Alumina-on-Alumina Hip Arthroplasty in Patients Younger Than 30 Years Old
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
THA in patients younger than 30 years old presents challenges: the initial technical challenge relates to the initial disease that often causes deformities making reconstruction difficult, while the long-term challenge is wear and subsequent osteolysis and component loosening. Ceramic-on-ceramic prostheses may represent a valuable option to reduce wear. We retrospectively studied 101 patients (132 hips) with ceramic-on-ceramic prostheses implanted from 1977 to 2004. As a result of the long span of time, different implant designs and modes of fixation were used. The average age of the patients was 23.4 ± 5 years (range, 13–30 years), and the main indication for THA was femoral head necrosis. The minimum followup was 1 year (mean, 6.9 years; range, 1–26.5 years). We documented 17 revisions (13%) for aseptic loosening. Twelve were for isolated acetabular loosening, two for isolated femoral loosening, and three for loosening of both components. Survivorship was 82.1% at 10 years and 72.4% at 15 years. Inferior survivorship was observed for THA performed after secondary arthritis related to slipped capital epiphysis or trauma. Limited osteolysis was observed in one hip. The main limiting factor in this series was the fixation of the acetabular component. However, improvements in the design and in the mode of fixation of this component should enhance long-term results.
Level of Evidence: Level IV, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- Acurio MT, Friedman RJ. Hip arthroplasty in patients with sickle-cell haemoglobinopathy. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992;74:367–371.
- Al-Mousawi F, Malki A, Al-Aradi A, Al-Bagali M, Al-Sadadi A, Booz MM. Total hip replacement in sickle cell disease. Int Orthop. 2002;26:157–161. CrossRef
- Armitage P, Berry G. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 3rd ed. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishers; 1994.
- Bellabarba C, Berger RA, Bentley CD, Quigley LR, Jacobs JJ, Rosenberg AG, Sheinkop MB, Galante JO. Cementless acetabular reconstruction after acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83:868–876. CrossRef
- Berger RA, Jacobs JJ, Quigley LR, Rosenberg AG, Galante JO. Primary cementless acetabular reconstruction in patients younger than 50 years old. 7- to 11-year results Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997;344:216–226. CrossRef
- Berry DJ, Halasy M. Uncemented acetabular components for arthritis after acetabular fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002;405:164–167. CrossRef
- Bizot P, Banallec L, Sedel L, Nizard R. Alumina-on-alumina total hip prostheses in patients 40 years of age or younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;379:68–76. CrossRef
- Bizot P, Hannouche D, Nizard R, Witvoet J, Sedel L. Hybrid alumina total hip arthroplasty using a press-fit metal-backed socket in patients younger than 55 years. A six- to 11-year evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:190–194. CrossRef
- Brodner W, Grohs JG, Bancher-Todesca D, Dorotka R, Meisinger V, Gottsauner-Wolf F, Kotz R. Does the placenta inhibit the passage of chromium and cobalt after metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2004;19(8 Suppl 3):102–106. CrossRef
- Chandler HP, Reineck FT, Wixson RL, McCarthy JC. Total hip replacement in patients younger than thirty years old. A five-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1981;63:1426–1434.
- Christel PS. Biocompatibility of surgical-grade dense polycrystalline alumina. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;282:10–18.
- Cuckler JM. The rationale for metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;441:132–136. CrossRef
- D’Antonio J, Capello W, Manley M, Naughton M, Sutton K. Alumina ceramic bearings for total hip arthroplasty: five-year results of a prospective randomized study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;436:164–171. CrossRef
- D’Aubigne RM, Postel M. Functional results of hip arthroplasty with acrylic prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1954;36:451–475.
- Davies AP, Sood A, Lewis AC, Newson R, Learmonth ID, Case CP. Metal-specific differences in levels of DNA damage caused by synovial fluid recovered at revision arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87;10:1439–1444.
- DeLee JG, Charnley J. Radiological demarcation of cemented sockets in total hip replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;121:20–32.
- Devitt A, O’Sullivan T, Quinlan W. 16- to 25-year follow-up study of cemented arthroplasty of the hip in patients aged 50 years or younger. J Arthroplasty. 1997;12:479–489. CrossRef
- Dorr LD, Kane TJ, 3rd, Conaty JP. Long-term results of cemented total hip arthroplasty in patients 45 years old or younger. A 16-year follow-up study. J Arthroplasty. 1994;9:453–456. CrossRef
- Dorr LD, Long WT. Metal-on-metal: articulations for the new millennium. Instr Course Lect. 2005;54:177–182.
- Dudkiewicz I, Salai M, Israeli A, Amit Y, Chechick A. Total hip arthroplasty in patients younger than 30 years of age. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:709–712.
- Dumbleton JH, Manley MT. Metal-on-Metal total hip replacement: what does the literature say? J Arthroplasty. 2005;20:174–188. CrossRef
- Emery DF, Clarke HJ, Grover ML. Stanmore total hip replacement in younger patients: review of a group of patients under 50 years of age at operation. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997;79:240–246. CrossRef
- Eskelinen A, Remes V, Helenius I, Pulkkinen P, Nevalainen J, Paavolainen P. Total hip arthroplasty for primary osteoarthrosis in younger patients in the Finnish arthroplasty register. 4,661 primary replacements followed for 0–22 years. Acta Orthop. 2005;76:28–41. CrossRef
- Gruen TA, McNeice GM, Amstutz HC. “Modes of failure” of cemented stem-type femoral components: a radiographic analysis of loosening. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979;141:17–27.
- Ha YC, Koo KH, Jeong ST, Joon Yoo J, Kim YM, Joong Kim H. Cementless alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty in patients younger than 50 years: a 5-year minimum follow-up study. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22:184–188. CrossRef
- Halley DK, Charnley J. Results of low friction arthroplasty in patients thirty years of age or younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1975;112:180–191. CrossRef
- Halley DK, Wroblewski BM. Long-term results of low-friction arthroplasty in patients 30 years of age or younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986;211:43–50.
- Hamadouche M, Boutin P, Daussange J, Bolander ME, Sedel L. Alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty: a minimum 18.5-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:69–77.
- Hamadouche M, Nizard RS, Meunier A, Bizot P, Sedel L. Cementless bulk alumina socket: preliminary results at 6 years. J Arthroplasty. 1999;14:701–707. CrossRef
- Hernigou P, Odent T, Manicom O, Nogier A, Bachir D, Galacteros F. [Total hip arthroplasty for the treatment of septic hip arthritis in adults with sickle-cell disease]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2004;90:557–560.
- Karol LA, Halliday SE, Gourineni P. Gait and function after intra-articular arthrodesis of the hip in adolescents. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000;82:561–569. CrossRef
- Kearns SR, Jamal B, Rorabeck CH, Bourne RB. Factors affecting survival of uncemented total hip arthroplasty in patients 50 years or younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;453:103–109. CrossRef
- McAuley JP, Szuszczewicz ES, Young A, Engh CA Sr. Total hip arthroplasty in patients 50 years and younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;418:119–125. CrossRef
- Moran MC, Huo MH, Garvin KL, Pellicci PM, Salvati EA. Total hip arthroplasty in sickle cell hemoglobinopathy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993;294:140–148.
- Nizard R, Sedel L, Hannouche D, Hamadouche M, Bizot P. Alumina pairing in total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87:755–758. CrossRef
- Nizard RS, Sedel L, Christel P, Meunier A, Soudry M, Witvoet J. Ten-year survivorship of cemented ceramic-ceramic total hip prosthesis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;282:53–63.
- Rieker CB, Schon R, Kottig P. Development and validation of a second-generation metal-on-metal bearing: laboratory studies and analysis of retrievals. J Arthroplasty. 2004;19(8 Suppl 3):5–11.
- Roberts CS, Fetto JF. Functional outcome of hip fusion in the young patient. Follow-up study of 10 patients. J Arthroplasty. 1990;5:89–96. CrossRef
- Schmalzried TP, Shepherd EF, Dorey FJ, Jackson WO, dela Rosa M, Fa’vae F, McKellop HA, McClung CD, Martell J, Moreland JR, Amstutz HC. The John Charnley Award. Wear is a function of use, not time. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;381:36–46. CrossRef
- Schmalzried TP, Szuszczewicz ES, Northfield MR, Akizuki KH, Frankel RE, Belcher G, Amstutz HC. Quantitative assessment of walking activity after total hip or knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:54–59. CrossRef
- Sedel L, Nizard RS, Kerboull L, Witvoet J. Alumina-alumina hip replacement in patients younger than 50 years old. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;298:175–183.
- Stover MD, Beaule PE, Matta JM, Mast JW. Hip arthrodesis: a procedure for the new millennium? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;418:126–133. CrossRef
- Visuri TI, Pukkala E, Pulkkinen P, Paavolainen P. Cancer incidence and causes of death among total hip replacement patients: a review based on Nordic cohorts with a special emphasis on metal-on-metal bearings. Proc Inst Mech Eng [H]. 2006;220:399–407.
- Weber M, Berry DJ, Harmsen WS. Total hip arthroplasty after operative treatment of an acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998;80:1295–1305.
- Willert HG, Buchhorn GH, Fayyazi A, Flury R, Windler M, Koster G, Lohmann CH. Metal-on-metal bearings and hypersensitivity in patients with artificial hip joints. A clinical and histomorphological study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:28–36. CrossRef
- Witvoet J, Darman Z, Christel P, Fumery F. Total arthroplasty of the hip with a screwed titanium ring cup: follow-up of 446 prostheses over four years [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1993;79:542–552.
- Yoo JJ, Kim YM, Yoon KS, Koo KH, Kim JW, Nam KW, Kim HJ. Contemporary alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty performed in patients younger than forty years: a 5-year minimum follow-up study. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2006;78:70–75.
- Ziaee H, Daniel J, Datta AK, Blunt S, McMinn DJ. Transplacental transfer of cobalt and chromium in patients with metal-on-metal hip arthroplasty: a controlled study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89:301–305.
- Alumina-on-Alumina Hip Arthroplasty in Patients Younger Than 30 Years Old
Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Volume 466, Issue 2 , pp 317-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors