Ethanol May Suppress Wnt/β-catenin Signaling on Human Bone Marrow Stroma Cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ethanol and glucocorticoids are risk factors associated with osteonecrosis. Previous reports suggest ethanol and glucocorticoids induce adipogenesis, decrease osteogenesis in bone marrow stroma cells, and produce intracellular lipid deposits resulting in death of osteocytes. The Wnt/β-catenin signal pathway is involved in the regulation of homeostasis of bone and we presume glucocorticoids and ethanol may induce osteonecrosis in humans through a similar mechanism as in rodents. We hypothesized (1) ethanol, like glucocorticoids, decreases osteogenesis and increases adipogenesis through the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway in human bone marrow stromal cells; and (2) ethanol decreases intranuclear translocation of β-catenin. We found both dexamethasone and ethanol decrease the gene and protein expression of osteogenesis and increase that of adipogenesis through Wnt signaling-related genes by semiquantitative and quantitative polymerase chain reaction and Western blot. Ethanol hampered intranuclear translocation of β-catenin by immunofluorescence analysis. The data suggest the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway may be associated with ethanol-induced osteonecrosis.
- Arlet J. Nontraumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Past, present, and future. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;277:12–21.
- Babij P, Zhao W, Small C, Kharode Y, Yaworsky PJ, Bouxsein ML, Reddy PS, Bodine PV, Robinson JA, Bhat B, Marzolf J, Moran RA, Bex F. High bone mass in mice expressing a mutant LRP5 gene. J Bone Miner Res. 2003;18:960–974. CrossRef
- Calder JD, Buttery L, Revell PA, Pearse M, Polak JM. Apoptosis—a significant cause of bone cell death in osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:1209–1213. CrossRef
- Chang JK, Ho ML, Yeh CH, Chen CH, Wang GJ. Osteogenic gene expression decreases in stromal cells of patients with osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;453:286–292. CrossRef
- Chen CH, Ho ML, Chang JK, Hung SH, Wang GJ. Green tea catechin enhances osteogenesis in a bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell line. Osteoporos Int. 2005;16:2039–2045. CrossRef
- Crease DJ, Dyson S, Gurdon JB. Cooperation between the activin and Wnt pathways in the spatial control of organizer gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1998;95:4398–4403. CrossRef
- Cui Q, Wang GJ, Balian G. Steroid-induced adipogenesis in a pluripotential cell line from bone marrow. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79:1054–1063.
- Cui Q, Wang GJ, Su CC, Balian G. The Otto Aufranc Award. Lovastatin prevents steroid induced adipogenesis and osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;344:8–19. CrossRef
- Cui Q, Wang Y, Saleh KJ, Wang GJ, Balian G. Alcohol-induced adipogenesis in a cloned bone-marrow stem cell. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88(Suppl 3):148–154. CrossRef
- Deregowski V, Gazzerro E, Priest L, Rydziel S, Canalis E. Notch 1 overexpression inhibits osteoblastogenesis by suppressing Wnt/beta-catenin but not bone morphogenetic protein signaling. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:6203–6210. CrossRef
- Felson DT, Anderson JJ. Across-study evaluation of association between steroid dose and bolus steroids and avascular necrosis of bone. Lancet. 1987;1:902–906. CrossRef
- Gaur T, Lengner CJ, Hovhannisyan H, Bhat RA, Bodine PV, Komm BS, Javed A, van Wijnen AJ, Stein JL, Stein GS, Lian JB. Canonical WNT signaling promotes osteogenesis by directly stimulating Runx2 gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:33132–33140. CrossRef
- Haynesworth SE, Baber MA, Caplan AI. Cell surface antigens on human marrow-derived mesenchymal cells are detected by monoclonal antibodies. Bone. 1992;13:69–80. CrossRef
- He X, Semenov M, Tamai K, Zeng X. LDL receptor-related proteins 5 and 6 in Wnt/beta-catenin signaling: arrows point the way. Development. 2004;131:1663–1677. CrossRef
- Hirota Y, Hirohata T, Fukuda K, Mori M, Yanagawa H, Ohno Y, Sugioka Y. Association of alcohol intake, cigarette smoking, and occupational status with the risk of idiopathic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Am J Epidemiol. 1993;137:530–538.
- Hungerford DS, Lennox DW. The importance of increased intraosseous pressure in the development of osteonecrosis of the femoral head: implications for treatment. Orthop Clin North Am. 1985;16:635–654.
- Hungerford DS, Zizic TM. Alcoholism associated ischemic necrosis of the femoral head. Early diagnosis and treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978;130:144–153.
- Jacobs B. Epidemiology of traumatic and nontraumatic osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978;130:51–67.
- Jaiswal N, Haynesworth SE, Caplan AI, Bruder SP. Osteogenic differentiation of purified, culture-expanded human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro. J Cell Biochem. 1997;64:295–312. CrossRef
- Kengaku M, Capdevila J, Rodriguez-Esteban C, De La Pena J, Johnson RL, Belmonte JC, Tabin CJ. Distinct WNT pathways regulating AER formation and dorsoventral polarity in the chick limb bud. Science. 1998;280:1274–1277. CrossRef
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C[T]) method. Methods. 2001;25:402–408. CrossRef
- Logan CY, Nusse R. The Wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2004;20:781–810. CrossRef
- Mankin HJ. Nontraumatic necrosis of bone (osteonecrosis). N Engl J Med. 1992;326:1473–1479. CrossRef
- Mont MA, Hungerford DS. Non-traumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:459–474.
- Nakashima A, Katagiri T, Tamura M. Cross-talk between Wnt and bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2) signaling in differentiation pathway of C2C12 myoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:37660–37668. CrossRef
- Varga AC, Wrana JL. The disparate role of BMP in stem cell biology. Oncogene. 2005;24:5713–5721. CrossRef
- Wang FS, Lin CL, Chen YJ, Wang CJ, Yang KD, Huang YT, Sun YC, Huang HC. Secreted frizzled-related protein 1 modulates glucocorticoid attenuation of osteogenic activities and bone mass. Endocrinology. 2005;146:2415–2423. CrossRef
- Wang Y, Li Y, Mao K, Li J, Cui Q, Wang GJ. Alcohol-induced adipogenesis in bone and marrow: a possible mechanism for osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;410:213–224. CrossRef
- Westendorf JJ, Kahler RA, Schroeder TM. Wnt signaling in osteoblasts and bone diseases. Gene. 2004;341:19–39. CrossRef
- Zuk PA, Zhu M, Mizuno H, Huang J, Futrell JW, Katz AJ, Benhaim P, Lorenz HP, Hedrick MH. Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for cell-based therapies. Tissue Eng. 2001;7:211–228. CrossRef
- Ethanol May Suppress Wnt/β-catenin Signaling on Human Bone Marrow Stroma Cells
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 5 , pp 1047-1053
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 2. Orthopaedic Research Center, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 3. Graduate Institute of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 4. Department of Orthopaedics, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, No 100 Shi-Chuan 1st Road, San Ming District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
- 5. Department of Orthopaedics, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan