med Sport. 2007;10:320–322. CrossRef
- Successful Management of Tendinopathy With Injections of the MMP-inhibitor Aprotinin
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 7 , pp 1625-1632
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sports Medicine at Sydney University, University of Sydney, Cnr Western Ave & Physics Rd, Sydney, 2006, Australia
- 2. University of Bath, Bath, UK
- 3. Brisbane Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- 4. University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 5. Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands